• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corona Virus spreading ... US official says no need to worry

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm of the opinion this is over blown. In the end we will find this will be only marginally worse than the regular flu.

Thousand upon thousands of people are dying of the regular flu every week and no one give a shit. One person contracts COVID19 and it is the lead story in the news.

I am doing the exact same thing I do during peak regular flu season:

1. Stop eating out.
2. Run errands early in the day.
3. Wash hands frequently and try not to touch your face.
4. Be stocked and prepared to stay at home if a infectious wave rolls through the community.
5. Be prepared to kiss your ass goodbye. :th_lmao:

people say its over blown but hospitals are being built people are quarantined
emergency funds for cities . I don't recall that happing with the flu.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
people say its over blown but hospitals are being built people are quarantined
emergency funds for cities . I don't recall that happing with the flu.

It hasn't. We just accept that 20K to 55K are going to die every year and get on with our business.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
It hasn't. We just accept that 20K to 55K are going to die every year and get on with our business.

I don't think its going to be that easy, lets do some math
1- my county has 40,349 people
2- the CDC says 40-70% of people are going to get it, thats 161,396 people
3- the mortality rate is 3.4% but lets say 3.4% get seriously ill not die
4- that 548 people
5- we have 1 hospital in our county and I can guarantee they don't have 548 beds let alone 548 isolation beds and the materials, staff and other recourses to deal with it.
6- now make my county S/F, LA etc with millions of people closely concentrated in one area and they are not going to be able to deal with it either.
7- everyone is entitled to their opinion. Marty

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Marty, you must be using Japanese trigonometry 'cause I can't follow your math. How does 40% of 40,349 =161,396? And 548 is 3.4% of what?
Mike

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Marty, you must be using Japanese trigonometry 'cause I can't follow your math. How does 40% of 40,349 =161,396? And 548 is 3.4% of what?
Mike

got the comma in the wrong place its 16,139 but the 548 is still correct. 3.4 percent of 16,139 is 548.

3.4% is The WHO estimate on mortality rate. so if you take the total population of my county 40,349 WHO estimates 40-70% of everyone in the US is going to get it so 40% of 40,349 is 16,139 and the mortality rate is 3.4% that is 548 people will die and that means double that in the isolation ward because only 1/2 the people die that get the pneumonia. In Wuhan china where it originated that is exactly what we saw. The transmission rate is so high the whole city becomes sick at almost the same time overwhelming the system and then people are turned away.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I see your mistake now. One thing no one has mentioned is the population density in Wuhan. I would think this would be a big factor in the transmission rate in any large city.
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
got the comma in the wrong place its 16,139 but the 548 is still correct. 3.4 percent of 16,139 is 548.

3.4% is The WHO estimate on mortality rate.

Don't forget that on an "average" day there are approximately 60% of the nations hospital beds filled with other patients. That obviously varies by region, by season, etc. During flu season the available beds is often far less. In some areas the average available beds is far lower.

But the Covid-19 has overwhelmed hospitals in parts of China as well as in parts of Italy. China seems, at 3+ months after the initial outbreak, to be seeing a reduced number of cases each day. The rest of the world is still on the uptick. Hospitals may be overwhelmed in other nations. Healthcare may be overwhelmed.

I'm not trying to spread doom and gloom. Just looking at the numbers. Looking at the trends as they are playing out.

And from the experts:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/g...-screenings-on-arrival-in-oakland/ar-BB10UEFP
“We’re past the point of containment,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb, (former) commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration during the first two years of President Donald Trump’s administration, said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“We have to implement broad mitigation strategies. The next two weeks are really going to change the complexion in this country. We’ll get through this, but it’s going to be a hard period. We’re looking at two months, probably, of difficulty,” Gottlieb said.

U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams said that shifting to a mitigation phase means that communities will see more cases and need to start thinking about whether it makes sense to cancel large gatherings, close schools and make it more feasible for employees to work from home.

“And that’s going to be different in Seattle than what it’s going to be in Jackson, Miss.,” he said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “But communities need to have that conversation and prepare for more cases so we can prevent more deaths.”
For the FULL story follow the link!

And the good news is there may have been some lessons learned.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...xfwF7osKOzae1H_82W34u1s55GqOUZaSJF4eYpFmHSHPA

WHO Official Says Coronavirus Containment Remains Possible
Lulu Garcia-Navarro10-Minute Listen

"As long as you have these discrete outbreaks ... there is the opportunity to control them," says Dr. Bruce Aylward, team leader of the joint mission between the World Health Organization and China on COVID-19.

