• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB - Looking to Buy a Thiokol 1404 Imp

akmountaineer

After too many years of digging out snowmobiles, I'm ready to by a cat. I'm looking for a nice restored or at least mechanically sound 1404 wide track preferably with the crew box. A Thiokol Sprite trailer would be nice also. If anyone has any leads, that would be great. I'm looking forward to joining your ranks. Thanks in advance for the help.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
don't rule out snow tracks there are plenty in this state they work well in the deep snow and are light and easy to transport.

akmountaineer

don't rule out snow tracks there are plenty in this state they work well in the deep snow and are light and easy to transport.

Hi Don, Thanks for the advice. I heard the Snow Master was a pretty good powder machine but they seem rare. I've seen a lot more Snow Tracks around. Would you say the standard Snow Track is good enough for most powder conditions? I'm in CA and operate at 6 - 9K feet with a few feet of powder at times. Thanks!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you'r in california at those altitudes the little vw motor is going to need some work to get good preformance. the snow master will out climb the snow trac. the snow track preforms well in soft snow. many a time i have gone out to pull a stuck mountain sled out and watched the passenger step out and go in up to his shoulders while the snow trac is only sinking a few inches. i used a br100 to pull mine back through a low pass in the hills behind nome after it dropped a valve i had a lot of trouble pulling it back on a side slope. every time i pulled back on a steering brake the lower track would just spinn and dig in deeper.the wide track models are much better with the deep powder grousere the sprite may be a better choice as there is alot of room for more power if you need it

akmountaineer

Thanks, Don. I saw a nice looking ST4 for sale in Oregon for about 10K. Would that be about par on price? http://boise.craigslist.org/spo/3463396773.html

I have seen several nice Sprytes for sale even in my area, but they seem difficult to trailer around at 10 feet wide.

There seems to be an older Spryte - a 201 model that is smaller. I can't find much info on that one's performance compared to the 1200 series Sprytes though.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i was thiking that one was modified a bit too much for the price those grousers are tough looking maybe a good set up for summer use on rocks but they are going to suck down the power in the deep snow .the 201's are just a 601 flipped around backwards with a smaller cab the powder preformance may suffer a little with the higher ground pressure i have a buddy with 2 601 and he claimes that they will go places backwards they wont go forwards especialy climbing hills so it may be worth looking at.what is your planned use cabin access or just to get out in the back country.see mine are tos but they get enough comercial use to justify owning them

Short bus

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
what kind of tire is that? motorcycle??
3G83K53I65If5E45K5cc7821cce17edce1677.jpg