• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

transmission swap

I recently bought a converted 1975 chevy bus camper - it's a C60 series with a 24500 GVWR - it's had a fresh LS7 454 put in it, but still has the original 5 speed manual transmission - I'd like to put a more modern automatic transmission in it - perhaps a 5 or 6 speed - I imagine if enough money is thrown around, anything is possible, but I'm on a budget - is this swap possible without a LOT of hassle or back breaking expense?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You need to find a truck salvage yard. Although not common, some of the trucks of this vintage were produced with Allison automatic transmissions. I do not believe it would be all that hard to convert your bus to one of those. Do not use anything from an automobile, as the GVW of your bus would easily exceed the torque ratings of any auto transmission, and result in a very short life span..
Not sure if any of the Allison trans for this application had an over drive or not how ever. Of course you might not need one with OD anyway.

Hope this helps

Regards, Kirk

You need to find a truck salvage yard. Although not common, some of the trucks of this vintage were produced with Allison automatic transmissions. I do not believe it would be all that hard to convert your bus to one of those. Do not use anything from an automobile, as the GVW of your bus would easily exceed the torque ratings of any auto transmission, and result in a very short life span..
Not sure if any of the Allison trans for this application had an over drive or not how ever. Of course you might not need one with OD anyway.

Hope this helps

Regards, Kirk

thanks Kirk - I know I need a transmission capable of handling a vehicle with a 24,000+ GVWR - I do have a 4 speed trans in a 14000 GVWR truck - I'm going to check to see if that would work in the bus or if it can be upgraded to do the job - the trans is 3 speed + over drive - the 14000 GVWR truck was running well until 2 black bears smashed the driver's side window and trashed the interior of the truck - seats, dash, door panels etc- nothing of use left in the interior - the fresh motor it had now powers my pickup, but the transmission is still there - the bus has a split rear end, so that might be a help for the transmission