Even as the number of new coronavirus infections continues to spiral upward in countries around the world, a top global health expert says it's not too late to contain the virus.

"As long as you have these discrete outbreaks ... there is the opportunity to control them — to get on top of these and contain them and prevent a lot of disease and ultimately death," says Dr. Bruce Aylward, a senior adviser to the director-general of the World Health Organization. "That's the big message we saw in China — and one of the big surprises."

Aylward led a fact-finding trip in China in February on behalf of the World Health Organization. He says the experience there altered his view of what can be done.

"They actually changed the course of a respiratory-borne outbreak without a vaccine, which was extraordinary," says Aylward. The number of daily new cases in China went from around 2,000 just a few weeks ago to less than 100 in recent days.

But Aylward says other countries may be taking the wrong lesson from China by attributing its success to the government's unprecedented restrictions on daily life in several cities, most famously Wuhan, the city of 11 million people where the outbreak began. There, the government has suspended transportation out of the city and for the most part required people to remain in their homes — with only brief forays permitted to stock up on food and other supplies.

"China has 31 provinces, thousands of cities," notes Aylward. "And it was only a few cities where they took those draconian measures. In the vast majority of them, they ... really went back to fundamentals of public health."

These included ensuring that there was enough testing capacity to quickly identify cases, isolating infected patients, tracing anyone who had contact with them and, when necessary, placing those contacts in quarantine facilities so they wouldn't get infected by the sick person or spread the disease further. Also, in places where clusters of cases were emerging, authorities prohibited mass gatherings.

"That's how they stopped it in the areas with over 1.3 billion people," says Aylward. "We spent two weeks on the ground looking at the data. Every other province [beyond Hubei, where Wuhan is located] had hundreds, if not thousands, of cases, not unlike the situation you see in European countries or in the U.S. These are massive provinces with tens and even a hundred million people in them."

In short, Aylward says, "it wasn't a lockdown everywhere. That's the wrong way to portray China's approach to the disease. And that's leading to some fundamental confusion and failure to do the right things."

FULL STORY CONTINUES with discussion about Italy and more. Follow the link!​

Bannedjoe

Well ain't this just tits.

I got this email tonight:

Gosar Statement on COVID-19
PRESCOTT, AZ - Today, U.S. Congressman Paul A. Gosar, D.D.S. (AZ-04) issued the following statement:

“I have been informed that during the CPAC conference members of my staff and I came into contact with an individual who has since tested positive for, and is hospitalized for, COVID-19. I was with the individual for an extended period of time, and we shook hands several times.

I am not currently experiencing any symptoms, nor is any member of my staff. However, in order to prevent any potential transmission, I will remain at my home in Arizona until the conclusion of the 14 day period following my interaction with this individual. Additionally, out of an abundance of caution, I am closing my office in Washington, D.C. for the week and my team will follow the previously approved Tele-commute plan.

As we learn more about COVID-19, it is imperative to heed the advice and guidance from the CDC and medical professionals. President Trump and Vice President Pence have assembled an incredible team and I have been in contact with the CDC and the House Office of the Attending Physician."

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well ain't this just tits.

I got this email tonight:

Gosar Statement on COVID-19
PRESCOTT, AZ - Today, U.S. Congressman Paul A. Gosar, D.D.S. (AZ-04) issued the following statement:

“I have been informed that during the CPAC conference members of my staff and I came into contact with an individual who has since tested positive for, and is hospitalized for, COVID-19. I was with the individual for an extended period of time, and we shook hands several times.

I am not currently experiencing any symptoms, nor is any member of my staff. However, in order to prevent any potential transmission, I will remain at my home in Arizona until the conclusion of the 14 day period following my interaction with this individual. Additionally, out of an abundance of caution, I am closing my office in Washington, D.C. for the week and my team will follow the previously approved Tele-commute plan.

As we learn more about COVID-19, it is imperative to heed the advice and guidance from the CDC and medical professionals. President Trump and Vice President Pence have assembled an incredible team and I have been in contact with the CDC and the House Office of the Attending Physician."

Self-quarantine.
So is Senator Ted Cruz.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/0...ing-coronavirus-stricken-cpac-attendee-895468

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's great that our Congressmen and Senators can afford to self quarantine for 2 weeks.

