• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

XM or Sirus

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I added Satelite radio to this forum partially because I'm in the market.

I saw an add for a portable Sirus unit which can record satelite radio and hold 50 hours of mp3's. It was very small and priced around $160. It is a new unit that is to be available in Oct.

So, my big question which is better XM or Sirus (knowing that I could care less about howard stern or any talk show stuff ....i'm just after music).

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have XM, honestly I don't know which is better.

From the financial standpoint, XM has a much much larger customer base and I believe both are still losing money hand over fist so there is some question as to how long either will survive, certainly customer base is a needed requirement to attain income. Both offer channels that are commercial free. Both offer channels that run commercials.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I believe both are still losing money hand over fist so there is some question as to how long either will survive

Or are they waiting for membership to rise and get accustomed to it (therefore making it a "must have") and then start rising prices?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Or are they waiting for membership to rise and get accustomed to it (therefore making it a "must have") and then start rising prices?

XM already rasied prices.

They did it effective April 1(?) of this year.

They did allow you to retain your old price structure if you paid in advance. I think I paid for 3 years at the old rate. They allowed you to buy up to 5 years in advance. Old rate was $9.95, new rate is $12.95, additional receivers are $6.99 per month.

Not sure, but I believe that Sirius had already been at $12.95 per month and is still there.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I'm still using my old crystal set clipped to the cast iron radiator listening to Fibber Maggee & Molly for free. :D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I should've guessed that junkman!

nice avatar by the way. Doesn't appear to be a greyhound though.

Viking

Site Supporter
I have XM...3 receivers. They have the Major League Baseball games and a 24/7/365 baseball talk channel, Sporting News Radio, Fox Sports, ESPN, ESPN News...that's why I got XM.