• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need video monitoring system for demensia or ALZ person.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My FIL is now suffering from Dementia or Alzheimer's.

Problem is he lives nearly 300 miles away and my wife now drives there every 2 weeks to take care of his needs.

We would like to find a video camera system we can install at his house that is interactive for both video and audio. On our end, we would like to be able to interact from either a computer or cell phone.

Ideally, the resolution would be high enough where he could put a piece of paper in front of the camera and we could read it remotely. (The mail gets him confused on what he's to do).

We don't need to store/record from the cameras. Just want it to be interactive.

We've tried to give him an iPad and Skype but it was too much for him.

Basically, we need a camera that he can sit in front of and talk to us or put something in front of the camera that we can see/read.

Ideas?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks PB!
BTW, your link doesn't work so I just did an internet search for the product.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am searching for home monitoring systems for a different reason. Arlo Q won the Tom's hardware video monitoring for 2017

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-home-security-cameras,review-2741.html

Note, Arlo does not have audio but Arlo Q does have audio where you could have a conversation and see him.

I also considered 'Blink' which also has audio
I have not bought yet ....
Amazon has most of the cameras and reviews. Some were using the camera to monitor an older family member. The FAQ's and reviews are awesome, there are so many of them I do believe they are real.
With cameras in multiple locations you could likely hear him no matter where he is in the house.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc. Mrs Z was looking at the Samsung and Arlo's on Costco. I didn't care for the Samsung reviews and the Arlo had me scratching my head on a few things so I posted here.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the idea Mike!

To summarize our phone call for others in this thread that may have in interest in something similar, there's an auto-answer option in Skype. We start the Skype thingy to connect to him and all he has to do is pick up the ipad/tablet or sit in front of the computer (whatever device we connect to) and it's already active.

We'll be testing this tonight. We're trying to avoid getting an internet plan at his house but worried about connection speed and data usage if we try and use our tablet that has the internet built in.