• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

F!@#$%^ A$$H#$% Neighbor!!...Again

Cityboy

Banned
I've got this ongoing conflict with an adjoining neighbor who has a problem respecting the property rights of those around him. The problem started a couple of years ago with him hunting on my property without my permission, knocking down trees with a bulldozer on my property and has escalated from there. The neighbors background from what I have learned through others, pulling his property deeds at the courthouse and through him running his mouth is that he has basically been set up in a landscaping business by his father, and the father also set him up with the property adjoining mine and basically financed his house as well. The guy has no concept of property rights and since he has been given everything also has no grip of the fact that others might just object to activities that infringe on their right to enjoy their own property in peace. Seems like a typical adult spoiled brat. Anyway, he has 6 acres adjoining my 37 acres on two sides, and while he has a nice chain-link fence in his back yard, insists on letting his dogs run loose onto my property among other annoying behaviors.

Well, the most recent incident happened today while my 14 YO daughter rode her bicycle to the mailbox. This guys German Shepard came onto my property after her, all hackled up and snarling and basically scared her pretty bad. I resisted the urge to confront the neighbor as he is a beligerent moron and the outcome could likely end in violence; so I called the sheriff for probably the 15th time in 2 years. Each time the guy has lied and said his dog was never on my property, so it has been his word against mine. Well, this time, the guys wife admitted she saw the incident after the guy lied to the sheriffs deputies about it at first. The wife stated that she immediately penned up the dog after the incident. Finally I now have some evidence against this guy to add to the list of case numbers I have collected over time. While the deputies did not cite the dog owner, at least now I have something more concrete against this idiot and two law enforcement officers as wittnesses to his character, or lack thereof.

I just needed to vent a little. I've read my share of "neighbors from hell" stories, so I thought I'd add mine to the list for your enjoyment.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the dog was threatening my child, I would shoot it. Then I would leave the dog where it was and call the police, I would stand there with the gun until they arrived to make sure the idiot did not remove the dog from my property.

Cityboy

Banned
The dog manages to get back home every time before I can get a chance to drop it. Deputy told me and the neighbor that I was within my rights to drop the dog on my property. Believe me, lots of thoughts have crossed my mind about this. If the dog had actually bitten my child, I would drive this bastard to bankruptcy.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
My wife almost lost her eye when she was a young girl from a German shepard dog bite to the face. I would keep calling the Sheriff and build up a paper trail. Always ALWAYS be the polite mature and caring father that you are. Tell them the facts that this dog is getting more and more aggressive with your children and that you feel that it is only a matter of time before it possibly will kill one of them.

Make the police or Sheriff deputy understand this. YOU are in fear FOR your childs life and or well being. I do not know what state you live in but you need to discretly look at the laws in this regard. To me I would say hell with any law that says I cant defend my children from an attacking dog. Anyway you need to build a paper trail.

MONDAY you should contact an attorney and ask them about this very scenerio. Employ him for the one hour you will need. Explain to him the circumstances and see if there are any laws that can be used to make him keep this DANGEROUS animal off your property. Also video cameras are great for recording activities on your property when you are gone. These can be wired into your hard drive to record. You can then retrieve from anywhere and actually see what is going on. This is not a difficult thing to have done. As far as him on your property with a dozer! He would be in jail if that happend here! Then he would be fined and then sued. Of course Video evidence is hard to dispute.

GET a few hidden cameras mounted outside. And get good ones too! Remeber though they can work for you or AGAINST you. So always remember they are there! I have shot two dogs in my life both at the same incident. Not getting into it in detail I will say this. The Owner felt like I had just shot two of his children. These were guard dogs used to protect his buisness across form ours. We were actually friends and he enjoyed lots of buisness from us (serviced our transport trucks). On Fridays I opened at 4 am by myself I ALWAYS had my Mossberg 590 (armored transport buisness). His dogs alway greeted me from across the parking lot (trying to get out from the fence to eat me alive) as I would pull up and open my building. One night they didnt greet me. I knew it was odd so I suspected maybe someone had shut them up some how so my senses were really stretched. I heard the dogs nails on the asphalt as they were running to get me. These dogs would have killed me period! (two massive Rottwielders) Two shots dropped them instantly #1 buck shot is very effective at 30 feet or so. I didnt have time to get into my building or back in my car. The Police were a bit perturb until I asked them how they would have handled it. I didnt have time to retreat at all. What would you have done if you were about to be eaton Mr. Officer? As soon as they realized I only had that option left then that was that. Of course not to many people open a buisness with a 12 gauge shotgun. So that had to be explained very thouroghly and IT was NOT a planned execution of his dogs. It was a routine thing that was done EVERY FRIDAY.

Anyway go get an attorney for a bit and seek his advice. Dogs can be VERY dangerous animals and are totally diffrent away from there normal place of habitat. A video might prove to this As$@!ole what his dog is trully like. Good Luck! Dont use a shotgun unless you are very close and your children are well away.

Cityboy

Banned
I have issues with people who want to own "known and proven" viscous dog breeds. There have been children here killed by pittbulls, rotweillers, german shepards, etc. And it is not just my opinion either. Most insurance companies will no longer insure people who insist on owning these dogs. People come up with all kinds of excuses for these breeds, but the bottom line is you are responsible for your animals and when your "dog-that-doesn't-bite" actually bites someone, then you deserve all the legal and civil consequences that befall you.

As to the German sheppard owning idiot that lives next to me, rest assured I will do what I have to do to protect my children.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For whatever it is worth, I've been a big dog owner for about 20 years. I had a 120+ pound Alaskan Malamute named Thunder. He was trained by the guy who trained the dogs for the Gary Police Dept. What a wonderful dog, but heaven help anyone who came on my property, the loving animal turned into 120 pounds of fangs and claws. Gentle with us. It taught me a very good lesson.

I learned very quickly that I am 100% responsible for any actions of that dog. I've not forgotten it and it makes me angry when I see other people who have dogs and don't take responsibility for their dogs actions.

I've not owned another Malamute (when we lost that one to illness, my wife's heart was broken and we switched breeds). But we've owned, and still own, Japanese Akitas. My current female is a little girl, she's about 85#. My former female was 117# and my last male was a big dog!

Our dogs do not roam free, they have a large fenced yard that is their own (60' by 140'), outside of that yard the have always been on leases or long leads. None have been trained the way the Malamute was trained, but all have been housedogs. Even without formal guard training, an Akita is naturally protective of the home. At about 3 years old their instinct kicks in and you don't want to be caught by one of these things creeping through a window!!!

But my dogs never go off the property. If they did, and somone shot one, I would be pissed, but I would also be wrong! Big dogs of any breed can kill a child. You are within your rights to shoot any aggressive dog on your property.

HGM

I'm not going to get too deep into my "big bad dog" breed beliefs..But although certain breeds are more capable of certain things, the breed is not the trouble, the owner(or previous training) is...

As for your situation.. If you live in the country, shooting the dog should not be an issue in the state dog Georgia... I for one, after this incident, would not wait for another(possibly much worse) encounter with this dog.. If it was seen on my property with the tail wagging, I'd kill it, period.. The dog has proven to you that it is dangerous and your child is a target.. Thats not right.. If this dog is dangerous, it should be controlled.. The owner is clearly wrong, and I'll tell you, if he came over bitching about me shooting his dog(on my property in a threatening manner) guess where the next shot would be....

Your first line of defence is to make sure you have "POSTED" signs up... The rule I have been told, is that you must be able to see each sign from another.. Basicly meaning that he cant miss it, and not see one.. Then legaly you have ground to stand on.. I would still check with a lawyer or the police, but from what I understand you have no rights against trespassing unless the land is posted.. The trespasser has no idea that he isnt welcome there(or even left his property)...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Your neighbors sounds like a bad neighbor who owns an inbred American take of a German Shepherd Dog. Bob is right in that your neighbor is ultimately responsible for what his dog does. I have studied dogs at length and what breeds are likely to do what. At nearly every vet school, the students are taught that the most intelligent breed is the standard Poodle, followed by the Shetland Sheep dog and then the German Shepherd Dog. The police departments and military look for the smartest yet strongest dog. That is why the German Shepherd Dog is chosen almost exclusively by them for service. Your neighbor's dog is doing what your neighbor has trained it to do; whether he trained it by accident or on purpose. When looking at breeds most likely to bite and taking in the number of animals representing that breed, the most likely dog to bite is a Chow, followed by a Dalmation, followed by Akita. However, when adjusted by expected non-reported bites, small dogs are more than twice as likely to bite as any of the above mentioned. Just ask a mailman, it's the little shits who are always biting them.

