• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dean tells Muslims: Run for political office

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Democratic party chairman told a packed house of 40,000 American Muslims that they must run for political office to be heard. While the Muslims make up only a small % of the American electorate, I do think that this is a risky political move for the Democrats.

I also think it was wrong for the Republicans to boycott the convention. I think the GOP could have used this as an opportunity to posture themselves in a more positive way. This was published in the Chicago Sun Times yesterday.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/religion/539406,CST-NWS-Islam02s1.article#

Dean tells Muslims: Run for political office

ROSEMONT | 'Stand up and say who you are and be proud of it,' he tells packed house

September 2, 2007
BY SUSAN HOGAN/ALBACH Religion Reporter/shogan@suntimes.com
Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean told American Muslims gathered in Rosemont to think beyond voter registration drives.
"You need to run for political office," Dean said Saturday. "The only way you can achieve your goals is to stand up and say who you are and be proud of it."

Those in the packed house rose to their feet and applauded.

Dean was one of several prominent Democrats on Saturday to address the nation's largest gathering of American Muslims. Republicans declined invitations, organizers said.

The annual Labor Day weekend gathering of the Islamic Society of North America is expected to draw up to 40,000 Muslims before it ends Monday.

It's a family event full of spiritual and educational seminars. Saturday, many Muslims found inspiration from politicians.

"Be heard. Don't be silent. Tell it like it is," said Rep. Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress.

"If you don't tell your story, someone else will. And you may be the villain in their story," the Minnesota Democrat said.

Ellison, too, received a standing ovation.

While Muslims are changing America's religious landscape, they're being encouraged to find their political voice, too.

"There are people who want to see Muslims not only at the table but on the ticket," said Malik Mujahid, president of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago, which sponsored the "Take Back America Rally" involving Dean.

Nabeel Razzaki, a financial analyst from Portland, said many American Muslims became fearful of political participation after 9/11.

"I've thought about it for a long time, but I was scared," Razzaki said after hearing Dean. "Now, I feel inspired to run for a local office."

Muslims here say they share a common faith, but their religious and political views are hardly monolithic. Some want to concentrate only on local politics. By building slowly at the grass-roots level, the day will come when Muslims can influence the bigger races, they say.

But Omer Abid of west suburban Lyons said now, more than ever, Muslims need a voice in national politics.

"We can't sit back. We must speak up," Abid said. "The current president led America to war in Iraq, which was a huge disaster for the world. We can't stay silent."​

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
We have had the Moral Majority push for what they believe in, and now we will have the Muslim population trying to bring forth their beliefs. What ever happened to separation of church and state? The last thing that this country needs is to have one religious group trying to push their agenda over another religious groups agenda. I can see it now, where there will become religious violence as a result of religious politicians. They need to learn to be good Americans, and embrace the American way first. When I hear them denounce the religious zealots that are killing Americans in the name of Allah, then I will consider them a viable candidate. Until that time, lets not encourage them to enter politics. We already have our hands full of other religious zealots trying to take over this country....

BoneheadNW

You know Junk, sometimes it scares me when I agree with you. Correction: It always scares me when I agree with you.
Bonehead

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
All I have to say is that this group must be a real gang of submarginal idiots.

1. They didn't already know this?
2. They applauded Howard Dean for stating the obvious.

Isn't there some saying about crowds lowering the collective intelligence to the lowest average IQ? Hmmmm:rolleyes:

Cityboy

Banned
What does this say about the Democrat party?

It looks like they will sell Americas soul in their misguided quest for political power.

Indeed, no surprise there.