• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker radiator and hyd filter

Southtowns27

I'm working on my new-to-me '70 Tucker 442-A. It's got the 225 slant six in it. Does anyone know what the radiator Tucker used is originally designed to fit? It's got a Mopar tag on it but I can't seem to find any more info on it. Also, what is the part number for the spin-on hydraulic filter. The numbers on mine are illegible. TIA

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bet it’s an old Chrysler 300. I was unable to find one for my 68 442A.

Have one that needs repair.

olympicorange

……..….. does your hyd. tank & filter look like this type.... if so ...the FRAM p/n is ….P1654A...

Attachments

• 1548430530647.jpg
    1548430530647.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 398

Southtowns27

That's the one.. It crosses to a Napa 1552 which I now remember having a stack of when I worked at the ski resort back in the day..
Tucker specs a "Type A" auto tranny fluid for the hydraulics. This is obsolete, what's a good modern equivalent? Dexron? Iso 32 hyd fluid?

Southtowns27

Also, fwiw, I ended up ordering an aluminum radiator for a 55-57 Chevy 6 cylinder car. It's a little bit smaller in dimension than the current radiator, but it looks like it'll be very easy to fab up a couple brackets to hold it. And it was $128 delivered to my door, can't beat that...

olympicorange

That's the one.. It crosses to a Napa 1552 which I now remember having a stack of when I worked at the ski resort back in the day..
Tucker specs a "Type A" auto tranny fluid for the hydraulics. This is obsolete, what's a good modern equivalent? Dexron? Iso 32 hyd fluid?

…… well, depending on what you read ...one says Mercon ...and the rest say Dexron…. so the best thing to do ..is drain and flush complete system..and start with new … I use dexron… because I have other pieces in the fleet that use it …. it would be nice if one oil did it all.... lol.... nice find on the rad... if you have the link to supplier , that would be handy.. to posat...thx ..

olympicorange

Also, fwiw, I ended up ordering an aluminum radiator for a 55-57 Chevy 6 cylinder car. It's a little bit smaller in dimension than the current radiator, but it looks like it'll be very easy to fab up a couple brackets to hold it. And it was $128 delivered to my door, can't beat that...
….. can you post pics of rad , and 442a.....thx

Southtowns27

Got the rad on Ebay. It'll be a few weeks until I get home to work on it, on my ship at present. I'll post pics of the finished result though

Southtowns27

Here's the radiator installed. I welded in two pieces of angle that it's bolted to. The thing nearly fits like it's made for it. I also built custom brackets and moved the alternator to its current location. You can see where the side panel was "custom" clearanced to make the alternator fit in its' factory position. Is the bumpout in the side panel a factory correct thing? If it is, what is it supposed to look like?
Either way, it's packaged a lot nicer now...

Attachments

• IMG_20190709_131716708_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190709_131716708_HDR.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20190709_131700600_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190709_131700600_HDR.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 284

olympicorange

….. nice upgrade... looks more than adequate for the slant six. with a fan shroud it could be efficient enough to cool a big block. I cant recall the bumpout for a slant six. theyre not as common as the v-8's. but you can always do away with it …..

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bet it’s an old Chrysler 300. I was unable to find one for my 68 442A.

Do you think that Chrysler 300 rad was used for your 350ci. engine, or was that radiator used for all of them regardless of engine configuration?

PJL

I was looking at Track Addicts Tucker. His slant six has the alternator mounted left side. Yours was right side same as in a Dodge car application. I wonder if your engine was swapped from industrial to an automotive. Or did Tucker mount them on either side?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure. It was a 283 ci. I still have the radiator and there is a part number on it. Only other cat I found was 4CatTrack's with that motor and if I recall we discussed and he had a different radiator.

The one I put in came form Jegs or summit worked out nicely other that not original.

I have a 69 442 with a slant and possible a radiator still. Will take a look at that one.

There are a number of tuckers with that bumpout on them for some reason. The ones I saw looked factory. The buildsheet or the tag should have the moter serial and IND if industrial.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
That looks very nice. That cobbled together bump out, not so much.

Totally agree! (Well said, PJL!) Sometimes I look at Tucker's work and shake my head. What were they thinking? The bump out qualifies for that category of critical thought, or in this case, lack thereof.

I also agree with olympicorange on the fan shroud. In addition to the safety aspect, without a shroud it will only pull air through the portion of the radiator inscribed by the fan's arc. For example, if your radiator was 24" x 20" it would have an area of 480 square inches. If the fan were say 15" in diameter, it would cover an area equal to 176.71 sq inches. Roughly 63% of the radiators area is getting zero benefit from the fan...

olympicorange

Totally agree! (Well said, PJL!) Sometimes I look at Tucker's work and shake my head. What were they thinking? The bump out qualifies for that category of critical thought, or in this case, lack thereof.

I also agree with olympicorange on the fan shroud. In addition to the safety aspect, without a shroud it will only pull air through the portion of the radiator inscribed by the fan's arc. For example, if your radiator was 24" x 20" it would have an area of 480 square inches. If the fan were say 15" in diameter, it would cover an area equal to 176.71 sq inches. Roughly 63% of the radiators area is getting zero benefit from the fan...

….. thank you,...sir. ……. well said,.... love the math; my favorite subject, i'm blown away... so, my mentors were more hands on guys... visual , audible, & physical... '' hang onto your hat'' ...lol

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pay heed to what oly orange and BFT said about the shroud. The unshrouded fan will do very little to pull air through the core. Think, no ram air. Think, stationary engine set. A 2/3 engagement works well. Go look at a Freightliner truck engine. Do a before and after air flow at given engine RPM's and you will be a believer.

I made this shroud in two pieces so it is easy to remove for water pump replacement etc. without removing the radiator.

Attachments

• 543 shroud 1.jpg
    543 shroud 1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 543 shroud 2.jpg
    543 shroud 2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 247

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's the radiator installed. Is the bumpout in the side panel a factory correct thing? If it is, what is it supposed to look like?

I can't believe everyone missed the toilet paper fixture! Not a bump out. Factory option. I woodent $h*t you about this!

Attachments

• Tp.jpg
    Tp.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Tp1.jpg
    Tp1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Tp2.jpg
    Tp2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice looking work

I have seen the bump out, AS5 wipe holders, on many slant six powered tuckers here in the midwest.

olympicorange

Pay heed to what oly orange and BFT said about the shroud. The unshrouded fan will do very little to pull air through the core. Think, no ram air. Think, stationary engine set. A 2/3 engagement works well. Go look at a Freightliner truck engine. Do a before and after air flow at given engine RPM's and you will be a believer.

I made this shroud in two pieces so it is easy to remove for water pump replacement etc. without removing the radiator.

……. that looks like a nice ''isuzu''... powerplant. did you mate it up to the manual, or drop in an auto....love to see that a little better …. motor mounts, etc..... :ThumbsUp:

Pineoaks

I'm working on my new-to-me '70 Tucker 442-A. It's got the 225 slant six in it. Does anyone know what the radiator Tucker used is originally designed to fit? It's got a Mopar tag on it but I can't seem to find any more info on it. Also, what is the part number for the spin-on hydraulic filter. The numbers on mine are illegible. TIA

I have a 1972 442, Hydraulic Filter I use is a NAPA 1551

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just happened to stumble across a 68 and a 69 442 radiator.

Maybe these numbers will help. I think the radiator for the small block was bigger. These two has industrial flatheads in them.

Attachments

• FF0A604B-28E4-4D7D-A94D-7552EDE24412.jpg
    FF0A604B-28E4-4D7D-A94D-7552EDE24412.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 9BAEE435-A2AE-4B21-8BAD-390C697C7988.jpg
    9BAEE435-A2AE-4B21-8BAD-390C697C7988.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 168
  • DB533F2A-F337-486F-A5C9-F9430C01E26E.jpg
    DB533F2A-F337-486F-A5C9-F9430C01E26E.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 153

Southtowns27

Thanks for the advice about the shroud, but I think it'll be ok as is. It didn't overheat before with the junk radiator and fan that someone flattened out so they could make it fit.. I'm pretty sure the machines with the flatheads never had shrouds either. If it runs warm I can always add one later. It's just a bit of a challenge and I'd have to custom build it since the water pump on the slant 6 isn't exactly in the center. A universal shroud would never work