• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Prince Harry's Fall From Grace

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4817195a27162.html

In less than 12 months, Prince Harry has managed a spectacular fall from grace.

In February last year, Britain was wild about Harry after news leaked about the soldier prince's secret 10-week mission in Afghanistan.

Harry's frontline stint saw him hailed a hero and gave his playboy image a much-needed boost after a series of scandals involving underage drinking, cannabis smoking, drunken nightclub outings and - most infamously – wearing a swastika to a fancy dress party.

Now, just 11 months later, the Queen's grandson is back at controversy central – splashed over the front pages of Britain's newspapers for making racist remarks in a home-made video.

Despite apologising for referring to a fellow soldier as a "Paki" in the video, which he filmed three years ago while an officer cadet, Harry has been roundly condemned.

He's been branded a yob, foolish and ignorant as well as faced calls to leave the army and apologise to the people of Pakistan.

Harry's remarks have renewed debate about racism within Britain's armed forces as well as his own judgment.

Some commentators believe the video, published on the website of the mass-selling News of the World tabloid, demonstrates the party-loving prince's inability to grow up.

However, others argue that little else can be expected from the 24-year-old given his upbringing and the impossibly high standards he is expected to meet as a senior member of the royal family.

His grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, is famous for insulting foreigners and has made a string of racist remarks including one about "slitty-eyed" people in China.

"The trouble with a hereditary monarchy is that you get what you're given: in this case, a third-in-line to the throne of no great intellectual acuity," Guardian newspaper columnist Peter Preston wrote.

"(Harry) should have had more sense. He ought to have known that supposedly private videos can land up on the net or the front of the News of the World. But then, that's the trouble with Harry."

Harry was just 21 when he filmed a group of his fellow trainee soldiers while they waited to board a flight to Cyprus in 2006.

At one point, his camera zooms in on Ahmed Raza Khan, now a captain in Pakistan's army, and says: "Ah, our little Paki friend, Ahmed."

Harry, who is soon to begin training to become a helicopter pilot with the army air corps, also refers to another soldier wearing a camouflage scarf on his head as a "raghead" and jokingly pretends to telephone the Queen.

While "raghead" is regarded an offensive term for Arabs, St James' Palace has insisted Harry's remark was in reference to the common nickname attributed by British troops to the Taliban.

It has been his use of the term "Paki" that has caused the most outrage, given its association with violence against Pakistani immigrants in Britain, many of whom have faced taunts of "Go home Paki".

St James' Palace issued an apology on the prince's behalf, saying that Harry understood how offensive "Paki" could be and was sorry for causing any offence.

The father of Ahmed Raza Khan, Mohammad Yaqoob Khan Abassi, led a chorus of outrage over the prince's remarks, saying that "Paki" was "a hate word and should never be used against any Pakistani".

Britain's Equality and Human Rights Commission has demanded an inquiry, while Muslim groups have described his remarks as sickening.

While Harry's use of the pejorative term appeared light-hearted in the video, he has still embarrassed army chiefs who have been trying to stamp out racism among the ranks and recruit more soldiers from ethnic backgrounds.

They were expected to give the prince a stern dressing down over the scandal, but not take any severe disciplinary action against him.

However, some of Harry's supporters insist his latest gaffe should be forgiven and forgotten because he has matured in the three years since the video was made.

"Like many young men, when they are in a particular environment, such as the army, it is all too easy to get caught up in a culture and a way of behaving that is commonplace but inappropriate," Harry's former press secretary Colleen Harris wrote in Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"We should not be in the business of pillorying Prince Harry. He has apologised, this happened three years ago and he has grown up in the meantime."

Even Prime Minister Gordon Brown said while Harry's use of the term Paki was "unacceptable", he believed his apology was genuine and the public would understand.

But the fact that Harry made the comments just a year after being widely condemned for wearing a swastika armband with a German Afrika Korps uniform to a party, raises questions about whether he can learn from his mistakes.

Harry was first tainted by scandal in early 2002 when as a 17-year-old he was caught drinking while underage and forced to admit he had also tried cannabis.

A year later Clarence House was forced to deny reports that he was sent home early from a working holiday on a polo ranch in Argentina because he was drinking in local bars.

His academic record was also called into question in 2004 after one of his former teachers from the posh private school Eton claimed she helped Harry complete assignments.

That same year, Harry was involved in a scuffle with photographers while leaving a London nightclub around 3am.

But the British public appeared to forgive the larrikin prince's colourful past when it emerged he had put his life at risk by serving on the frontline in Afghanistan early last year.

Details of his tour of duty, including a steady stream of photos showing him on patrol, gave the impression he had found a career he was serious about and his partying ways were in the past.

Clarence House also promoted news of Harry's charity work in Africa, building on the good publicity he received for his service in Afghanistan.

It is that type of image the prince will now have to work hard at promoting if he is to win back the affections of the British public.:neutral::hammer:

Attachments

• 785379.jpg
    785379.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 83

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
The kid is doing fine. People have nothing better to do than catch any old gum he spits out. Shame on them, not shame on him. On that note Im going to see what celebrity has done something embar........ heeeeey...... wait a MINUTE! :unsure:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The kid is doing fine. People have nothing better to do than catch any old gum he spits out. Shame on them, not shame on him. On that note Im going to see what celebrity has done something embar........ heeeeey...... wait a MINUTE! :unsure:
Yeah.. I found it FIRST!:yum: :cool:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what the problem is with the abbreviated word 'Paki' for Pakistani. Is calling an Australian an 'Aussie' racist? A Britisher a 'Brit'? A Yankee a 'Yank'? Now the other stuff, like raghead, whole 'nother story...

