• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Not positive if this is true or not

LarryRB

Someone has a get even personality.

The phone rang as I was sitting down to my anticipated evening meal, and as

I answered it, I was greeted with, "Is this William Wagonhoss?"

This didn't sound anything like my name, so I asked, "Who is calling?"

The telemarketer said he was with The Rubberband- Powered Freezer Company or
something like that and then I asked him if he knew "William" personally
and why was he calling this number.
I then said off to the side, "Get really good pictures of the body and all
the blood." I turned back to the phone and advised the caller that he had
entered a murder scene and must stay on the line because we had already
traced this call and he would be receiving a summons to appear in the local
courthouse to testify in this murder case.

Then I questioned the caller at great length as to his name, address, phone
number at home, at work, whom he worked for, how he knew the dead guy, and could he prove where he had been about one hour before he made this call.

The telemarketer was getting very concerned and his answers were given in a
shaky voice.
I proceeded to tell him we had located his position at his work place and
the police were entering the building to take him into custody. At that >
point, I heard the phone fall and the scurry- ing of his running away.

My wife asked me as I returned to our table, why I had tears streaming down
my face and so help me, I couldn't tell her for about fifteen minutes. My >
meal was cold, but oh-so-very enjoyable!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Years ago I used to insist telemarketers give me a home phone # where I could call them later in the evening 'after I got off work'. That usually ended the conversation.

Then I started lecturing them to get a better job - "doesn't annoying people all day make you feel cheap when you get home?"

Now I say enthusiastically "Oh yeah, I was thinking about buying, refinancing, visiting, whatever they are selling. Can you hold on for just a minute?" and set the phone aside without hanging up. They usually wait a minute or two before realizing they've been had. I figure that spares some other sucker a call at least for a couple of minutes. And the fewer calls they complete per day the less effective telemarketing becomes for their employer.

I have no mercy for people I don't know who cause me to answer their sales call.

v8dave

Wizard
We have caller ID on our phone, if you have your name and number blocked we don't answer. If you have your name blocked and we see the number isn't a local call--too bad.

Remarkably few calls go through to the answering machine--almost all of them are political ads, personal calls from the Governator no less (pre-recorded of course).

Once in a while we'll get a doctor's office or business caught up in this. But, they leave a message. Why a legitimate business would have their number blocked is beyond me. Guess it shows a lot of businesses don't know how to ask for the correct set up when they deal with the phone company.

BoneheadNW

v8dave said:
We have caller ID on our phone, if you have your name and number blocked we don't answer. If you have your name blocked and we see the number isn't a local call--too bad.

Remarkably few calls go through to the answering machine--almost all of them are political ads, personal calls from the Governator no less (pre-recorded of course).

Once in a while we'll get a doctor's office or business caught up in this. But, they leave a message. Why a legitimate business would have their number blocked is beyond me. Guess it shows a lot of businesses don't know how to ask for the correct set up when they deal with the phone company.

Same thing at our house. If we don't know them we don't answer. If we don't answer and they don't leave a message, it's no BFD.

Bone