• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker in mass

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure but it looks like a nice machine if the add is accurate. I believe this has been for sale since last year?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't seen it in person, so these are observations from the photos. (That's another way of saying take these comments with a large grain of salt.)

I'm not sure when Tucker first started offering rubber belted tracks and carriers, as opposed to the all steel track pontoon style that was their mainstay for decades. I'm guessing this one was originally a steel track machine and was converted. Was the conversion done with new or used parts? How many hours were on the machine when it was converted? From the photos and the description the idler wheels were replaced. But the photos all show the machine after use and you can't see what shape the idler wheels or sprockets are in. It looks like the axles are Dodge corporate axles. (Later on Tucker used Dana 60 axles.)

Over the years Tucker has widened their cabs. In 1973 I'd guess the cab width was 48". They increased that to 52" and while four measly inches doesn't sound like much, it is a noticeable difference (and improvement).

The gas tank is mounted in the cab behind the front seats. Tucker later moved the tank and mounted it on the side of the cab. I'd view the in-cab tank as a negative.

But the machine looks pretty "unmolested" and original, which is a positive. However I'd like to see a bunch more photos, and higher quality ones at that. Tucker's with a full cab are relatively rare and can command a premium price. SnoTrans has a slightly newer, very similar machine and I think the price is over $20K. On the other hand there was a pretty nice 1743 that sold at auction in North Dakota a few weeks ago for under eight grand (not including buyer's fees).

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i'l tell you I like the idea of the slant six motor in my opinion they maybe not the most powerful but certainly have a rep for being one of the most durable engines ever built

JAGEmpire

I'm waiting for snow to take it for a ride and see if I want to purchase it. I have ben looking for a decent machine. Thanks for your advice!

Nhsledda

I'm waiting for snow to take it for a ride and see if I want to purchase it. I have ben looking for a decent machine. Thanks for your advice!

Good for you, hope you like it. I am looking also, but a lot less cheaper. You must be local to the area.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
The 225 six brings up a point. I don't have any specs for the industrial version of that engine in terms of power output, but the 318 industrial was rated at 187 HP @ 4,000 RPM, and that's gross horsepower. In 1972 the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) changed the ratings to net horsepower which produces a lower number.

Looking at allpar.com the 225 was rated at 145 HP (gross, pre 1972) and 105 HP (net, 1972 and later). Using the 187 of the 318 and comparing it to the 145 number of the 225 that's a big hit; mathematically a reduction of 22.5% from the 318.

Tuckers aren't fast to begin with, but giving up that much power seems like a major handicap. Then let's throw in the physics of elevation changes... Horsepower ratings are corrected for sea level where the atmospheric pressure is greater. In a normally aspirated engine you lose approximately 3% of power for every 1,000 foot gain in elevation.

If you live at sea level - not a big deal. I live in Utah at an elevation of 7,200 feet. So performance wise a 318 V-8 at sea level would be like having a 225 I-6 in northern Utah. But starting with a 225 I-6 here is not something I'd want to do.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I live at sea level here and gas is over 5 bucks a gallon the little six would work good for me a diesel like a 4bd Isuzu would be even better.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Don I'm sad to say this, but when I think of all the money I spent on sno-cats the cost of fuel, even at five bucks a gallon, is basically a rounding error.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the other plus about the small motor is if you rent it out it's not as easy to trash the rest of the rig. at the end of the day no body can say any thing bad about the timeless longevity of the 225 slant six.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Think we are getting the screw job on snow. Up here on the Canadian border of nh very Wintery though.

That new member in Delaware or Maryland with the thiokol must be excited!

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Were not getting any of snow from this storm!!:sad: maybe we should have a meet in D.C. !!!:biggrin:

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
what stands out to me is the 11,000 miles and only 1200 hrs...one fast tucker...lol

When you factor in idling time it gets even faster!

11,000 miles/ 1200 hrs = 9.2 mph average

Consider 20% idling time and the number jumps to 11.5 mph average. That's a 'wicked' fast Massachusetts Tucker.

timbuck767

Bringing this one back to the top. I would consider myself a future purchaser, so many years of shopping is how I'm best educating myself. I love the styling of this Tucker, and hoping not to get exiled from this forum, but kind of like the idea of rubber tracks.

JAGEmpire - Did you ever take a look at this machine?

As Blackfoot Tucker brought up, does anyone know if this particular year would have been factory with rubber tracks? Or would have this machine come stock with pontoons?

Like I said, I love this era and styling of Tuckers so I'm doing my best to educate myself.

Thanks.

was that the cat that came with a drag------ and also there is a 76 tucker In Vermont----not a bad price----been on for quite some time----down fall its a stick machine---but does have a cry 318-----that helps

JAGEmpire

Wow, it certainly is.....they must be watching what people are getting for them! I looked at the machine. I almost pulled the trigger!:sad: