• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Farmall Super C head torque numbers

AdkSnowcat

I'm wondering if someone knows the torque numbers for connecting rod nuts and head nuts. I also need the valve lash adjustment. My engine is going back together as soon as my rings arrive (maybe this weekend). Pretty exciting--I can't wait to drive the tractor. It's a new old tractor for me!

Thank you very much!!!

AdkSnowcat

I've looked on the web for an answer--I get two! It is said that the IH Manual says 65 lbs. Then people also say 80 lbs. I've seen mention of a distinction of the "new" head gaskets needing the 80 lbs. Kind of confusing!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Head bolt torque is dependant on the size of the bolts being used.

That said, I would use the IH manual settings. The tightening sequence is actually more important IMHO that the torque numbers, as long as you are close.

A new gasket will crush, and if you do not retorque when hot, maybe the 80ft/lb cold would do it...Once.

Regards, Kirk

AdkSnowcat

Thank you Kirk! That makes sense!!!

It's been fun working with this old engine. The tractor place I ordered the rings from said eight different sets of rings were used over the production run. Luckily all that was really needed were the dimensions. So my rings are on the way!