• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Project Quadrotrac

Steinbruchsoldat

Stupid thumb is annoying me. Makes me insanely slow and i really hate that... :mad3:

Managed to fabricate some parts for the right axle today:

17755544pt.jpg

17755584sv.jpg

17755595ex.jpg

17755596dw.jpg

Steinbruchsoldat

Thanks. I really would like to progress as fast as usual, but my stupid thumb slows me really down, also my granddad passed away last week... :sad:

But i got the plastic for the sprockets today:

17782452hx.jpg

Steinbruchsoldat

Thanks Dave.

Played a bit with Sketch Up. This is the rear car model:

17905719by.jpg

17905720xi.jpg

17905721hy.jpg

Cage will be 2x2" tubing. What wall should i use? Is 0,157" enough or should i go 0,196". Does it need more triangulation? Like a x in the rear? Front will the tied in the joint.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
There was a larger scale machine with a track setup similar to what you're designing. The machine was basically a skidder on four tracks with the sprocket on the outside of the track. Wish I could find the thread.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If your machine is rigid enough for the stress involved in your steering and loading purposes, I would forgo the X bracing.
I am not a mechanical engineer by any measure. with that said I am very familiar with the FIA regulations of caged race cars. The incident of tipping over can be a violet endeavor, so ask your self if the cage is for incidental contact with trees and brush or are you intentions to protect your self in a uncontrolled slide or fall.

If you have potential to fall and need some triangulation smaller elements make a large difference.

Sorry to hear of your loss. (Grand fathers are just that Grand)

Steinbruchsoldat

There was a larger scale machine with a track setup similar to what you're designing. The machine was basically a skidder on four tracks with the sprocket on the outside of the track. Wish I could find the thread.

I think you're talking about the Katrak. This was a 2ton machine with 2 tons payload. Got a few pictures and a sales brochure if you're interested.

If your machine is rigid enough for the stress involved in your steering and loading purposes, I would forgo the X bracing.
I am not a mechanical engineer by any measure. with that said I am very familiar with the FIA regulations of caged race cars. The incident of tipping over can be a violet endeavor, so ask your self if the cage is for incidental contact with trees and brush or are you intentions to protect your self in a uncontrolled slide or fall.

If you have potential to fall and need some triangulation smaller elements make a large difference.

Sorry to hear of your loss. (Grand fathers are just that Grand)

I want this thing to be bulletproof. I want to drive it offroad and test it's limits, and theres quite a possibility of it tipping over. But i'm working on a dimple die press right now, that will help to built some sheetmetal gussets.

Steinbruchsoldat

Was busy working on my mill. Added a vertical milling head and a new vfd. Need to finish wiring it tomorrow and then i`m back on track on the Quadrotrac:

17914290rm.jpg

17914303qy.jpg

Some time ago our old mini excavator went to the scrapyard:

17914466pf.jpg

Unfortunately i wasn`t allowed to safe the cab. But i started looking for one to buy and found one today. Going to inspect and hopefully bring it home tomorrow:

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

$_20.JPG

This is a lot cleaner and easier than building my own. This way i have a real door, sliding windows and all that stuff. It even has a sunroof...

Steinbruchsoldat

Thanks for the link, looks quite interesting.

Had a look at the cab today. Well, it fit`s right on. Exactly as wide as the frame and only 4" longer. I`d call that a perfect fit. This is why i bought it. Otherwise i wouldn`t, because it`s in worse shape than it looked at the pictures. Going to see how worse it really is when i steam clean it tomorrow:

17921634se.jpg

17921636ib.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I can envision something along the lines of one of these cabs working on your machine.

Attachments

• c9000158-00.jpg
    c9000158-00.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 451

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
of course a Canadian would show us a pic of a bombardier, instead of something like a holder which may be more plentiful over in Europe

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I just had to put up the holder post to poke at northern redneck a bit life's not fun if you are serious all the time.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I know on the other hand you couldn't go wrong with the holder cab. they have their own built in rops, they are roomy quiet, and comfortable, those little bombardier or trackless cabs are crude compared to the holder products

undy

Stein,

Nice score on the cab.

Any chance you can build a mount for the arm underneath the seat area? You have to have something to mount the cab to anyway, and I can't imagine the cab itself is strong enough to support the arm.

Steinbruchsoldat

I know on the other hand you couldn't go wrong with the holder cab. they have their own built in rops, they are roomy quiet, and comfortable, those little bombardier or trackless cabs are crude compared to the holder products

They're all way to wide. My cab has rops too, but i'll built a cage anyway.
Stein,

Nice score on the cab.

