• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

what are you drinking tonight?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very smooth, very rich, but it does pack a punch. Don't drive after drinking this one.

"AFTER MIDNIGHT"
2oz Jefferson's Bourbon
1/2oz Ameretto
1/2oz Dark Creme de Cocoa
1/2oz Half & Half

This is supposed to be shaken in a cocktail shaker full of ice, then strained. I made mine and dropped in an ice cube to chill it. Once the ice melted it did taste a bit watered down, at least compared to the first couple of sips. Still excellent, but probably would have been better if I had used a cocktail shaker ... I just hate the mess of using one.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
d8dd978eb69d57cf5b601ffaaa13e664.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sipping on a small amount of Welsh Whisky tonight. I didn't even know they made whisky in Wales, it is similar to Scotch whisky but has a bit less of that single malt flavor.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you like BLACK LICORICE then I have a drink for you :eatdrink:

But only drink 1 of them. At least if you wish to retain your ability to stand, walk and perhaps even talk.

It is a potent cocktail :boxing:

1 oz 110 proof Absenthe
2 oz Bourbon
1 sugar cube (or an equal amount of simple syrup)
3 dashes Angostora Bitters
1 zest of lemon, or a few drops lemon juice​

This is pretty much like drinking liquid black licorice.

I bought a bottle of Absenthe simply because I'd never had it and we had a conversation in our house where it came up in the conversation so the next time I was at the liquor store I picked up a bottle on a whim. Found the above recipe on the box in which the bottle was packaged.

Attachments

• 4N3x4YcLR0OFpZ95JVzyjg.jpg
    4N3x4YcLR0OFpZ95JVzyjg.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Image 7-5-20 at 10.06 AM.jpg
    Image 7-5-20 at 10.06 AM.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 210

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Darn Bob, I'm not sure that I'm man enough to handle that. :eatdrink:

Tonight I had a Boddington Pub Ale while I fed the dogs, after a hot and sweaty afternoon out in the sun messing with sprinklers.

After dinner I had a Scotch. I hate to admit this but it was called Old Smuggler. It costs just over $20 for a 1.75 liter PLASTIC bottle. I know, I know that it's cheap and a blend. My cheapskate SIL gave me a bottle of it for Christmas 2 years ago and knowing her and not knowing this brown stuff in a plastic bottle, I didn't expect much. I was absolutely surprised that it was eminently drinkable. The taste is slightly different but it is smooth, not harsh and no burn. If you are a Scotch drinker and want a cheap hangover, this is the stuff.

I bought a couple of bottles the last time I was at the liquor store and it was their turn in the rotation.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:eatdrink:

Attachments

• IMG_5863.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_5863.HEIC.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 189

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Still drinking cheap Scotch. Fill the glass full of ice, pour in the Scotch, let it sit until enough of the ice has melted , start drinking. When you drink it like that, the quality of the Scotch is irrelevant. It's almost like drinking Scotch with Coke or ginger ale. Once you pour that in to the Scotch it just becomes alcohol.

Trying to redeem myself, last night was a "good" Scotch night. I have two or three of those a week. Pour the single malt in to a glass, add a drop of water or one ice cube, sit back and savor.

To be honest I don't know which one I prefer. The aroma and taste of the single malt is a joy. It also makes the statement that I am a man of refinement and superior breeding and taste. Bullshit! I just like the stuff. The cheap stuff also meets a need. I never drink for effect anymore, (to get drunk), but sometimes I just want a large glass of whisky with no pretentions. It's never going to be a 21-year old Glendronach Parliament but it serves it's purpose.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Still drinking cheap Scotch. Fill the glass full of ice, pour in the Scotch, let it sit until enough of the ice has melted , start drinking. When you drink it like that, the quality of the Scotch is irrelevant. It's almost like drinking Scotch with Coke or ginger ale. Once you pour that in to the Scotch it just becomes alcohol.

Trying to redeem myself, last night was a "good" Scotch night. I have two or three of those a week. Pour the single malt in to a glass, add a drop of water or one ice cube, sit back and savor.

To be honest I don't know which one I prefer. The aroma and taste of the single malt is a joy. It also makes the statement that I am a man of refinement and superior breeding and taste. Bullshit! I just like the stuff. The cheap stuff also meets a need. I never drink for effect anymore, (to get drunk), but sometimes I just want a large glass of whisky with no pretentions. It's never going to be a 21-year old Glendronach Parliament but it serves it's purpose.

To be franc about it Frank, I agree whole heartedly with your logic. I drink McCormick, which is made in St Joseph Missouri and about as cheap as it gets, as an everyday medicinal scotch.

As for ice, I have several special "Scotch" glasses that are thick at the base as well as the walls. I keep them in the freezer with about 1/4" of water. It makes a perfect cube yet doesn't break the glass in them.

Pour as much or little as you like and wait a minute. The ice usually floats to the top. Great in the heat of summer or by the fireplace come fall.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Reading Bob's cocktail posts again got me to thing about 'way back when I could actually handle the stuff, I used to mix cocktails for my wife and myself every evening, a different one each night. I still have the the "Bartender's Bible" in a drawer somewhere. I may have to dig it out. I can't remember what page I got to though so I suppose that I'll have to start at the beginning again.