• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Converting to a 5 man cab!

Snowy Rivers

Looking very nice.....The weld on clamps are top notch.

Back when I was working in the mill industry we used those all the time to fasten steel high pressure hydraulic pipe to brackets on various machines.....:thumbup:

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a high suspicion that the rear end had been rebuilt as there are many newer components in it, and after consulting a few experts it appears that the carrier bearing went out and ground the axle down before I had gotten it and when they rebuilt everything they decided to just flip the axle as it was still “good”…well that is where it broke, now I’m gonna fix it right, like should have been done in the first place…
BD381A56-8541-41E9-A091-C4B919D24B21.jpeg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a high suspicion that the rear end had been rebuilt as there are many newer components in it, and after consulting a few experts it appears that the carrier bearing went out and ground the axle down before I had gotten it and when they rebuilt everything they decided to just flip the axle as it was still “good”…well that is where it broke, now I’m gonna fix it right, like should have been done in the first place…View attachment 161110
Wow a lot of material was gone! Yes, that should have been replaced back in the day.

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Waiting on a new axle shaft gives my time to get some videos edited! Really wanted functional side boxes but yet wanted the beds so now I should have the best of both worlds…just need to figure out camping heat…Cheap Chinese Air Heater or Hydronic thru the engine? Thoughts???

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks great! I just bought the 8kw version of the Chinese heaters to play around with it. It works great, though upon inspection….you get what you pay for. The fuel pump doesn’t look reliable nor the blower fan. If going this route, I’d make sure to have spare parts (Looks pretty easy to fix in the field….simple swap out).

Bob

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Since the windows came out of the School Bus…so should the wipers??? Tired the Air ones first but quickly realized that wasn’t going to work once we hit the duty cycle on the air compressor…so went the electric route! But if anyone needs a set of Air Wipers for a flat Nose School Bus, let me know I‘ve got a deal for you!

Snowy Rivers

Looking good.....

Repurposing parts is a great way to solve many parts issues for sure.......

The compressed air thing does bring far more problems than one needs when designing your own cat.

AS you pointed out....DUTY CYCLE on the electric compressors is very low.....An engine mounted compressor is the only way to solve the issue of having enough volume.....

An air dryer/moisture ejector is a must have component along with at least a "Wet tank" and a dry tank along with a small "blow down" tank to clear the desiccant canister of moisture every time the compressor shuts off....

Easy to set up....JUST $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a good one.......

Large enough tanks to allow system operation without running the compressor to death take up a lot of precious space.

I had planned for a long time to run air on my cat to operate the steering........Finally abandoned the idea due to the cost and the ability to get a good compressor in the engine bay.....
The electric bus wipers look like the real deal :thumbup:

Always a caveat in these roll your own projects......Imagineering just ends up with a few "Change orders" always.....

Looking great......

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
You nailed it Snowy, Change Orders are a good sign of Adapting and Improving. Many nights I lay awake and rethink my plan and as some experienced Snow Catters on here have told me, I can plan it to death but if I don't get building it, I'll never know how it worked out... So here's to keeping at it and I hope my journey encourages everyone to keep at it and someday We'll See ya on the Snow!

Snowy Rivers

Ah yess.

The art of change order.....

I have been ridiculed a few times on my project for having so many change orders.....
Trying to come up with a plan that allows off the shelf (Readily available) parts to be used can drive ya nuts.

AS you have seen .....Off to the bone yard....then run home and then....back to the bone yard...

As I have seen several times.....The factory parts were fine when they were in use, but so many parts are no longer available and there are not off the shelf replacements.....

Thiokol...A case in point...... used as much off the shelf stuff as they could (I am sure Tucker and others did too) and standard parts like oil/grease seals and bearings are all still around.....But try to find 12" wheels with a 5 x 5.5" bolt patterns ......NOT

I am currently designing the wiring for the large side view power mirrors.

Dodge mirrors....GM cabs and wiring....Cab does not have electric mirrors or windows...Rear cabin does.......

All the switches in the rear doors are obsolete now......but still work......

Adapting newer GM switches is the answer......NOT TOO NEW as all the late stuff uses a body control module to handle the heavy current and the switches use very small wire.....NOT GOING TO USE RELAYS ON THIS STUFF.

Gotta stay a bit older.....The GM square body has tons of aftermarket parts available.....So off we go....

A have been able to scare up factory/dealer electrical schematic books on the rigs I have for my cabs.....HELPS A LOT
When the rain is pouring down and it's miserable outside.....A lot of engineering happens.

As I have told many folks that have been here and watched my cat take shape.....When you can't find what you need.....YOU MAKE IT.....
Having the Lathe and the mill has made much of my journey possible.....

Your rig is looking fantastic......Keep it up.... :thumbup:

Last edited:

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
I really appreciate your thought process and your detail in explanation of such! You have helped me evaluate a couple key details in my project and for that I say a sincere Thank you!; So if you ever get to MN I will grill you up a steak!!!

Snowy Rivers

You are welcome.....I enjoy the projects of others as much as I do my own...
Always happy to help/offer ideas.......CHANGE ORDERS :lmao:

When we engage in a "Roll your own" the path is far different than doing a more or less "Restoration"

Not to take away from the many restorations that take place.....But replacing parts that are equal to the original is far less complicated... USUALLY

The folks here that have swapped later model diesel engines and transmissions that require a computer and other parts into their cats can certainly appreciate this stuff...

We do wear my different hats when we charge into this stuff.....Just makes it more fun.....A highly technical scavenger hunt.....

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Throwing the door latches in following the same motto of finding common sourced parts! PS ignore the Sheeting, That’s for a few episodes later!!!🤣🤣🤣

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Throwing the door latches in following the same motto of finding common sourced parts! PS ignore the Sheeting, That’s for a few episodes later!!!🤣🤣🤣
Its been a long road, but everything looks great. You will be in the snow next winter for sure.

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely a great job on the latch mounting.......
What are you using for weather seals ????? Standard type that slip over the pinch weld ????
That is the new plan (change order, lol) I wanted to go with an edge style that had a bulb seal attached to it but the clearance on the door jamb is more fitting for just the edge seal!

What I wanted to use, but I would need a deeper door jam, I made my Jambs with 1” recess, built the doors with 3/4” sq tubing and added 1/8” Aluminum Sheeting, should have left me with 1/8” gap for the seal but in reality I needed to make the jamb 1/2” deep for the bulb seal style:

What I ended up using:

Snowy Rivers

I see.

Just a suggestion.

The edge guard is stiff and not really designed as a seal.
Closed cell foam weather strip about 3/16" thick x 1" wide self adhesive may be a better choice to keep out water......

The edge guard material is more for covering metal edges and to add a finished look.

Once you have the rig in the weather you will be able to tell if things seal well.....A "Change order" may be needed.

The pinch weld slip over bulb type is great stuff....Pretty universal too.....

If you can do it....Adding a gutter or a flange to kick the water off the side so it does not just pour over the side right onto the top of the door might be a thought....

Just some thoughts

Looking great....
I love the door handles

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a great Idea!!! And just so fitting you would mention that!!! And the door handles allows me to strap them shut for trailering; seen way to many pieces of equipment with the doors/glass wrecked because the door flew open going down the hwy…

Snowy Rivers

Suicide doors are great for getting in a cat or other equipment.....Sure do suck when they pop open at HWY speeds....
The cat is looking really sweeeeeeeeet...............

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Things are finally wrapping up around the Ranch for the year and I’ll be able to get back to posting videos and working on the FamCat!

Thank you for being patient with me, and I hope to see you on the snow!!!