• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Portable Table saw

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually, I own the Bosch saw in the first link. The fold up legs on wheels makes this one neat saw. I've owned mine for about 5 years and I use it a lot in the summer months. I'm very happy with mine. YMMV...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No real big plans/projects for it. Need to cut some flooring coming up.

Not having one, I use a compound miter when I can and free-hand with a circular saw for the rest.

Bamby

Table saws are wonderful to have and to own but are not the tool for the purpose you're proposing. Table saw's are for ripping lengths of material which could be handy but optional for the material adjacent to two walls. But for the rest of the job any decent quality chop saw is really what you should be using.

Now if the point is you're just looking for some something to explain to the other half to justify buying another tool "Rock On".

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When cutting this Pergo stuff, yes, I'll be using the chop saw for cuts on the short ends. I will have to cut several boards the long way.

Now if the point is you're just looking for some something to explain to the other half to justify buying another tool "Rock On".
It's better then that! Mrs. Zoom is buying it. When she gives me a decent sized home improvement project to do, our agreement is that I get a tool out of it. This floor project gets me a table saw of my choosing.

Bamby

I was just interrupted by UPS just delivering my or our new "tool" to our house. :biggrin:

OK back to topic.. I actually have a lot of Pergo flooring myself and a table saw is always nice tool to have anyway. I also have a smaller somewhat portable table saw which actually was nice but optional for the Pergo flooring.

Anyway from being there have been a number if times I wished I had a larger saw. For normal ripping of lumber mine does a fine job, but for to often needing to rip sheet goods it's a real struggle and falls flat for the purpose. So know you've got the good and bad of portable units.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know it's not the do-all, end-all saw, but it's a definite step up from me free-hand sawing everything.

I think I'll go with the Bosch.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
When I installed the Pergo floor in our living room I used a Porter Cable 12" portable miter saw. The handiest tool to have was a small saw I rented to cut base boards and door frames the thickness of the wood. Not sure the proper name for it but it sure did the job easily. I have several Porter Cable tools from a belt grinder, miter saw, bench grinder and used to have a radial arm, band and gig saws but sold them a few years back when I didn't have time to build my furniture any longer..

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
...and free-hand with a circular saw for the rest.
I did that for over 30+years and actually got pretty good at it. It's easier to do when you lock the guard up and then that can present a whole set of safety issues... if that sort of thing bothers you.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

Pergo floor in family room is done. I took 1 or 2 cuts with the chop saw and said the hell with that as it burned its way through the wood and used the new Bosch for everything. Worked flawlessly

PS. Family room included a hall, 8 doors and a woodstove to cut around. Room is approx. 15x25' + the hallway. With furniture and "misc" never leaving the room, it was a 2-day project putting in the floor.

I really like this saw...

sbjforumman

I would have to go with the Bosch as the best option. When I first read the Bosch 4100-09 Table Saw Review I wasn't really sure if it could be nearly as good as it was made out to be, but I've been fairly impressed so far. I don't have a single complaint to date. Like the other comment, I LOVE the wheel based stand too. Although I wouldn't get it at search like is listed in your link. Just a quick search on amazon shows it's about $40 cheaper there and you might be able to get an even better deal than that if you're willing to look.