• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

It was not my intention to start ww3. for that I apologies

daedong

[FONT=&quot]Regarding my posts in the thread “Ramblings Of An Old Man” I was simply trying to express or convey that this forum will have trouble with international friends if it continues to slam the rest of the world with it’s country bashing and how everyone owes the USA, it is arrogant and I make no apology for believing this. My comments were taken to the extreme, which was not my intention at all; I have known many of you for many years from the other place and am also a charter member here. My participation here has led me to feel it is an extension to my family; I now am starting to have some doubt about that. I have had many disagreements in the past but we have continued to be friends (I hope) we don’t share the same views always but we always rise above that, I have some doubt that I can continue if I am not an equal

[/FONT]

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
No sir you are arrogant! We never said you owed us. We never said we should be worshipped as the great savors. BUT by god when YOU start to degrade or diminish what our country has done for you dont expect us to just sit here and listen to it and not dare possibly offending you by standing up for what is right. Its just that simple. You are an equal here. To say other is just ridiculous.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Vin,

With an open forum and moreso a debate forum, we're bound to get on each other once in awhile.

When all done debating, let's go get a beer and talk fishing for awhile. :beer:

No harm done.

Cheers!

Brian

Dutch-NJ

Hey Vin:

I guess I'm the one who challenged you the most in the “Ramblings Of An Old Man” thread.

I'm a relatively new member and have no idea what the protocol has been since you became a charter member.

If the “Ramblings Of An Old Man” thread is any indication, it appears that some may have misinterpreted silence or politeness as weakness when it comes to America bashing.

This is America. We enjoy freedom of speech. As far as I'm concerned you and others can say anything you want. Just don't expect not to be challenged if I'm a member.

That said ............... Let's get back to talking tractors and other stuff that interests us.

If you lived a little closer, I'd meet you for a beer.

I don't drink beer, but my son-in-law is fond of Foster's Crown Lager. He always brings some home when he returns from a rugby match in New Zealand.

BTW - I drink a Canadian whiskey blend......... Seagram's VO to be exact.

Last edited:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Vin,

One thing about Americans that is different from most other countries is that in general they speak their minds. They don't hesitate to state that they don't like something. Coming from Canada this is one of those things that I notice the most. It is a defining point of the American culture and it is one of those things that seems to appear as "rudeness" to the rest of the world.

To most Americans this kind of "brashness" is not considered rudeness but is almost expected and as far as I can tell it is not really noticed in day to day conversation.

From one citizen of the Commonwealth to another I think you need to just take all the banter with a grain of salt. Many americans say really nasty things to each other but are still good neighbors and sometimes even friends. Of course, sometimes they get into nasty gunfights and kill each other too. ;)

beds

Snowcat Operations said:
No sir you are arrogant! We never said you owed us. We never said we should be worshipped as the great savors. BUT by god when YOU start to degrade or diminish what our country has done for you dont expect us to just sit here and listen to it and not dare possibly offending you by standing up for what is right. Its just that simple. You are an equal here. To say other is just ridiculous.

I think this is a great statement! Few will say, "this has been an enlightening discussion about the differences between our cultures", but many will chime in when discussing the contributions of nations. Americans contribute the most in world peacekeeping and get little if any "thanks" for it. (Thanks, by the way). Other allied nations contribute a fraction of what the U.S. does, but still, per capita, have contributed a great deal in many instances. These other nations want a pat on the head for their contributions as they sit next to the super-power.

But what Snowcat states here is the crux of it. Don't expect this conversation not to be a debate, but we are still equals.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Actualy if you think about it we are just like a big family. Maybe not blood kin but none the less just like a family. I have every race, color and creed in my family. The religion backround that I know of is Christian, Jewish, Budist, muslim, and another Asian religion that I cant think of right now. We are primary Christian but still we are a diverse family. AND politics are all over the place. But at the end of the night after most of the family is together we still have drinks and sit with each other and have dinner together. We try and get together once a year to honor our grand parents. Every year our family grows and some are no longer with us. But we are a family. I really see no diffrence here with all of the diffrent cultures that make up the membership of this forum. Yes we argue and bicker. Some whine some dont but in the end we are still friends. At least I hope we are. This is an amazing tool that lets us talk to other people in other nations and this helps us get to know how we feel and think. Stay on board and ride out the bad times with the good. But remember we will have drink and dinner at the end of the night. We are still friends.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Vin,
My Mother-in-Law is in your country right now, 170km from you down in Adeilade. And seeing's how y'all owe us, if you keep her there, we'll call it even :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

daedong

OhioTC18 said:
Hey Vin,
My Mother-in-Law is in your country right now, 170km from you down in Adeilade. And seeing's how y'all owe us, if you keep her there, we'll call it even :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

I am sure see is a very nice woman, a done deal. as long as you take my MIL

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
I am sure see is a very nice woman, a done deal. as long as you take my MIL
Vin,
You're either a mug or you're pissed to agree to that deal. 24 hours with her and you'd drop her off in the bush and not look back :yum: :yum:

daedong

OhioTC18 said:
Vin,
You're either a mug or you're pissed to agree to that deal. 24 hours with her and you'd drop her off in the bush and not look back :yum: :yum:
Hey you haven’t meet mine MIL

How long is she in Adelaide, the city of churches

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
[FONT=&quot]Regarding my posts in the thread “Ramblings Of An Old Man” I was simply trying to express
[/FONT]

I'm with Brian, I rarely take these too seriously. But honestly the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread title was that it was going to be a joke G.W.Bush was apologizing for Iraq. . . there are some of us here, who are very stauch conservatives, who seriously question the Iraq war, while we still strongly support our soldiers in Iraq. We simultaneously support the war in Afghanistan and the peacekeeping missions in Korea, the Baltics, etc.

daedong

B_Skurka said:
I'm with Brian, I rarely take these too seriously. But honestly the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread title was that it was going to be a joke G.W.Bush was apologizing for Iraq. . . there are some of us here, who are very stauch conservatives, who seriously question the Iraq war, while we still strongly support our soldiers in Iraq. We simultaneously support the war in Afghanistan and the peacekeeping missions in Korea, the Baltics, etc.

