• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1976 Thiokol Spryte for Auction

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if they would have sprung for some cheap paint they could have doubled their money. looks to have had an automatic added the interior looks clean and well cared for other than a little wear on the seats. the only worry I would have, is those guides look hammered I would have to wonder how long till they start falling apart like mine did.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Love the machine...

Gonna talk to a buddy whos looking as well, going to see may be bid on it and see the going price.

Thanks for posting,

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
all the good deals always out west.

where is the 6 to 8 passenger twin track I want for 1000$?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
it was the other way around when I was looking for my 2100 all the deals were on eh east coast.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you would have got more response if it was on the Washington state surplus auction.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

I guess you trying to get more attention to it??? :)

We spoke on the phone few days ago about this machine (I'm Nik), and my buddies & I are considering to bid on it, pending what the other guys bid on it.

Keeping in mind the shipping costs to bring it into Portland area, and minor maintenance vs private sale prices of already posted 1202s, I would hate to spend TOO much on this one as well.

We are watching the auction thou

KeithW

I have been following for a while and these seems like a decent deal for a beginner and for a unit to use to get to a remote cabin. Can anyone give me an idea what would be a fair value and if the guides would need to be replaced what would be a cost estimate. I am a newbie to this

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have been following for a while and these seems like a decent deal for a beginner and for a unit to use to get to a remote cabin. Can anyone give me an idea what would be a fair value and if the guides would need to be replaced what would be a cost estimate. I am a newbie to this
I got a pretty good deal on a new set of guides and bolts for my 2100 at about $3500.00
fob anchorage I know you won't need to get them that far but it should give you a good Idea those guides are the older style the newer 3700 style guides appear more durable I saved a few of mine to repair for spares I will photograph a few so you all will know where to look for troubles. as for price I spent 3 grand on the Thiokol 6grand on shipping and another 3 for guides and bolts and the machine came with new inner belts hope that tells you what a machine in good condition would be worth.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

FYI, That spryte is a smoking deal. You get a desirable larger cab.

That machine is a easy tow.

Desirable OC 12 rear.

A college owned it last so it was maintained.

I doubt it did any serious work with the college.

I see very good guides and guide tires in the photos. Don may see something different.

Snow cats of this type are very simple machines any mechanical aptitude at all and you can maintain the entire machine.

I doubt it will stay at 4K much longer.

$.02

The tracks look to be in good shape in the photos. The guides do not show any abnormal wear or corrosion IMO. Redsqwrl sums it up pretty good. I see a cat that needs to be inspected from one end to the other and I would expect to repair and replace a few parts along the way. Greased, painted a few more $$$$ and have a nice solid cat.

I've seen these auctions get pretty active right at the end and wouldn't be surprised if it goes for more than the $4000 listed now.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
did you see pats assesment attached in the listing.

There is nothing there to be afraid of.

Very thourough.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
And now the Devils advocate. Easy tow with an overwidth permit, gooseneck trailer and a diesel truck. This thing weights alot more than 5K. It's a wide track and probably has a bunch of solid filled tires. On one piece wheels. The track rubber shows signs of cracking in the picture and the picture was likely taken of the nicest section. looks like it was modified into a five man cab from two man cab. The transmission cooler was moved to the back of the cab, possibly because the engine was overheating since there is also a helper fan in front of the radiator. The gear reduction guards are missing from the differential. Wonder why. The mechanicals were maybe well maintained but you sure wouldn't know it by the way they let the machines appearance go. At least it was opperated by college students in a very gential and careful manner. All that said it still is probably worth more than twice that 4k bid.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
KeithW,

Why not call Pat at Spryte Improvement and get his opinion on value and the cost to get it into more useable/reliable condition.

The rest of us are looking at pictures. He has seen it up close and worked on it (and he's pretty much a true expert on these machines). Some of the items listed in his report could be more than just a few bucks to fix.

Alaska Snow Cat is absolutely right. Sometimes snowcats at auctions sell for way too much money. You don't want to get in a bidding war and overpay.

Good Luck!