• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Distant relative shoots himself!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a side of the family I have never been in contact with. Long story, but suffice to say I like it that way and apparently they do as well. Best scenario.

At any rate, apparently one of them purchased a new pistol and almost immediately shoots and kills himself with it while showing other family members his recent purchase. My wife discovered this via FB. Very sad to hear. I just cannot imagine such a thing happening, but I guess it does.

Bamby

Unfortunately there are people who are tea totally ignorant about firearms. It reads as if that group represented a few of them...

The reality of this is only God knows how many potential lives would be saved if a good basic Firearms safety course were mandated into the school curriculum.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
so he has a sore foot? that's a poor way to learn and lucky it wasn't someone else.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
so he has a sore foot? that's a poor way to learn and lucky it wasn't someone else.

No foot, he killed himself. Apparently unintentional, but deadly nonetheless.

From what my wife is reading via FB, the gun is to blame. <sigh>

Bannedjoe

Seriously I can think of only one way to accidentally kill yourself with a gun.

Load it
Cock it
Point it at yourself
Pull trigger

When I was very young, my Dad gave me a basic course in handling guns.
The results were twofold.

1. I played with his firearms safely when I found them.
2. I never shot myself.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear.

That's why I started young with my kids teaching them about firearm safety. I have a plastic toy shotgun that looks like a smaller version of my Winchester model 2200. When I take the kids hunting, I haul out the toy gun and go through the same motions as I do with mine. Teaching them the safe handling, storage etc. Once while out hunting, a game warden stopped us and proceeded to check my gun. My son offered his to be checked as well. The officer played along and went through the motions of checking it out.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear.

That's why I started young with my kids teaching them about firearm safety. I have a plastic toy shotgun that looks like a smaller version of my Winchester model 2200. When I take the kids hunting, I haul out the toy gun and go through the same motions as I do with mine. Teaching them the safe handling, storage etc. Once while out hunting, a game warden stopped us and proceeded to check my gun. My son offered his to be checked as well. The officer played along and went through the motions of checking it out.
Lovely story. Shows your son has respect for the gun and the game warden.
I was not so lucky. My dad came home from WWII and wanted nothing to do with guns. Although he retain a souvenir Lugar pistol, loaded and ready, He never taught his sons anything about guns or gun safety.

I learned by joining the rifle club in Junior High school. A violation of dad's rules. I bought my own 22 single shot target rifle, again against dad's permission. Thankfully I hand an understanding coach who stored my gun. Since I could bring it home I gifted it to an underclassman.

Guns are a real part of life. I'm lucky to have the same lesson as you and have had the same two outcomes. I'm comfortable with guns I come across. Haven't shot anyone or myself.

My new Walther PPQ sits in my safe until I have time to go to the range and fire it safely.

Not many things more dangerous than a wanabe hero brandishing a weapon with which he has no experience.