• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is a Tucker for me?

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey everybody, great forum y'all got here! The info and especially the pics are awesome!! I just can't seem to find the answer to one question..... Is a Sno Cat for me?

We have a cabin up in the mountains in Montrose Co. It sits at 9,990 feet and is obviously inaccessible, except by Snow Cat, for a large portion of the year. We have friends that live out there try to make it up on snowmobiles, UTVs with tracks, etc and no one ever can. We spend a good bit of time out there in the summer and as time goes on and the kids get older we want to do things like Christmas at the cabin, New Years, or just be out there for a couple weeks during the winter, etc. Obviously gotta be able to get there to do any of that cool stuff. The only machine I have seen that I would own is a Tucker. They remind me of the old Landcruisers. Veryyyy Cool!

Problem is, we live in Atlanta and there aren't too many Tuckers down here! haha! So I have zero experience with them. The thing would not get many hours on it per year at all but when we head out there it has got to be reliable. Is it reasonable to expect to own one, keep it parked the vast majority of the year but maintain it properly and not have a bunch of headaches out of it when we do want to use it? I'm sure with an unlimited budget that is no problem. Unfortunately we have a limited budget. I have a bunch of questions after that, but I think that is the most important one.

Thanks!
Chad

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it were me I would want a secure place to leave it out of the weather and someone who could check on it and possibly maintain it while you are go to ensure it works when you get there.

Shit happens even with brand new stuff.

What would happen if you show up and it does have a problem?

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
I do have a place like that out there that I was planning on parking it. Wouldn't be out of the weather though, I'd have to tarp it. I could definitely get it ran a few times a year.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
maybe I'm missing something here if you can't get a modern snowmachine up there I'm thinking a cat isn't going to either. I have a machine intended for climbing and any mountain sled will out high mark it.the advantage of a cat you can keep the trail packed

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow! Maybe I am the one missing something! All I have been told is your gonna need a snow cat to get up there consistently. I know there is a million different kinds of snow but I assumed a cat could handle more of any kind of snow than a snowmobile? No?

My father in law built the place 20 years ago. I have heard stories of people riding snow mobiles up there years ago but everyone that I know of that has tried hasn't made it. Maybe they're not good riders, I don't know.

tomelroy

I snowcat with a blade can remove drifts and keep the road level. You cant do that with a snowmobile. You can also haul a lot of gear and passengers.

I got into snowcats because i am an avid snowmachiner(snowmobile). In 1989 my wife and I with our newborn girl had bought some remote property to build a cabin about 3 miles from the road. Back then the Petersville area of Alaska got epic snowfalls and that year we had over 12' on the level and the following year we had over 16' on the level. The normal(back then:unsure:) was at least 10' on the level. It snowed 2-3' per storm consistently. My Dad had an Alpine and I had a new Cheetah long track and we sometimes spent 5-8 hrs going into the property on fairly level ground. I knew my wife was not going to put up with waiting in the truck while I put in the trail every weekend nor was she interested in slogging through the deep snow with a newborn and all our gear. I saw on the news where they were using these snowcat things to pack down trails for the moose and instantly knew that was what I needed. I bought a Bombi that summer and the next year, WOW!!! I was hooked.

In any event a snowcat will do things a snowmobile will not in certain conditions and like wise a snowmobile will do things a snowcat will not. I ride an M8 up steep mountain slopes that no snowcat would climb, even a winch cat. I also can cruise by the most powerful modern snowmobile with my snowcat when the snow is fresh and real deep.

I think you are on the right track in getting a snowcat for your purposes, the only thing I would emphasize is treat the maintenance and upkeep as if it were an airplane. The last thing you want to have is a mechanical issue out in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, in the middle of a blizzard with no communication. A snowcat can easily take you into very remote and unfriendly terrain.