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
On that note Im going to see what celebrity has done something embar........ heeeeey...... wait a MINUTE! :unsure:

Some wonder as to the origins of life. Yet others question what is life. For the rest of us here, note this moment. For it was at this moment that Deadly Sushi became 'self-aware'. :poke:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what the problem is with the abbreviated word 'Paki' for Pakistani. Is calling an Australian an 'Aussie' racist? A Britisher a 'Brit'? A Yankee a 'Yank'? Now the other stuff, like raghead, whole 'nother story...
I don't either.
It's not like the N word, which holds a whole different meaning.
In Britain, many people refer to them as Paki's, (or the Chinese as Chinkies)-which probably does cross the line.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, I'd say the Chinese one crosses a bit. But what about Jap? Again, just an abbreviation, granted better known for it's use during war and at that time not meant to be flattering.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, I'd say the Chinese one crosses a bit. But what about Jap? Again, just an abbreviation, granted better known for it's use during war and at that time not meant to be flattering.
Jap, I'd say..... isn't good.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Why? It's just an abbreviation of the country of origin with no additions. Would abbreviating American to Amer be a slur to Americans?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Why? It's just an abbreviation of the country of origin with no additions. Would abbreviating American to Amer be a slur to Americans?
No, I suppose not (Amer), but calling a Japanese citizen a Jap seems disrespectful, must be because of the war history etc..
You pickin' my brain Bobcat? :shifty:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
OTOH, why do you think Chinkie crosses the line?:boxing: hmmmmmmmm??

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
No, I suppose not (Amer), but calling a Japanese citizen a Jap seems disrespectful, must be because of the war history etc..
You pickin' my brain Bobcat? :shifty:

I think the reason for using Jap is based on the English language. It seems easier to say 'He is a Jap' than to say 'He is a Japanese'. Not only is it more syllables, but we feel compelled to add even more to it as you did, 'He is a Japanese citizen'/'He is a Japanese person'.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
OTOH, why do you think Chinkie crosses the line?:boxing: hmmmmmmmm??

You've added syllables that wouldn't normally be there, as well as using an ending or suffix that in the English language may be considered diminutive or adding an air of silliness. Consider...

Chinkie
Twinkie
Pinkie
Winkie
Dinky
etc...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
You've added syllables that wouldn't normally be there, as well as using an ending or suffix that in the English language may be considered diminutive or adding an air of silliness. Consider...

Chinkie
Twinkie
Pinkie
Winkie
Dinky
etc...
Is Chink ok then, in your book?
(btw, Japanese.. Aunt Midori.. you knew that :hammer: )

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Is Chink ok then, in your book?
(btw, Japanese.. Aunt Midori.. you knew that :hammer: )

Nope, added a consonant that doesn't belong there. I don't see the problem with pure abbreviations, additions etc are another thing.

Yup, Aunt Midori...point being? :confused:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't either.
In Britain, many people refer to them as Paki's, (or the Chinese as Chinkies)-which probably does cross the line.

I don't see why. They also refer to the Scots as "Jocks", the English as "Limeys", the Welsh as "Taffs or Taffys", not to mention that I can turn on the TV almost any day of the week and hear blacks refer to whites as "Crackers or Honkies". At one time I also knew what the Pakistanis and Chinese, not to mention black Africans, called whites and, in any of the languages, it wasn't very complimentary.

No, I think that many people spend their lives taking umbrage about anything that they believe tarnishes their self esteem.

Now, if he had called him a f***ing Packi, that might have been derogatory.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I guess it all boils down to who you know, who you love and what words can hurt and what can't.
Most of the so-called racial slurs are just that, words.
When there is a history behind it, then it can become objectionable, no?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Point being I don't appreciate Jap being used for Japanese, out of pure respect for her.

I don't appreciate Rob being used for Robert. I don't know why, it makes no sense, but those who respect my wishes won't/don't call me Rob. :rolf2:

On a different note, I don't believe you've been introduced to my all American niece, Aiya. It has been agreed by her parents and myself, and paperwork has been completed documenting the same, that in the unlikely event of their death, I become her guardian. I let all parties know, including Aiya, that if that should come to pass, I will be training her to become a fighter pilot and astronaut. Then, if the enemy wants to call her some sort of name, they can do so while she strafes them on the ground, or in the air as she sends a heatseeker up their tailpipe. :glare: She's slowly warming up to the idea. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• P1060023.jpg
    P1060023.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 63

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Some wonder as to the origins of life. Yet others question what is life. For the rest of us here, note this moment. For it was at this moment that Deadly Sushi became 'self-aware'. :poke:

That would be a GREAT sci-fi story!!! Heeeey.... wait a minute! That was the Cristmas special of Doctor Who! :rolleyes:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The media hounded his poor mother, now they are having a go at her children, why can't they remember these people are human beings too and deserve to be able have as much respect as the rest of us. I no longer watch the news on tv and I don't read a paper, this sort of thing is the reason, it makes me so mad, this country is crap!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bobcat I can only assume that referring to you as Bob is an insult :ermm:

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The media hounded his poor mother, now they are having a go at her children, why can't they remember these people are human beings too and deserve to be able have as much respect as the rest of us. I no longer watch the news on tv and I don't read a paper, this sort of thing is the reason, it makes me so mad, this country is crap!!

From the little I read, it seems his behavior is no worse or better than the average guy his age. That he can find "normalcy" in his life is commendable. He is certainly no reprobate. I agree with Sush.

The kid is doing fine. People have nothing better to do than catch any old gum he spits out. Shame on them, not shame on him.