• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

One of my biggest pet peeves; Gas cans.

Bannedjoe

Who are the fucking do-gooders who designed this shit?

I remember the good 'ol days when you could just pour the stuff out.

Now thanks to some group of jackasses, you can't get the gas out of a five gallon can unless you have three hands and about 40 minutes to spare.

Whose brilliant idea was it to put the breather in the spout?
It goes against all laws of physics.
The spout doesn't bend anymore, so you have to tip the entire can upside down.
5 gallons of gas weighs appx 40 pounds, and there's no handle on the bottom to do it with.

From what I gather, the idea is to keep the dreadful fumes from escaping the can.
From what I have seen, it appears the idea is really to keep the gas from escaping the can.

But alas, once you get the cumbersome gas can upside down, the spout into the hole, and compress the spout to release gas, your hands, pants and feet are now covered in gas, not to mention the gas all over your lawn mower or whatever it was you were trying to fill.

I'm certain the motherfucker who invented it never mowed a lawn in his life.

I finally got so pissed, I called the company whose name was on the can.
The can was made in Canada.

I got to customer service and began to lose my shit on the poor woman.
She told me she agreed with everything I complained about, and that it was indeed the stupidest thing ever.

So I yelled into the phone, why the hell do you make them this way!!!!

She replied, it's the only style of can your country will allow us to ship in.

Now, I know there's work arounds, but it grinds my fucking gears that I should have to pay $25-$30 for a gas can that can't breathe, blows up like a balloon in the sun, won't release the gas, and I have to bring the thing home and modify it so it will do what it's supposed to do.

I have plastic gas cans that are 25 years old.
I can get the gas out of them, and they haven't broken, cracked or deteriorated in the sun.
A new one breaks within the first few weeks, or develops cracks and leaks within a year.

The best solution?
Water jugs of the same size.
They breathe, the spout bends, and they have handles that make sense.

Just don't get caught putting gas in a non-approved container, you might be treated as a criminal.

It's another case of assholes in society making us break laws in order to accomplish everyday tasks.

Oh, but we don't want toddlers drinking the gas from cans!

You show me a toddler that can lift a 40 pound gas can and drink from it, and I'll show you a kid that can drink anything he wants, or I'll show you a kid who'll stop after the first taste and never do it again!

How can people in this country continue to completely fuck up the simplest of things????

If it wasn't for massive amounts of self control, this could be me on any given day.
Fortunately as well, I prefer home to a jail cell.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlzm7-gvTRg"]Falling Down (6/10) Movie CLIP - The Customer is Always Right (1993) HD - YouTube[/ame]
k1thovK.gif

KkBcXGv.gif
mLXZoRi.gif

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed, the new gas cans are nothing but frustrating.

pssst ...don't tell anyone but, if you use a small drill bit (I used 1/8th) and drill a hole at the rear of the handle (about where the vent was on the old gas cans that worked) and the cans will pour a whole lot better. I changed the pour spout to the old unvented pour spout also, that might have helped too.

Bannedjoe

Agreed, the new gas cans are nothing but frustrating.

pssst ...don't tell anyone but, if you use a small drill bit (I used 1/8th) and drill a hole at the rear of the handle (about where the vent was on the old gas cans that worked) and the cans will pour a whole lot better. I changed the pour spout to the old unvented pour spout also, that might have helped too.

Yeah, there's work arounds.
I drill a hole back by the rear, and insert a tire valve stem with the guts removed.
Lets it breathe and come with a cap.

Still.....

And good luck with the pour spout change up.
It seems they come out with a new thread pattern every week.

I found a nice metal "safety" can, but I'll be damned if I'm paying $70 for a metal can.

Bannedjoe

It's ok now.
I've had a shower and got all the gas off.
My clothes are in the wash, and my shoes are airing out outside.

Does anybody here remember when gas smelled good?
I remember a totally different smell as a kid.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have four plastic ones that work good. two are old garage sale finds,one is vented with a valve stem that I removed the core and screw the cap on and a vented Canada one a buddie picked up for me.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got replacement nozzles at Tractor Supply.

Drilled an air hole for venting and use a golf tee to plug the vent when storing the fuel.

WTF we can't buy a decent gas can is beyond me but there are solutions!

Bannedjoe

I got replacement nozzles at Tractor Supply.

Drilled an air hole for venting and use a golf tee to plug the vent when storing the fuel.

WTF we can't buy a decent gas can is beyond me but there are solutions!

Yes there are workarounds.

But I really have to wonder what idiot did what to make us all suffer.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Buy your gas cans at garage sales and flea markets. All of mine are old, metal with a screw cap vintage 50's-60's. Plus I inherited 3 more from my Dad.

I do not buy new plastic, EPA approved liberal loved shit bird cans that take three men and a boy and 15 hands to operate.