• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IRS Seizes Tax Refunds of Children/Grandchildren over parents Decades Old Debts!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The sins of the father (and grandfather) are cast upon the child.

In 2011 Congress passed and Obama signed a law repealing existing statute that prevented the IRS from seizing the property of the living to pay for the debts of the dead!

This is unfreakin believable. If you grandfather owed some taxes, or even errantly got a benefits check, the IRS can now come after YOU for repayment!

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/04/1...ren-grandchildren-over-parents-decades-old-de

IRS Seizing Tax Refunds of Children, Grandchildren Over Parents' Decades-Old Debts

Some 400,000 Americans may see their tax refund checks grabbed by the government after Congress quietly lifted the 10-year statute of limitations in 2011 on money owed to Uncle Sam.

Now, debts going back decades are considered fair game for the IRS, and the government is coming after the children and grandchildren of the original debtors for the repayment.

In some cases, debts of parents from the early 1960s and 70s are being collected from children.

In many cases, the IRS doesn't even possess the original records of the debts.

On "The Kelly File," former Justice Department attorney J. Christian Adams called it a "classic abuse" by Washington, D.C. of regular Americans who don't know how to defend themselves.

Adams pointed out that no one actually even knows who is responsible for the 10-year statute's repeal. Congress claims it's the fault of the Obama administration, and the White House claims it's the work of Congress.

Megyn Kelly cited a case reported by the Washington Post of a woman named Mary Grice whose father died when she was 4 years old in 1977, leaving her mother with five children. Thirty-seven years later, the Social Security administration is claiming that it overpaid someone in her family, but it isn't sure whom, and is going after Ms. Grice for the alleged debt. Grice is suing.

When Megyn Kelly asked Adams what the chances are of the government dropping the debt against Grice, Adams answered, "Zero."

"This is an administration that loves to suspend laws when they're inconvenient and not enforce certain laws," Adams said. "Let's see if they do it here."​

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If BO keeps this sh!t up the dems are gonna be in minority for quite some time. Is he just trying his damnedest to have an excuse to declare martial law?
Mike

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll bet if you check a bit deeper the grandfather illegally gifted money or deverted taxable funds to his kids in a attempt to not pay his taxes .
I just don't trust anyone anymore . Media is just as bad as government .

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I'll bet if you check a bit deeper the grandfather illegally gifted money or deverted taxable funds to his kids in a attempt to not pay his taxes .
I just don't trust anyone anymore . Media is just as bad as government .

Bingo.

As for the Social Security Admin trying to recoup overpaid benefits, that strikes me as bogus. But they're a whole different animal than the IRS.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Collecting back taxes from the '60's and '70's??? The penalties and interest is going to KILL them.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Collecting back taxes from the '60's and '70's??? The penalties and interest is going to KILL them.
I don't think it would be possible to even catch up . The feds control how much a private company can charge in fees and then turns around and charges any damn amount they want to for their crap .

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think it would be possible to even catch up . The feds control how much a private company can charge in fees and then turns around and charges any damn amount they want to for their crap .

I know Al.

Many years ago my in-laws got into a pissing contest with Exxon and the IRS. They eventually won the case against Exxon but the IRS was a different story. The case dragged on for so long the penalty and interest that the IRS levied was 4 times the amount they originally claimed was owed.