• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IHI 35J Good buy?

treeeman00

I found a IHI 35J mini excavator that im considering buying. The machine has 9200 hours and comes with 30" and 18" bucket, and has like new tracks. The guy says it runs and operates good and has some slop in the main bushing and one final drive is bad. I think I can get the machine for $5000. Does it sound like a bad deal? Would anyone have any problem buying it with 9200 hours? Worse omes to worse I can rebuild the engine. I know its alot of hours.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes it has lots of hours. Unless you have the time and the money I think I would stay away. Machines such as this can end up costing more to recondition than they would bring if sold. Don't get upside down on this high hour machine IMHO....

My bet is that if the owner would fess up there is more to the story. The main pivot bushing and the final drive could add up to some serious change. With the new tracks why is it being sold? If the current owner did this, why did he stop and not fix the other stuff? maybe he found out what it would cost..... And decided it was best to sell it and just move on....

Regards, Kirk

treeeman00

All very good points. To change the bushing in the boom wouldnt you have to have it bored? I think you are right as this will just be a money pit. I know thats high hours and I was scared of them. I think im going to take your advice and stay away. Who is to say the main pumps are going to last or the other final drive will last. I guess I will spend the extra money and look for a low hour machine. I would rather be digging than working on the machine. Thanks 300 for your input and putting it into perspective.