• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Want a tiny House? How about a self building one?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think zoning laws will keep most of those from ever being built/occupied.

In my county the minimum size of an occupied dwelling is 850 square feet. Small but not tiny. That is about 3 times the size of most of the portable "Tiny Houses" but perhaps not much larger than some of these that unfold and expand?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen no pictures of the "real" thing . So we can assume this is a Concept. This concept in reality may well fall inside the "Mobile Home" category which allows for PUD development. For instance, a mobile home single wide starts at about 320 square feet. So minimum size is not necessarily an issue. Additionally, there is a market segment for this concept on rural acreage where such codes are irrelevant.

Codes are often written and rewritten to meet new technologies. For example...; There currently are no universal and established codes about self driving cars. But the technology is still being invented, employed and deployed.

Sadly auto drive vehicles will happen.

And, assuming price competitiveness, so possibly will this technology.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... For instance, a mobile home single wide starts at about 320 square feet. So minimum size is not necessarily an issue. Additionally, there is a market segment for this concept on rural acreage where such codes are irrelevant.

Codes are often written and rewritten to meet new technologies. ...

I live in a rural "unincorporated" part of the county. County rules apply. 850 sq ft minimum. I know this because when I built the guest apartment above my garage they required it meet the minimum standard for living quarters since that is on an adjacent piece of property. I treat it as part of my home, but it is a separate lot with a common property line. So the guest apartment is 850 sq ft.

In a town or a city they are allowed to have their own minimums (at least that is the way it is in my county) so Gary, an hour away, has a couple mobile home parks, which are allowed there as their law supersedes the county minimum. There are no mobile home parks in the rural part of the county. There are some modular homes in the rural part, but they are pretty big, double wide PLUS and attached garages. I know of one modular that is 3000 sq ft and arrived on multiple trucks, requiring a crane to lift the parts into place.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I live in a rural "unincorporated" part of the county. County rules apply. 850 sq ft minimum. I know this because when I built the guest apartment above my garage they required it meet the minimum standard for living quarters since that is on an adjacent piece of property. I treat it as part of my home, but it is a separate lot with a common property line. So the guest apartment is 850 sq ft.

In a town or a city they are allowed to have their own minimums (at least that is the way it is in my county) so Gary, an hour away, has a couple mobile home parks, which are allowed there as their law supersedes the county minimum. There are no mobile home parks in the rural part of the county. There are some modular homes in the rural part, but they are pretty big, double wide PLUS and attached garages. I know of one modular that is 3000 sq ft and arrived on multiple trucks, requiring a crane to lift the parts into place.

No worries or arguments intended. But it sounds like you have a lot of restrictions "your" county. Sorry to hear it. But you are talking about YOUR county. It is not indicative of the nation.

Here in most of Missouri, 40 acres grants the owner the privilege of owning his property. In St. Charles county, my county, mobile home parks are numerous. Controlled yes, but many have less than 860 Square Foot homes. Many are less than 400. I own 80 acres in the Ozarks, (Douglas county) and have a 256 square foot Abode on it. Perfectly legal.

And the Tiny House crave is nation wide. Folks are putting these small, often under 200 Sq Feet, in every state. I have yet to hear of a "county wide" legal objection.

Until your post.

Back to the thread topic.

This is a really exceptional approach if it truly is possible. I see several draw backs, but size is not one of them.

Plumbing is one.

Electrical would be another

Site prep? Must be both flat and stable. hmmm?

And after time and use, how would repairs be made on such unconventional construction?