• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cool Cat on CraigsList What is it??

NorCal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 659

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is the predecessor to the Thiokol brand, its a Utah Scientific.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 550

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
am I wrong or does 12 k seem kind of high for it, on the Allen may want it as it has wood grousers it would make a nice match for his krustys.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The price seems very high to me.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The price is very high for a first gen. prototype cat. It isn't in that good of shape either. Parts would be rare as well. Hope is sits till the owner gets a good dose of reality..... $4K would be plenty for this unit...

Regards, Kirk

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's claim to be a proto-type would be false. Utah Scientific's first machine had a configuration much like a Tucker Snow Cat with 4 tracks, but instead of turning both sets, it only turned the front set. Many people mistake this model for being University of Utah, Logan EXP#1(Actually the number 1 was written out ONE on the brass nameplate which I removed shortly before the machine was scrapped out. I gave it to Bill and Mary Guthrie, who had it framed.
It is most likely that Tucker Snow Cat, which had already been producing Snow Cats for 30 years, sued for patent infringment. Thus the 2nd model was 2 track instead of 4 track. They made quite a few of these.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Correct answer. That's it. Now I wish I had prevented it from being scrapped. What's worse is that I could have gotten it for free! I lived in the junkyard in a trailer house for one year within 500 feet of the machine. Looked it over many times but decided it was just too big a project. The junk yard was 2 miles square, and I saw 55 below temperatures there. I've sort of kicked myself over that for some years. The tracks were missing, so I never knew what the grousers looked like, but the tires, and most of the drive components, and the Cab were intact. I never was able to determie how they adjusted track tension. Each 2 wheel assembly was driven by a gearcase very similar to whats on a Grader, only smaller.

I have long track carriers bare shell no pins etc... 5/8 steel steering plates (2) rear and (1) frnt, dual hydrulic sterring pengalum 1600 series (rare) located in Clarkston was and on the border of Idaho.
misc crate of belting some new some used
Here is what I "think" is Utah Scientific's Number one model.