Bob

This topic has been all consuming between my wife and I over the last 48 hrs. These discussions with her have only added to the confusion regarding my understanding of Americans. So I intend to hang around to try and get a better grasp.

[FONT=&quot]However I have suspicion, (No facts) that one or two international members have left FF in the last week or two probably for the reasons I have stated over the last few days, EG country bashing, etc, that saddens me greatly.[/FONT]

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
[FONT=&quot]However I have suspicion, (No facts) that one or two international members have left FF in the last week or two probably for the reasons I have stated over the last few days, EG country bashing, etc, that saddens me greatly.[/FONT]

Its a shame that some people can't disagree, but still learn from each other, and perhaps come to a greater understanding about the differences we have, and also enjoy the friendships based on the similarities.

beds

B_Skurka said:
Its a shame that some people can't disagree, but still learn from each other, and perhaps come to a greater understanding about the differences we have, and also enjoy the friendships based on the similarities.

In a nutshell, that's what FF is all about! :thumb:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
daedong said:
This topic has been all consuming between my wife and I over the last 48 hrs. These discussions with her have only added to the confusion regarding my understanding of Americans. So I intend to hang around to try and get a better grasp.

I'm not sure if envy is quite the right word, but I'm quite impressed you can have deep political discussions with your wife lasting 2 days. Largely on policitics my wife and I agree, so such discussions last minutes. However, on something like buying some "disposable" product from Walmart [doubly irrating to me if imported from a communist country] when a better product is available anywhere else....now that get's ugly, so ugly it can go on all day, but only in 15minute durations.:( Fortunately she has seen cheap tools break, so now actually encourages quality there!:D

daedong said:

Perhaps Bob already said it better, but even with [especially with?] serious topics, there are so many personallities on this forum, such debates can be interesting, informational, and one might even learn about others or themselves, but not worth taking anything personal.

I didn't get caught up on the thread in question [so I may be missing the point], but not taking things personal would be good advice both to anyone hot minded enough to bash anyone over their country or those sensitive enough to leave a forum rather than ignore an outrageous poster or thread.

A rather wide tangent, but somehow makes sense, I was putting in some 18" holes with the PHD last week, when one of my wife's students decided to hover around. I couldn't tell him to keep his distance, because his stepmother throws a fit for anyone telling her kids anything they can't do, I didn't want to deal with that, so I tried to ignor him; PHD hits a rock and goes off center, now, already slightly annoyed at said distraction, I get "hot-headed": "I'll fix that hole", and put some lateral pressure too it....slightly out of annoyance and maybe slightly out of safety, I look over at the visitor when "crack!!!". Thus between a combination of sensitivity and hot-headedness, I broke a $200 shaft.:( You might say I shafted myself?:mad: :eek:

OK, that's making me mad again, let's argue about politics or something!:beer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
Bob

I sure hope your not right about the one or two international members Vin. I'm glad to see you still active. This open forum idea can get touchy at times. My take was that no one said anyone 'owed' the US. I did not see any countries 'bashed' other than the US for arrogance. And I've noticed that you, Mith and beds have all visited today. That's awesome. I know Villi from Iceland was here yesterday and Ice Queen was here two days ago. I hope they all continue to come back. I enjoy having international members on here and hope all continue to come back.

Some of these threads take on a life of there own. while censorship is not the answer I hate to see any discussion / debate go so far as to make a member leave our midst. I know of a few who have left over the past 45 days and FF is the weaker for it. Thank you for keeping a calm head and hangin out with us FF junkies. :tiphat: :thumb:

daedong

Doc said:
I sure hope your not right about the one or two international members Vin. I'm glad to see you still active. This open forum idea can get touchy at times. My take was that no one said anyone 'owed' the US. I did not see any countries 'bashed' other than the US for arrogance. And I've noticed that you, Mith and beds have all visited today. That's awesome. I know Villi from Iceland was here yesterday and Ice Queen was here two days ago. I hope they all continue to come back. I enjoy having international members on here and hope all continue to come back.

Some of these threads take on a life of there own. while censorship is not the answer I hate to see any discussion / debate go so far as to make a member leave our midst. I know of a few who have left over the past 45 days and FF is the weaker for it. Thank you for keeping a calm head and hangin out with us FF junkies. :tiphat: :thumb:

Doc
You have your head buried in the sand,
I wish your country well.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
Hey you haven’t meet mine MIL

How long is she in Adelaide, the city of churches

She'll be there another 3 weeks I think. She's been there for 4 weeks and your country is still there, not sinking in the ocean, so you may be okay :D

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:
Doc

Vin,
I surely hope that I have never said anything to make you or your wife feel uncomfortable. I enjoy the international membership here. It's great to learn how other people live their lives. I like to see our differences and compare to how we are alike.

Dutch-NJ

daedong said:
Doc

You sure have a smooth way with words.

Why did you hide the image you included?

Image2.jpg