But how many families can do that if they require 2 incomes just to pay the bills? How many people will go to work sick and infect their co-workers because they need to make the rent payment and buy some groceries. Most Americans have little to no savings. There will be many who spread this who may not even have symptoms in addition to the above who will go to work with mild symptoms and spread the disease.

The people at risk are probably not most of those workers, they are the older people. Risk factors start to go up over age 50. And go higher over age 60. And are much higher over age 70. Add in some underlying heart problems, lung problems, or diabetes and your risk seems to be much higher for serious complications.

If you are in your teens, 20's, 30's, 40's or even into your 50's and you are healthy then you may get Covid-19 and it will likely be a fairly mild to moderate case. But older neighbors, older family members or parents are likely going to be at risk.

Social distancing and self quarantine is important because honestly that may be the only way to prevent overwhelming the healthcare system UNTIL they can find drugs/treatments to help the high risk people.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The number I saw this morning was 542 infected in the US and 22 dead that right at 4%, also the stock market trading was stopped at open due to a rapid slide of 7% right at open.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The number I saw this morning was 542 infected in the US and 22 dead that right at 4%, also the stock market trading was stopped at open due to a rapid slide of 7% right at open.

FWIW, I think the stock market slide may be mostly related to the oil war inside OPEC with Saudi Arabia and Russia having a major battle, and flooding the market with production.

The global airline demand for oil has plummeted. As has the demand to fuel cruise ships. Those two combined, along with a general slowdown in driving in other regions, combined to make an excess supply of oil. OPEC want to scale back production. Russia resisted the cut back. Saudi's responded by flooding a market that is already flooded. I believe a good bit of the market drop is oil related.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Funny gas prices are still 243/9 in Peoria Illinois. Where is that glut of oil? I guess it doesn't affect gasoline price.....=(

I saw a talk show host making fun of this with her hands up and touching elbows. I just don't think it's funny......

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Funny gas prices are still 243/9 in Peoria Illinois. Where is that glut of oil? I guess it doesn't affect gasoline price.....=(

I saw a talk show host making fun of this with her hands up and touching elbows. I just don't think it's funny......

US now not ruling out shutting dow parts of the country to slow the spread

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the national forest pulled permits for large groups last Thursday here in washington

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Hate to point out, but that IS in Illinois. We see gas prices hovering just about $2/gallon in parts of Indiana. It was $2.39 here about a week ago. I paid $2.15 on Friday.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Send the bill to China.
:whistling:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Kentucky U.S. Sen. Rand Paul says his decision last week to vote against an $8 billion coronavirus emergency package had nothing to do with the price tag. It had to do with where the funds were coming from.

His comments came Monday morning while he was visiting, JOM Pharmaceutical Services, a pharmaceutical service provider in Shepherdsville.

"I support the money," Paul said. "I just think we should take it from somewhere else in the budget where it's not being used wisely. So I had an amendment that would have said the $8 billion should come from foreign welfare that we send to foreign countries in the form of foreign aid. I think really we ought to concentrate on our country."

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, I want to send the bill to china, also.

Seems like the second time that a 'bat' virus has gotten into the human population in China. If those bats or caves were somewhere in this country I would hope we would have the good sense to bomb them and bury the area and not think twice about whether they were rare or cute or tasty. YUK.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Screw the Chinamen. They started all this horse shit. Now everyone invested in the market has lost money. Oil prices have dropped now more than what it costs to process the oil shale.

This is all been a master plan of those slanty eyed bastards to undermine our country and the leftists here are complicit in it.

Why else would those dumb bastards be so offended when someone calls it the "Wuhan" Virus?

Gimmee a friggin' break here.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
$1.84 here in SW Tn for regular

I've not seen it dip below $2 here yet, but I live in the area of Indiana with the highest gas prices. I suspect that if I drive west in the next day or two I may see sub-$2/gallon prices. The EPA designates my county has to use a special Chicago area fuel blend that is more expensive than the fuel blend that is used outside of my area.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Monday is one of the days that I take a trip in to town for our Rotary meeting and do some running around. Right after my visit to Tractor Supply I headed for CVS pharmacy. I picked up the one item that I needed and on the way to check-out I stopped to chat with the manageress who I always talk to when I shop there. To cut a long story short, she told me that they were out of hand sanitizer, even the travel sized bottles. They were also out of rubbing alcohol. She said that they were almost out of toilet paper and paper towels. So, it seems as if panic buying has come to my little town. In a way I can understand it. At the last census, 60% of the population of the city was over 50 years old so maybe they are just being prudent.