Anyway, I'm blowing my cover here, but both of my imported and trained German Shepherd Dogs would be very much out of character and flat disobeying their lifetime training to bite anyone on my property at any time. That is unless I've given them an attack command, or they feel that you are harming me or my family. Only once have either of my dogs been off of my property. That is the 8 days that Dargo went missing and, thankfully, was recovered.

Having said all of that, I would have no problem with a neighbor shooting my dog on their property if it acted even remotely aggressive towards them or their kids. That is well known. When I first moved here I ended up adopting a stray. It had an odd demeanor. It apparently wondered off once and growled at a young girl playing in her yard. The girl's dad called me. I came over immediately. He let loose at me about a dangerous dog etc. I asked him to please stand back, and then shot the dog on the spot. I have no tolerence for a mean dog. I nearly lost my left leg as a child to a dog attack. Human life is to be placed at a different level than that of an animal.

I did have a neighbor like yours that had a Chow that came on my property (my house is in the middle of a 12 acre plot) and scared my kids. I went out to run it off, and it squared off at me and growled big time. Boom! No more Chow. He is buried out back. The neighbor called me and asked if I'd seen his dog. I told him what happened and that I was sorry, but if the same thing happens again, I'd do the same thing again. He was pissed for a while, but since got over it and has adopted the same attitude as I towards the safety of children and dogs.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
There is nothing like a bad neighbor to ruin your days. I suspect that this guy is an a$$hole to that dog and that is why the dog is so f'ed up.

Shoot the dog, sue the bastard, and invest in some good fencing. Security cameras are nice but they are a lot of work.

Get your 14 year old a gun of her own or a least some bear spray until the dog is under control.

The really evil side of me thinks of ways to mess with these people but then the good side tells me not to. Take the higher ground.

Cityboy

Banned
HGM said:
I'm
Your first line of defence is to make sure you have "POSTED" signs up... The rule I have been told, is that you must be able to see each sign from another.. Basicly meaning that he cant miss it, and not see one.. Then legaly you have ground to stand on.. I would still check with a lawyer or the police, but from what I understand you have no rights against trespassing unless the land is posted.. The trespasser has no idea that he isnt welcome there(or even left his property)...

Here in Ga., trespassing is trespassing, regardless if the land is posted or not. I was told that while posted signs do make it obvious, and are helpful to your case, lack of posting will not absolve anyone of a criminal trespass charge. Ignorance of boundaries is no excuse. In the Georgia hunting regulations, it is clearly stated it makes no difference if the land is posted or not, it "Is unlawful to hunt or traverse the land of another without the owners written consent". It is your responsibility to find out where the property lines are. Posted signs only prevent reasonable, responsible, property-rights respecting people from tresspassing or infringing on your right to enjoy your property in peace.

We do have an animal cruelty law here to prevent indiscriminant shooting of domestic animals and our state legislature has made it a felony offense. They did, however, put in exceptions for eliminating "dangerous" animals that attack people or livestock.

Like has been observed earlier, it is the owners responsibility to control their animals. If my neighbors parents had whipped his ass when he needed it as a child instead of indulging the little punk, he might just have some respect for the rights of others. He is one of those people who does not seem to understand why people get upset when he doesn't keep his activities on his own property.

He is going to get well acquainted with our counties legal and civil system if he does not find a way to cure his parental induced Cranial-rectumitus.

HGM

Cityboy said:
Here in Ga., trespassing is trespassing, regardless if the land is posted or not. I was told that while posted signs do make it obvious, and are helpful to your case, lack of posting will not absolve anyone of a criminal trespass charge. Ignorance of boundaries is no excuse. In the Georgia hunting regulations, it is clearly stated it makes no difference if the land is posted or not, it "Is unlawful to hunt or traverse the land of another without the owners written consent". It is your responsibility to find out where the property lines are. Posted signs only prevent reasonable, responsible, property-rights respecting people from tresspassing or infringing on your right to enjoy your property in peace.

