• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Firefox 4 was released a few days ago..

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is pretty slick.
Still, I won't be one of the ones downloading it for awhile. They call it cutting edge for a reason. :D

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine just updated last night and it wasn't to 4.

-----------------------
http://support.mozilla.com/my/questions/797552

"Warning, updating to Firefox 4 may eliminate many of your add ons and other features!" My question is, "Why was this warning NOT given?"

I have now LOST all of my username and password info, since I was using Skipper for it, and now it is not compatible with your new Firefox 4! We should have been given a WARNING!

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I found out the hard way that..4..wont work with my old OS system....I have 10.4.11...Had one heck of a time getting back to my old system!!!:hammer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I guess I am old school . I just want to turn on my computer and read the news or FF.
I do not understand all the fancy terms nor do I care . I spent 4 hours on the phone getting help to set up a wireless extender . The man tells me to "REBOOT" my PC ????? What the hell is that ? He says it means to turn it off and restart it ! Why in the hell did'nt he say that in the first place . I do not like being made a fool .

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess I am old school . I just want to turn on my computer and read the news or FF.
I do not understand all the fancy terms nor do I care . I spent 4 hours on the phone getting help to set up a wireless extender . The man tells me to "REBOOT" my PC ????? What the hell is that ? He says it means to turn it off and restart it ! Why in the hell did'nt he say that in the first place . I do not like being made a fool .
:yum:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter

Al,

You are way old school. Is this a joke?
Did you REALLY not know what "REBOOT" meant? :ermm:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well , When everybodys computer quits working I am willing to bet money that I will do just fine without one . I can think for myself .It was a time not that long ago that most people never heard of the word "computer" .I would like to see a computer that could fix a 1965 chevy or track an elk on a hot summer day .

loboloco

I am running 4 and like it a lot better than the 3 versions. It seems to run faster, where the 3's would bog down and occasionally spasm.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
BTW.. I have not gone to FireFox 4.

Everything works just fine. As is with 3.6.16 :whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Not ready for me yet. I like to let others work the bugs out first. Same for MS updates. I wait a week or so before jumping in.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
BTW.. I have not gone to FireFox 4.

Everything works just fine. As is with 3.6.16 :whistling:
I'll update when my trusty computer tells me to, I won't go searching for the update.
Everything is working swimmingly for now.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I guess one of these days Im going to have to upgrade to a newer OS on my mac but as long as the old one works I hate to.......Fire fox 4 wont run with my old OS,so im stuck with the last of the 3 foxfireor firefox....what ever!!!

Al I think maby you are more of a "old country school type instead of just old school":yum: Hell.....it aint half bad back here in old land!!!!!! The first pooter we had was a microsoft machine and the first time I was told to "reboot" I told the kid I had one pare of boots and I had them on......and she quit laughing she told me to just turn it off and then back on again....hell in my mind she was telling me to haul off and kick the SOB!!!!!whitch I think would have made more sence and probably actuly fixed the problem any way!!!:yum: sway with the punches AL life is more fun that way:yum:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I finally got the popup telling me to upgrade to Firefox 4.
I HATE IT!
The tab bars are different, the security bar at the bottom drives me nuts.
grrrrrrrrr lol

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I upgraded and have to say the new "look" didn't impress me ... but the performance did!! So, rather than go back I spent about 30 minutes setting it up so that it now looks pretty much like the older version, but still runs much better!!

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I upgraded and have to say the new "look" didn't impress me ... but the performance did!! So, rather than go back I spent about 30 minutes setting it up so that it now looks pretty much like the older version, but still runs much better!!

Is there a way to make 4 look like 3 IE tabs on the bottom rather than top?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Under options do you have the show the tab bar checked? Mine are on top but I just rolled back to 3.1.6 so the popups stayed under instead of on top. It also had changed my display and I did not like the new look. When I exited it showed a highlighted box and greyed the main page. Too old for all this change and not enough time to really play around to change it. I just installed the old version, did not delete anything and it went right back to what I wanted.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Under options do you have the show the tab bar checked? Mine are on top but I just rolled back to 3.1.6 so the popups stayed under instead of on top. It also had changed my display and I did not like the new look. When I exited it showed a highlighted box and greyed the main page. Too old for all this change and not enough time to really play around to change it. I just installed the old version, did not delete anything and it went right back to what I wanted.
:biggrin:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I purchased a Macbook not long ago and I love it. So glad I don't have to worry about all that Windows stuff anymore.

Great is it not? thats why we enjoy our mac so much......thinking about upgradeing to the new os...but hate to spend the money!!!:biggrin:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter

:smile:I'm with you on this one. I did the upgrade a couple days ago and like the speed but didn't like the looks. I found the new looks to be similar to other browsers I've tried such as safari and opera and less like IE. I set mine back up with a few clicks to look similar to the older version. I like it now. It's a much less cluttered version without all the useless buttons I never used anyways.

installed 4 yesterday...that lasted about 15 minutes...

the "forward" and "back" buttons did not work...went to the support forums, where the thread on this had about 20 different solutions, some worked for some and not for others...

my next search was how to DL previous versions, which I did and am now back to 3.6...everything works.

They also came out with 5 beta 1...apparently in response to crappy reviews of 4.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Upgraded this morning. Two check boxes, 15 seconds later and the appearance is the same as the old version, with 2x the speed.

All the buttons work fine, no issues. Still head and shoulders above IE.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm curious, what OS are you guys running? I wonder if Spiffy is running something different than Av8r, GGNW & DS?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine worked fine with 4.0. It just changed displays and the forward and back were no longer colored etc. The overall experience sucked and I don't have time to play around right now. Easier to just go back.:hammer: I am curious what 2 clicks Av8r did to have it look the same. I don't run any addon's or stuff like that so that is not an issue. I runXP sp3.