Carry some survival gear too as well as tools. Know how everything works. The older snowcats, and most new ones, are dirt simple but get familiar with the model you end up with. Learn how to drive them without getting stuck, they will go most anywhere but you have to be patient in difficult situations. I personally would only have one with a blade on it, but I have a lot of creek crossings and off camber terrain. Be careful, they are very addicting!:biggrin:

Randy

akimp

A modern Snowmobile will climb near vertical and reach scary places no Sno Cat could follow. The down side is there not warm and takes experience to drive them if its steep and deep. You should talk with some locals and see if they have any Sno Cats that access that neck of the woods. If you buy two Snowmobiles your talking about 24 grand so for 30 grand you could have a nice Sno Cat. Check out SnoTrans in Idaho I really like the LMC 1500 Wide track and they have some pristine older tuckers. Just my two cents. Have Fun!!!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you are right Randy I have towed many sleds out with my little snow trac but if you have to climb in powder or soft snow it's hard to beat the power to weight ratio of a sled. with a sled knowing how to operate it is just as important as a cat

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
With the Tuckers, what is the big difference between the pontoon tracks or the tracks with the rollers? Is one more desirable than the other? Also, is it accurate to say that the tracks with 6 rollers have a lighter footprint than the tracks with 5 rollers?

jp11

My recommendation would be to find someone on here to RENT. Not for you to use.. just as a trial. Might be worth a grand to have someone come out, give it a shot getting to you cabin. It would let you see how a snowcat works, and get some real world experience on the trail you want to run. Could be a relatively cheap way to find out what works, and what won't.

JP

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With the Tuckers, what is the big difference between the pontoon tracks or the tracks with the rollers? Is one more desirable than the other? Also, is it accurate to say that the tracks with 6 rollers have a lighter footprint than the tracks with 5 rollers?

Rubber tracks w/ steel grousers are much less labor intensive than steel track w/ pontoons. A 1600 series (6 wheels / carrier) will have a lighter footprint than a 1500 or 1400 series (all other things being equal). But the 1600 typically had a four door cab w/ bed that I'm guessing you would be looking for which will make it a little heavier.

And, I believe if you were to invite a Tucker owner to see if their cat could make it to the cabin in trade for food, beer & fuel, I'm betting someone would take you up on it.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And I don't know the background of this rig http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=70216

But I'm guessing this would fit the bill and still get you where the 1600 series would go. Another option would be to buy into a partnership of some sort. With the right person it stays in motion, maintenance is taken care of and you get to use it for access to your camp when needed.

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
You may want to consider getting a machine with a blade. If you have any side hills on your access road,can really make ALL the difference. A tucker is basically a dodge truck with tracks,maintence is pretty straight forward. The rubber belted tracks are less maintence in my opinion than the older steel pontoons. Had an imp for awhile,also very basic machine to work on,but the brake steer was a handicap when CLIMBING in deeper snow. I also have a quad with tracks,lots of fun,but can't do what a good snowcat can! Keep us posted as to what you end up with.

tomelroy

At 9,900 feet you will likely need a blade...most older tucker do not have blades. You also would benefit from a turbo or at least fuel injection.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
Davenet is on the mark. I live in grand junction which is 60 miles from Montrose and I know the area well having spent lots of time on the Grand Mesa -Uncomphagre areas. I run my cat on the Mesa a lot @ 10000 ft. I would be happy to take you into your cabin or run you around on the Mesa just so you see for yourself how my Tucker works. We went through the same exercise some years back and I understand exactly what you are dealing with. I own snowmobiles as well but use the Tucker when I want to stay warm and haul people.

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
Wow you guys are awesome!! Thanks for all the input!
Davenet - I have already been looking at that rig! It looks perfect for what we want to do!
Northcoast - I was thinking a blade would be a good idea. They don't seem too common on the Tuckers tho? I have read that you have to be careful with a Tucker with a blade.
Tomelroy - I was already thinking fuel injection. None of our UTV/ATVs ever did any good up there till we got fuel injection and swapping jets every trip got real old.
Tom - That would be amazing!!!

You guys are awesome!

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a pic! Not a bad place to be Tom!!