I totally agree that this should be the case and its stated that way.. But in reality, I have found it nearly impossible to keep people off my hunting land..(legaly)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
The girl's dad called me. I came over immediately. He let loose at me about a dangerous dog etc. I asked him to please stand back, and then shot the dog on the spot.

I bet he about sh*t a brick! :eek: Number one that you were carrying, number two that you shot the dog right there.

I had a problem with a neighbor's rottweiller up until a couple weeks ago. The rott had gotten better about not coming over in our yard, but he still did it and would pee on my wife's flowerbed. They moved. Just yesterday the new neighbors dog got loose. He is still missing last I heard. At least they are trying to keep it on their property. The old neighbor didn't. Even if they do not growl or anything neighbor dogs should stay on their own property.

We have invisible fence and it works GREAT.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
I bet he about sh*t a brick! :eek: Number one that you were carrying, number two that you shot the dog right there.

Yeah, he was a bit rattled to say the least. Now he still thinks I'm a bit nuts, but tells everyone that he would trust me with his daughter's life anytime. She's a bit older now (17 maybe?) and last summer she had a boyfriend screaming at her when I was driving by. I stopped, backed up and got out to see what was up. Although I hardly know her, she got behind me and was crying and holding me like I was her father. I never had to say a word to her (never to return) boyfriend. Again, her dad thanked me. He was not home at the time.

Doc said:
We have invisible fence and it works GREAT.

I had one up for my Shelties, but never had to use it for my GSD's. They simply knew the boundaries and never left. But, after Dargo went missing that time, I hooked it up again and both Dargo and Bruno wear an invisible fence collar. I still think it is a good idea to have it on them. For one thing, it shows that I am doing more than relying on training to keep my dogs on my property.

Yup, I really love dogs, but not nearly as much as kids. That goes whether they are my kids, your kids, or kids I've never met. I have a zero tolerance to any violence towards kids. Someday I may get hurt or something stepping in to protect a child, but I guess that will just have to be the way it is. Maybe that's why I'm "dad" to about a dozen other kids that are not even mine all summer. :tiphat:

Cityboy

Banned
For the record, we are dog owners too and I have had mutts mostly all my life, and one time had a pure lab who escaped to find love but found bird shot from the angry female dog-owner instead. Always fenced.

Right now, we have an old blind cocker spaniel and a lab-mutt that the family loves and vice-versa. They bark when strangers come, which is all I want them to do; and have never left our property even when they had the opportunity. If anyone asks me if the dogs bite, I tell them "probably", though they never have, and I doubt they ever will, you simply never know. You will never catch me saying "my dog won't bite".

I understand that I do not have the right to allow my animals to roam onto other peoples property for any reason and make every effort to prevent it from happening. It would certainly make life more pleasant if everyone else did the same.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well I dont recall who said it but he was right. Shoot the damn dog next time its on your property. If asked it was attacking you. Simple and done. Tell them you were in fear for your childrens life. Then the instant that nieghbor starts to yell tell him a law suit will follow if he doesnt shut hin Fracking mouth! BUT Guys like this will plot your demise. They may even target your own animals or evne worse (the real sick Frs) will plan to harm your children or you. If it goes this far (putting his dog down) then you will need some type of security system installed with those cameras I was telling you about. Dont underestimate this new enemy.

Cityboy

Banned
Snowcat Operations said:
Well I dont recall who said it but he was right. Shoot the damn dog next time its on your property. If asked it was attacking you. Simple and done. Tell them you were in fear for your childrens life. Then the instant that nieghbor starts to yell tell him a law suit will follow if he doesnt shut hin Fracking mouth! BUT Guys like this will plot your demise. They may even target your own animals or evne worse (the real sick Frs) will plan to harm your children or you. If it goes this far (putting his dog down) then you will need some type of security system installed with those cameras I was telling you about. Dont underestimate this new enemy.

I doubt he would go that far and risk prison and getting cut off from mommy and daddy's financial support. He is just a little spoiled punk who is used to getting his way. He has pissed off more people around here than just me. He will either pull his head out of his ass or suffer the consequences. I am setting the paper trail for a civil suit, and as dumb as he is, he will eventually find a way to get himself charged criminally in the process. The sad thing is, the guy has three beautiful little girls, the oldest is about 4. I shudder to think of the adults they may grow into with a father like him.