• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2 Thiokols for sale on EBAY

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For sale on Ebay is a 1970's Thiokol Imp. The current bid is $1000 but that has not met the 'reserve' price.

Here is the link: Imp on Ebay

It looks a lot like the Imp that Pixie owns.

Attachments

• 1ebay2d_1.JPG
    1ebay2d_1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 455
  • 1ebay67_1.JPG
    1ebay67_1.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 442

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This unit looks a lot like a luxury snow bus to me. Here is the Ebay Link.

The price is at $6100 but the reserve is not met at that price, and from the looks of it, it should be sold for much more. There are a bunch of photos posted on Ebay, I've only included 3 to give you an idea.

Attachments

• 1a ebay c1_1.JPG
    1a ebay c1_1.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 445
  • 1a ebayf8_1.JPG
    1a ebayf8_1.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 434
  • ia ebaye1_1.JPG
    ia ebaye1_1.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 442

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Hummmmmmm, thats close to home. Might have a look!
Now all you need to do is figure out a 'cover story' to sell the concept to MrsB-D. I can hear it now: But Honey, I know this guy and he has one, and its really useful . . . :whistle:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Now all you need to do is figure out a 'cover story' to sell the concept to MrsB-D. I can hear it now: But Honey, I know this guy and he has one, and its really useful . . . :whistle:

Man you got that right, especially at tax time and the son's up coming wedding.............I can hear it now......:pat:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well there are now 12 bids on the Thiokol bus, the price is only $6900 and has still not reached the reserve minimum.

The IMP is at $1525 with 4 bids and has also not reached the reserve minimum.

Anyone have a clue what either of these might be worth?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
The IMP is at $1525 with 4 bids and has also not reached the reserve minimum.

Anyone have a clue what either of these might be worth?
I'm now high bidder on the one unit.

Before I bid too much more, please give me an idea of what it's worth. The $1800 I have on it now still hasn't met the reserve.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian maybe Pixie or Mntopper can help you. I sure can't. I know the prices of Kristi KT-3s that I have seen ranged from about $1500 to $4000. Snow Tracs seem to run from $2500 to $10,000 (and I've seen them much-much higher but not much lower). HONESTLY this is just a guess, but I'd think about $2250 to $2750 for the Imp?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Someone outbid me.

Currently at $2000 and reserve has now been met.

Can someone talk me into (or out of) bidding on this thing?

What am I going to do with it if I do buy it?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Someone outbid me.

Let me see if I understand you correctly, you are asking a guy who lives in a land with only modest amount of snow, who wears hawaiian shirts in the winter, and who imported a Snow Trac from England for no good reason at all . . . to talk you out of buying a snowcat.

Yeah, sure, I'll do that:yum:

Heck I'm seriously thinking of bidding against you. Afterall, I just had a new trailer built that is wide enough to carry a snowcat on the highway. I could pick it up and save on shipping!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
bc- I would guess the value of the green Imp to be $3000-$6000 if it is in good condition with around 2000 hours but it's a guess.

I paid more than twice that with 1100 hours, a front blade and 8 valves of hydraulics and an A-frame on the back. My tires and tracks aren't very good and it turns out one of the axles were broken. I think I paid too much but didn't have to travel at all to get it.
Tires and tracks can be a big expense.
I'm sure you realize that buying something without seeing it can be a big gamble.

Mine got to $6800 on ebay.

If I knew the tracks and tires were good, I would pay $2500 for it just for the parts.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like the IMPs average selling price may be higher than a Snow Tracs. But with all those hydraulics, there are some added benefits to the Imp. Snow Tracs have no hydraulics at all. Snow Masters had hydraulics, but I think those were an option?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Not all Imps have hydraulics either. It's an aftermarket deal. Since this one has no blade and I can't figure out what the heck is on the back of it, I would ask the seller before ASS-U-Meing anything !!!!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The Thiokol Imp value is between $4,500.00 and $7,000.00 by my best guess estimate if conditon is decent. It appears to be fairly good conditon by the pics on ebay. I am surprised the reserve was set so low on this unit. It maybe someones bargain buy if the bids do not go much higher. Too bad it is so far from my location or I would consider buying it for resale.

The older Thiokol 601 being more than 2 passenger is in demand. This unit even being older will bid up between $7,500.00 and $10,000.00 by my best guess estimate. I am actually bidding the unit and will go somehere in the middle of what I am talking about as a final bid. This snow cat has definitely had some major work completed. The drawbacks are standard 4 speed tranny and the older OC4 rear differential. The plus items are all the major recent repairs and the multi passenger capacity.

As with all older units finding parts replacements may be a problem on these cats. Just have to have the patience and will power.

Good luck to all bidders.:thumb:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Someone outbid me.

I think you should go for it.:thumb: What do we all do with our snow cats? We talk about them and dream about deep snow. I am sure you can handle that.