Cabin.jpg

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Northcoast - I was thinking a blade would be a good idea. They don't seem too common on the Tuckers tho? I have read that you have to be careful with a Tucker with a blade.

Rule number one. Just because it has a blade does not make it a bulldozer. :hammer: This is why most issues occur.

Plenty of pics out there with blades on the 1500/1600 series Tuckers, so you should be able to find one to go on the rig you are looking at.

edit: And nice cabin!

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I just talked to a guy out there that was good friends with my father in law. Turns out the two of them went in partners on two different Tuckers at different times about 18 years ago. Said he would even send me some old pics! The friend said they eventually sold them but enjoyed the hell out of them for a few years. Apparently my father in law never drove it that much, not sure why. He only had one arm but that never stopped him from doing anything. He built the cabin himself. We got pics of him with a chainsaw duct taped to his prosthetic, but that's another story.
The friend said the last Tucker they had made it everywhere they ever wanted to go including both of their cabins. He said there was no where up there they ever tried to go and couldn't. So pretty awesome news.....

I halfway hoped he would try to talk me out of getting one but he only stoked the fire. Actually by the end of the phone call he was talking about getting another one!! Hahahaha

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
I need more cab than that! We have four kids, two dogs and I am sure would end up bringing friends and family smoetimes too. I need a four door at least I think.

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok fellas, another question....

In general how many nice, lower hour 70s and 80s 1644s come up for sale each year? There aren't too many out there right now for sale that I have found. Is there a constant flow or when a nice one pops up you better jump on it cause it might be a while before another one does?

Last edited:

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
I can only answer from my personal experience.When I was looking to purchase a snowcat(in my case a Tucker),not only were they in rare supply,but the very few I did find over the course of several months,were either in very poor condition,or the owner considered them to be very valuable because they actually were operational,or both. As with anything,it's only worth what someone will pay. (of course when I was not in the market to purchase,they seemed to be for sale everywhere!!)

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
check this one out at Snotrans.com 1976 Tucker 1443, 6 cyl., 5 sp., 8-man cab, 1940 hours, a classic, clean, straight and desirable model.
Price on request...its really a 1543..five bogie whells..just what you need.

The Sweet Wbj1

GOLD Site Supporter
check this one out at Snotrans.com 1976 Tucker 1443, 6 cyl., 5 sp., 8-man cab, 1940 hours, a classic, clean, straight and desirable model.
Price on request...its really a 1543..five bogie whells..just what you need.

Tom I have actually been looking at the 1644s at Snotrans. I figured if I am getting one I might as well go for the biggest tracks possible. Those are definitely priced at a premium and was partly what was making me wonder about availability. How often do you see machines listed with under 1,000 hours?

Edit: The lake doesn't have a name on any maps but it is about 8 acres and grows monstrous trout!!

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
My wife and I have a cabin site and are in the process of building. We are in the Rockies of Wyoming at 8500 ft elevation. We are 14 miles in from the nearest plowed road. I say this to let you know that I have some experience in the kind of snow and terrain that you will encounter trying to access your cabin in the winter.
1. The snow in the Rockies generally has very little water content ( if you step off your cat, allot of the time you can sink in to your armpits and always to your butt. Many to the antique cats you see on this forum simply will not go in this kind of snow!! You need a cat with the biggest track that you can get down the road!!!
2. I am guessing that if you cabin is at 9500 ft, the road leading up there has many cuts in the hillside. (That just the nature of building roads up the mountain.) The first snow of 3ft or more will fill in the road to the slope of the hill and you won't even be able to tell where the road is. If you try to side hill on anything 25 to 30 degree slope the down hill track on all the old tuckers will take all the weight of the cat and it will go down and from there it gets real ugly. My point is, as said earlier, you need to have a cat with a blade. Take the snow from the uphill track and plow it under the lower one.
566082d1292963226-snow-cat-dodge-318-fuel-injection-help-stuck-ellis-2010.jpg