• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking to buy a boom lift ???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I am getting too old to climb ladders and decided I want to buy a used boom lift to reach the high areas of the house and barn . I am trying to stay with something that can be moved on my 20' 2 axle equipment trailer . Its rated at about 14000 pounds MAX CAP .

I think 30' reach is more than enough . Any suggestions or items I should look for ? Is electric or gas/diesel powered better ?

I'll only use it 3 -4 times a years . Renting is not a option as they want a fortune to rent one at the rental yard and its a 150 mile round trip to go get it . I figured it would pay for itself bewteen me and my nieghbors needs

grizzer

First thing I bought when returning home. Was talking to a Union Electrician Supv. on a new plant build (downtown Mpls, full union rates double triple time plus completion bonus) & he was saying his kid was graduating HS & pushing him to college. I asked why knowing full well he was pulling over $100K yr personally this was 15-18 years ago. I went to grad school with the Pres of his outfit.

He wasn't gonna let his kid in the trades - the last step off a ladder wrong fractures ankles & forever after every step is pain.

Anyway I bought a Genie self propelled 2wd articulating boom Z30/20. 6' retracted and about 6' wide right at 5 ton. 2x sidesaddle 4ea 6v golf cart batteries. 2 1/2" bolts & a battery pack can be removed by forklift or skidloader for easy maintenance. Onboard charger takes 110V at 15 A about 8 hr for a full charge. Fits under a 7' residential garage door. A fixed frame can cause wheel spin on oneven ground 4x4 might have an articulating front axle, but be wider for stability. I usually just swing the boom around & extend to put weight on the spinning tire.

Maintenance costs on mine is 4 batteries at $300 total from '02 to current. These things are a very different animal from most equipment in the shed - loaded with extensive hydraulic and electrical logic safety interlocks. Paying a tech to train himself on repairs would make a dozer undercarriage look cheap.

Trailer loading is weird at first as I swing 90 deg 10' out to the side of the trailer while the machine crawls up. Boom must be down otherwise creeper speed only. When off the brakes are locked - no pushing this puppy.

I'd stay away from anything down south because of the chance it was bathed in saltwater.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If your ground is fairly flat the electric ones with a rigid frame are OK. If it slopes a fair amount consider a 4x4 or a self leveling one. They do not get around that well on rough ground and as stated most can't be towed without disengaging all the wheel hubs and then 5mph is max speed. JLG and Genie are both good brands to look at.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What about renting them? I used to rent one at my warehouse. Basically I saved up a bunch of jobs that needed to be done up high and out of reach and would rent a lift for a few days and knock out all the chores.

Here at the house I've never used one by a neighbor up the road rented one for about a week to get his house painted. Seems like it would be more economical to rent one, even if you needed to rent it a couple times a year, than to buy one. I'm just thinking that you spend so much time down in Panama that even if you use it when you are home, it will still just sit idle for a good part of the year.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
What about renting them? I used to rent one at my warehouse. Basically I saved up a bunch of jobs that needed to be done up high and out of reach and would rent a lift for a few days and knock out all the chores.

Here at the house I've never used one by a neighbor up the road rented one for about a week to get his house painted. Seems like it would be more economical to rent one, even if you needed to rent it a couple times a year, than to buy one. I'm just thinking that you spend so much time down in Panama that even if you use it when you are home, it will still just sit idle for a good part of the year.

Yes ,I thought seriously about being gone 6 months a year to Panama .

Renting will cost me about $250- $300 a day around here ,plus I gotta go 150 miles RT to rent one . I have found 3 or 4 that are listed in the $5000 range . Between me and my nieghbors I think it would be a good investment . Someone is always building a new barn or building up here so it should stay busy . Rents seem awfully damn high too me ,in this area .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Renting does seem high in your area, and the distance is too far too. Heck it seems like you could buy one, rent it out, and recoup your investment!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't rent it out. Too much liability if something happens. Loaning a tool for a favor in return is better.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't rent it out. Too much liability if something happens. Loaning a tool for a favor in return is better.

I think i'll leave the key in it and tell everyone that each time I find it after it was stolen a $100 bill was taped to it !!!

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've always wanted a bucket truck. Registration and plates would be a pain but if your land isn't too rough and you can trailer it, maybe that would be good ?

I have a 'tent' that's 16x50 feet with 14 foot sidewalls and 4 foot truss spacing. Replacing the tarps on it reminds me how bad I want a bucket truck about twice a year :bonk:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
my experience has been with the 6 ton 27' diesels - with 4x4 and hydraulic leveling. LOTS of fun to work with, but cost me $1400 for 1 week when we were putting up the walls and ceiling on the house 3 years ago.

If you can get one in good shape for $5k, go for it!
build a work cage that slides onto the forks and has a couple of safety chains to keep it from sliding off accidentally and have fun.