Then maybe I won't be at such a disadvantage on this forum. We could have another member with a Great American made product.:applause:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The 603 reserve is set at 20K. Talked to the guy whos selling for the owner and he said it was at 20K. No thanks. Its nice but its only worth 12K at the most.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
20k should get you about three of them this old. 12k would be a good price for the seller to get in my opinion on this older cat with all the updates. Wonder what the owners replacement will be if he sells this one or will he replace it? :confused:
I have noticed prices escalating quite a bit the past several years as the older affordable snow cats disappear into the unknown. Four or more passenger snow cats are the preferred type of snow cat in my area. Many people want remote cabin or home access transportation. Supply and demand does make the market interesting.
Just need to find people who really want to sell and make an honest deal if you are looking at buying a snow cat. Buying sight unseen or through ebay can be very stressful and hard on the wallet. If you do buy through ebay then you must be able to buy at a price that you can justify if things are not as advertised or implied on the purchases.:toilet:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I was told he was using it for a cabin access vehicle. He wants a bigger unit and thats the reason for selling it. He also stated that he has about 10K in parts and has spent that on all the new stuff he has put in. If you want the number to talk to this guy I can get it for you. Its on my message in Ebay.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The track work alone was probably close to 5k with all of the new hardware along with belting and not allowing much for labor. He might be in the situation of over invested and will not be able to recoup all of his investment. Been there, done that and don't want to ever do it again. I am not even interested at that high of reserve price. I would almost be willing to bet it does not bid over $10,000.00. What are your thoughts on high bid price Snow Cat Operations?

Maybe for the heck of it we should all pick a high bid price and the winner gets free beer and advice from the losers.:beer: Oh! we allready get the free advice from some losers.:poster_oo

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations,
After a quickly reviewing the current bids and seeing that AW Burton is still trying to buy a passenger cat on ebay, I think it may go up to $9,200.00 at the end of auction. Must be his 5th different passenger cat I have seen him bidding on. He usually makes a substantial run at the end of the auction.:rolleyes:
Did you see the bidding on the red 10 passenger Thiokol Spryte located in Montana that must of been listed at least 10 times on ebay? I think the owner finally got his reserve of 20k. He started with a reserve of 30k. He spent a bunch of money with all the listings and relistings on ebay.

Be prepared if you win the bet, I will have some advice for you!!!!!:beer:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think this Imp has the narrow tracks which would probably work O.K. back east but not really a powder capable machine. At least it has the Ford V-6 which is better than the air cooled Wisconsin. 601's are tough military machines but keep in mind Thiokol was building Sprytes as their snowcat line at the same time. Although the seller is claiming a weight of 4,000 pounds I believe 601's are almost twice that heavy.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I thought about it.

I think I'm going to pass. We normally don't get enough snow around here for me to have a dedicated snow machine.

I was also considering getting it for my Dad. He lives in the snow belt south of Buffalo (NY) and would have better conditions for using it. But, he had a stroke a couple years back and if it needs any serious repairs or maintenance, I think it may be too much for him.

DuBois is only 115 miles from me. If one of you end up buying it, I can get it and store at my place until it's convenient for you to travel to W. PA to pick it up.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Realize that you don't have to drive them on snow!

Attachments

• thiokol1400.1.jpg
    thiokol1400.1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 251
  • dmc1450.1.gif
    dmc1450.1.gif
    46.1 KB · Views: 259

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just took a look at the auctions.

The IMP is at $2100 and the Reserve Price has been met. So the owner obviously valued it lower than people here value it.

It may be a 'regional' value? I suspect my Snow Trac is worth a lot less being in Indiana, than if it was located 500 miles north or 1000 miles northwest. The same might be true with this Imp. It is located in a modest snow area, not a heavy snow area so unless it ships a long distance, the pool of people willing to buy it is probably fairly low. Just a thought.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mtncrawler said:
I think this Imp has the narrow tracks which would probably work O.K. back east but not really a powder capable machine. At least it has the Ford V-6 which is better than the air cooled Wisconsin. 601's are tough military machines but keep in mind Thiokol was building Sprytes as their snowcat line at the same time. Although the seller is claiming a weight of 4,000 pounds I believe 601's are almost twice that heavy.

The Imp should have the Ford Industrial V4 which is getting a little hard to find parts for. It still is a buy at the curent bid price even with the narrow tracks. It would bring an easy $5,000.00+ here in the west if it runs and is fairly decent.
As for the weight of the 601 it must be closer to 6,000+ lbs with the bigger newer engine and all the accesories added to the unit. The narrow raised center tracks are great in rocky mininum snow conditions, but may disappoint in deep powder snow conditons.
For deep snow, the Thiokol Sprytes and 1200 LMC's are great machines with great snow balance and almost bullet proof design with so many years of similiar production runs to iron out any problems. I actually prefer my older 1200 LMC to the newer more modern style 1500 LMC that I also own.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
MNTNTOPPER,
I am currently looking at a 1201 with a blade. It has the oc4 rear but not the additional transmission. It needs a new drive sprocket or Kog as some people call them. Its about 8'4" wide. Do you have any info on the performance on this type of machine? I believe its a 1964.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
DuBois is only 115 miles from me. If one of you end up buying it, I can get it and store at my place until it's convenient for you to travel to W. PA to pick it up.
I may have to adjust/reconsider my offer. At over 8' wide, it won't fit on my trailer. I would have to find a different trailer to haul it.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I may have to adjust/reconsider my offer. At over 8' wide, it won't fit on my trailer. I would have to find a different trailer to haul it.

Trailers come and go like girlfriends, but a snow cat is forever. The trailer is the easy part. You just haven't convinced yourself you need a snow cat.:beer: I am trying to convice myself I don't need a snow cat.