Any chance you can build a mount for the arm underneath the seat area? You have to have something to mount the cab to anyway, and I can't imagine the cab itself is strong enough to support the arm.

Thats not going to work. Can't go any wider than the cab because of the bogie tracks. They would interfere when articulating.

Steinbruchsoldat

Started by steamcleaning the cab today:

17926473ht.jpg

17926476ru.jpg

Came out better than i thought it would:

17926483xx.jpg

17926490wh.jpg

Just the sheetmetal where the door hinges were is rusted out, everything else is going to be replaced either way or is in good condition.

Then i put it on the chassis table:

17926495op.jpg

It`s a perfect fit, i`m a happy camper.

There are just a few things that i`m going to change. First is to square up the left side of the cab:

17926498wv.jpg

17926506mf.jpg

There will be a small window on the rear left body part:

17926510sl.jpg

And i need to shorten the door a bit to clear the drive sprocket:

17926512dz.jpg

Probably moving back the cab a bit on the frame to make room for some front hydraulics without sacrifiing aperture angle. Don`t see any possibility to incorporate a boom but if someone got an idea i`d like to hear it.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
SteinB, I can't let the boom idea go..... Mostly because I see myself wanting one some day. (my project is two 2100 thiokols mated in a similar fashion.

Could the arm be a "jib" like the photo
its base would be the pivot point or waist of the machine.
an automobile rack and pinion could rotate it.
Two anchor points one at the base one at the top of the cab (you mention a ROP)
not sure a auto rack can go 360 degrees but the arm could double back on itself for storage.

hell it could even nest on the rear car

Attachments

• DSC01656 (Small).JPG
    DSC01656 (Small).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 398

Steinbruchsoldat

see that northern wedneck. he even has it painted holder orange, not bombi yellow

It actually will be painted a bright orange.

SteinB, I can't let the boom idea go..... Mostly because I see myself wanting one some day. (my project is two 2100 thiokols mated in a similar fashion.

Could the arm be a "jib" like the photo
its base would be the pivot point or waist of the machine.
an automobile rack and pinion could rotate it.
Two anchor points one at the base one at the top of the cab (you mention a ROP)
not sure a auto rack can go 360 degrees but the arm could double back on itself for storage.

hell it could even nest on the rear car

Can`t let this idea go, too. But i don`t want to built a real crane, more likely something like a bobcat or front end loader.
Would really like to do a bobcat type boom, this doesn`t really make the vehicle bigger but adds a lot of versatility.

Steinbruchsoldat

Finished the mill:

17944797gq.jpg

Now it`s time for the Quadrotrac again. Started by cutting the mounts for the right axle:

17974892vg.jpg

Had to redo the main beam because i used a 5mm instead of 4mm wall tubing an the slide out wouldn`t go in:

17974898cs.jpg

Track tensioner:

17974906dd.jpg

Turned down the wheel bearings, because the center was to big:

17974912ch.jpg

17974922ek.jpg

Fit`s great:

17974926ki.jpg

Right axle:

17974932wi.jpg

Bolted on the bogie bushings:

17974947du.jpg

And tacked on the axle:

17974955di.jpg

Tried to get the whole thing on a picture:

17974967yw.jpg

17974973rr.jpg

Then i started with the clutch. Will convert it to a hydraulic system. But there`s not enough room on the transmission, so i have to use the oem cable:

17974983ni.jpg

Did some math for the leverage:

17974987az.jpg

Started witht the mount:

17974994sk.jpg

And the lever:

17975007xj.jpg

Had to mill down the rear side of the slave cylinder because there was still the rough casting:

17974998qs.jpg

Steinbruchsoldat

Can`t let the boom idea go. There`s some room on the right of the cab where i could mount a strong mounting beam:

17977051op.jpg

Boom would be like this:

17977055vx.jpg

This is the first sketch:

17977044ph.jpg

17977045br.jpg

Would like to hear some thoughts...

Steinbruchsoldat

Wasted a lot of time trying to get the clutch working before i quit and decided to just use a longer cable.

Then i started building the cage:

17982649ke.jpg

17982653zf.jpg

17982655ra.jpg

17982661qi.jpg

17982671aw.jpg

17982680fy.jpg

17982695sm.jpg

17982696co.jpg

17982698ij.jpg

17982710bj.jpg

17982719hc.jpg