• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombardier Log Skidder - Model SV72 spec help

pedronavarro

I have a 70s Bombardier Logging Skidder. I need some specs. Would like to know what engine is in it.. tow capacity.. Any general info would be helpful. I have been put in charge in selling this and am at a loss. My company has it listed for sale at $6,000 currently - does this sound reasonable? It does not run however it has been stated that there are no major issues, engine is very capable of running just needs little work. it is located in Salem, OR. contact me at pedronavarro@rtrservices.com. The link hosts some photos.
http://sites.google.com/site/californiaequipment/bombardier-sv-72
Model SV-72; Chassis SV501S-286; Moteur C6185S17HB

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have no answers for you, hopefully, forum member 'boggie' will see this and be able to tell you.

It looks like a 'SV' style cab and wheels and tracks. It's probably a Perkins diesel. Can you tell wether it's diesel or gas ?

One of the wheels looks bent ???

Attachments

• SV501.jpg
    SV501.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 2,409

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a 1972 Bombardier SV-501S started its life as a snow groomer
most like had at one time a V-8 engine someone has added the logging equipment Tracks are most likely worth more than the rest of the machine the do not make those cleats anymore. most all of the rest is available.
Dixie,:shifty: is right, it looks like a wheel problem

pedronavarro

It is a gas engine for certain. Did they throw Ford engines in these? and the rim on that wheel is just on there loose. The tracks were removed for transport as it would've required a wide load permit and be more expensive to move. Also, it seems to have altered tracks to make them wider. There is an additional band.

Also, if those cleats are truly worth anything, this unit came with a whole pile of them. 100+ (estimate) extra cleats besides the ones mounted to the tracks themselves

pedronavarro

Correction, I looked at the photos and there are maybe 50 extra cleats, not 100 - faulty memory on my part, seemed like a lot. Also, I added additional photos to show the cleats.

pedronavarro

whats the purpose of having such a long frame if it was meant just for snow grooming? seems as though it is set up and meant to drag logs, but Im no expert..

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, Ford engines are common. My SV252 has an inline Ford 6 cyl. 300 cu.in.

They drag a grooming device which can be 20 feet long.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Its cousin the Bombardier SV302 came with a 460 Ford, The machine is only rated to have 2000 pounds on the rear it looks like it is there already without a load. The rusted brown cleats ( steel?)most likely were the replacements for the aluminum ones that were not available for some time now.

slinger94

I have rescentley stumbled up a bombardier forwarder that resembles the SV72 drive train other than it articulates in the middle and appears the four tracks are shorter. It has a Duetze diesel in it. My question is where to come up with the drive wheels and idler wheels? It has log bunk and grapple on back. Only thing holding me up is parts for the drive train.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Bombardier made some really big machines that are articulated. We would need pictures to tell you more :flowers:

There is also a purpose built logging machine that uses many Bombardier components called a F4 Dion. Duetz is a common engine in them.

Also Bombardier Muskegs (2 wheel sets in each track) were sold with a matching trailer.

And welcome to this forum ! Where are you located ?

Here is a F4 Dion for sale in Quebec

Attachments

• F4Dion.jpg
    F4Dion.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,182