• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trailer Inspections

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If your trailer is one that needs inspected, please do so.

In PA they're REALLY cracking down on it and will give you all kinds of fines and tickets if you're not legal. This fatal accident has been the boost for the inspections. (A wood chipper came disconnected and killed a father and 2 of his kids).

Some information passed on from a local inspector when a friend took his trailer in to get inspected:
1. The guy said they are going to the horse shows and fairs and going down the line to catch people. Spot checks on the road, etc. etc.

2. He said if you have a dual axle trailer with brakes, you now need to have a certificate from your doctor certifying that you are in good health, otherwise another big fine.

3. If you make “ANY” money ie: prize money from a horse show etc. then the state says that you are making a profit from the trailer/truck and then you need to upgrade your license plates which doubles the cost.

4. No inspection is a VERY expensive fine and may require jail time.

I need more info/confirmation on this, but I've heard that if you have an accident where an un-inspected trailer is in tow, your auto insurance may not cover anything.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
2. He said if you have a dual axle trailer with brakes, you now need to have a certificate from your doctor certifying that you are in good health, otherwise another big fine.

WTF?!? :confused: I don't understand this one at all.

The amateur prize money one also doesn't make much sense. What do you "upgrade" your plate to? A semi trailer plate?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WTF?!? :confused: I don't understand this one at all.

The amateur prize money one also doesn't make much sense. What do you "upgrade" your plate to? A semi trailer plate?
Dave,

We live in PA and can't figure any of this out. Remember, we're dealing with the government so it doesn't have to make sense or be understandable. Like most laws, I believe they make it where it's damn near impossible to comply.

urednecku

Site Supporter
That's our 'elected RETARDS' for ya! Let's see what other kind of stupid law we can pass to get more of the working people's money for us to spend!

cj7

Some interesting info Bc...

I have some other thoughts that I can share in a couple of days when I have more time. Was just scanning to see what was going on before my flight. I'll get back with you B.