It was the same at the grocery store later in the day … no hand sanitizer, no alcohol but there were still plenty of paper goods. Everything else seemed to be in good supply.

Our contribution to panic buying? My wife went to the packing plant and picked up some steaks, filet and strip. We're good!

Bamby

Oh this is rich....

(CNN)I live in Kirkland, Washington, which is the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in our nation. As of Friday, 11 people have died in or near Kirkland and we still don't know the full breadth of the threat or the response needed due to the botched testing rollout and lack of resources.

Whine whine whine whine bitch bitch bitch bitch after working for decades to thwart cooperation with the federal government in matters that directly relate to this sort of thing, such as illegal invaders, people ****ting on the sidewalk, importing huge numbers of Chinese and Indian citizens via H1bs (and where did this originate?), all the "wunderkind" companies that have offshored huge numbers of jobs to said nations (gee, that doesn't have people going back and forth into SeaTac from those places, does it?) and more.

Ms. Woke now suddenly gets a bit of the wages of said actions over the last couple of decades, her own state and local governments sit on the problem at the nursing home until it literally blows out the *******s of residents as they expire and now she screams for "heeeeeeelp!"

Well cry me a ****ing river.

Look chickie, here are the facts. You can't offshore all the production of critical things to turd-world nations employing slave labor, have them cook up, either through negligence in a lab or just ****ty sanitation and playing with bush meat a nasty bug, have it screw them up the ass and then magically have all that production teleport itself somewhere else. If you make the decision to have that "wunderful life" out there by doing such things, and may I remind you that Spamazon, Microsuck and more are all right there and all of them have engaged in this crap, driving your property values and stock portfolios to the moon, there is a price.

Specifically, the price is that when it goes to crap guess who eats it? You, along with everyone else who you ****ed in this nation for the last couple of decades with your "wokeness."

There is no "extreme inaction" by our federal government. It in fact is China that practiced not only extreme inaction but active lies and obfuscation while Chinese nationals and Americans related to them who you imported here traveled back and forth seeding the virus into your community. You, the very area and the very people getting it up the ass the worst, are part of the epicenter of the offshoring and destruction of US production. What percentage of Spamazon's products are made in the USA? Oh, you don't want to talk about that, do you? Nor do you want to talk about why it started there.

Why the **** not?

In this pressure cooker of stress, there is also pressure to go to work. While in Washington State most workers can accrue paid sick days, tens of millions of people, including the majority of low wage workers across the nation cannot. To follow doctor's orders and stay home when sick, or to be quarantined when the coronavirus strikes, or to be there when a child's school is closed due to the outbreak, everyone needs access to paid sick days. And when facing a choice between paying rent and taking an unpaid day off, most people who are struggling to make ends meet have little choice but to work sick.

Well your little utopia created that too! Why it's a woman's place to do whatever! We can ramp the cost of living and...... aw ****, now there's nobody to take care of junior -- or anyone else -- when someone gets sick. I know, I know -- let's call Daddy Government after we did it!

Take your wokeism and shove it straight up your ass.

Kirkland is the start of this for a reason, and the reason is the bull**** that is found on the left coast and has greatly exacerbated the problem. No, it's not the whole story, but to create a problem, get ****ed by it and then whine instead of sucking it up and dealing with it, well, here's my answer chickadee:

atomicbird.gif

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Gas prices here are hovering around the $2.15 mark.
Lower than it was last month at this time?
As for toilet paper, I have noticed at Walmart they have the mega packs of Charmin toward the front of the store, as well as face masks and the 3 pk of Clorox bleach wipes.
No price gouging going on either.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, I think the stock market slide may be mostly related to the oil war inside OPEC with Saudi Arabia and Russia having a major battle, and flooding the market with production.

The global airline demand for oil has plummeted. As has the demand to fuel cruise ships. Those two combined, along with a general slowdown in driving in other regions, combined to make an excess supply of oil. OPEC want to scale back production. Russia resisted the cut back. Saudi's responded by flooding a market that is already flooded. I believe a good bit of the market drop is oil related.

It's pretty much a given historically, that when crude prices fluctuate wildly, the world economy suffers and the Markets drop. I am always amused when the news experts blame it on something innocuous or unrelated, like the flu. As though the sheep are too stupid to know any better.

Much less give a hoot.

Herd mentality doesn't relate to crude oil. Now Toilet paper, that's a whole nuther matter.