• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Antique Military Snow Machines (not Snow Trac)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gordon Robertson sent me a copy of MILITARY VEHICLES MAGAZINE, February 2006, Issue 113. The magazine contains an interesting article about some of the original military snow machines pre-dating World War II, including some Allis Chalmers tractor based machines and Jeep and Tank type versions. I thought it was worthy of posting the article.

Anyone interested in MILITARY VEHICLES MAGAZINE can subscribe by calling 800-258-0929 or visit their website for more information at www.militaryvehiclesmagazine.com

Attachments

• 1Military-Snow1.jpg
    1Military-Snow1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 1Military-Snow2.jpg
    1Military-Snow2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 302
  • 1Military-Snow3.jpg
    1Military-Snow3.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 309

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The final two pages.

Take a look at the middle picture on the right side of the last page. It shows a vehicle that looks like a Jeep with front skis and front tires. The way I understand it, the skis drop down for use on the snow and lift up when not needed. Ultimately that test failed because it was hard to steer, but that concept could be used for an all season trailer that would be pulled by a snowmobile or Snow Trac in the winter and a tractor or RTV in the summer. Anyone want to take up the challenge of making a trailer that has wheels & skis? Might make a great photo project thread and be a fun & useful thing in all seasons.

:a1:

Attachments

• 1Military-Snow4.jpg
    1Military-Snow4.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 306
  • 1Military-Snow5.jpg
    1Military-Snow5.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 302