• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

frozen tracks

crafttree

Early last spring I acquired a 4t10 with 601 mods. After a few months of repairs, I am looking forward to the 1st snow fall. Under what conditions does one have to worry about the tracks freezing to the surface it is parked on. In between trips to my cabin, I will be leaving the cat parked at a snow park, it could be a week or two in between trips.
This is my 1st snowcat so its kinda learn as I go. Do I even have to worry with this type of machine? I have heard one can do some damage trying to move a machine that is frozen to the surface.:unsure:

Dick

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
ive had no problems with mine on the snow however when in the national guard we had those problems with the bv 206's usualy after it rained in the fall than the mud froze down to the tracks the problem was solved by parking on pallets the other thing you have to worry about is the same as a ski plane snow melts to slush and than freezs again again palles are good pm last problem is over flow aviod it don't try to cross it cold water on sub 0 tracks will be a disaster

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
If the temperature goes up and down past freezing you might have a problem.
I park mine on old tires or old tires with boards running lengthwise.

Even an ordinary truck can freeze to the ground. BTDT-had to replace the transfer case.

northeastheavy

Pixie is right. We get alot of freezing and thawing and that lets them sink each time and can really get stuck. I park my dozer on 2x12 oak boards so it won't sink all winter. I used to park the snowmaster on 6 pallets, worked great as it was light enough.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If my backhoe is outside I try to park it on some stones as it will freeze the tires in mud real quick. Had truck and snowplow do the same. The plow shoes push down and freeze in the ground. I once had to take the skidsteer and pry the plow loose to be able to move the truck.

snow dog

I park my snow cat in my heated shop. Each time I want to use it the windows are all moisture free, No snow to dust off.

crafttree

Thanks for the replys, looks like I need to get some tires or pallets.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not!"

Thomas Jefferson

:US_flag:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I use tires because they survive being pounded on to get them free of the ice much better than pallets. Then you can move them over so the machine isn't so low in the snow.

crafttree

Good point, tires it is then. They are easy enough to come by.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not!"

Thomas Jefferson

:US_flag:

northeastheavy

The pallets work best to store it off the ground all summer also. They do break if you are going on and off all winter. Better for storage. Better the tires!!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
You can also cut some logs, lay them inline with the tracks and drive up on them. No nails and cheap to get.

But with my Imp, in the winter I never had issues parking in snow, it was always cold. But in the summer, I ran it up on boards to keep the grousers out of the dirt and from rusting.