• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1980 Tucker 1544 Engine Install - 4BD1T

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The thing (1200c) tag says 7450 empty, same engine/trans, not sure if the 1500 has an oc 12 but the dif must be close in weight if it isn’t. Plus 500-1000 for a full cab maybe?
They found a way to shave off a bunch of weight somehow, looks like a tub more than a frame sub-frame

I"ve seen that one, and at this point - I think if that one makes its way to my house, I might be sleeping alone in the bed, or better yet in that "added on cab" of 1500...

Damn cats keep on multiplying.

Worst case scenario - I will remove engine from all the cats I see now - and probably get more for it...

May be that what I should do to the Frandee - see it selling faster that way......:clap:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
geeeeeezzzzz, 177 total hours, that is a nearly new machine, still be under warranty?, yup, that is a bunch of money, if you bought something for less money in well used condition, pretty sure you will make up the price difference within a short period of time,

unless you subscribe to the R Squirrel 50 hour theory, buy a machine that has about 50 hours of life left in it, drive it till it dies, then, turn it into lawn art with lots of pretty flowers

all n all, think it is worth a serious look, make the best deal you can, and finally, go out and enjoy many, many, many trouble free snow cat adventures.

FYI, it has a light bar already installed......

Snowy Rivers

I was told that we are going to be a two cat family (One has four treads and sleeps in the bed with us)

So I do believe that this old Packmaster is gonna be the only outdoor cat we get.....:bolt:

BUT...With 45 acres I have room for many many more... :th_lmao:

Attachments

• CHUPI1.JPG
    CHUPI1.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 288

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
hopefully, everyone doing well during the quarantine times.

With things slowing down, finally got 1544 out of the shop doors.
Had hard time chasing down my issue with "no reverse", turned out I got a bad "donor" unit that came with the motor.

In any case, thankfully had another truck that recently was purchased for parts, and I had a spare transmission that I could have swapped out.

Wiring is a mess, in sense of how much of it is there with these swaps - Jatco JR403e tranny that was fitted behind the 4BDs has electronically controlled solenoids, turning it in a bit of a nightmare, in my case made me doubt my wiring skills as gears werent shifting/working right, which in the end turned out to be a bad mechanically tranny.

With all said - bet was a bit confusing - its the russian in me - cat is done as far as engine install, tracks are turning, steering ram is working (and I do love how this thing turns)...

Hoping to bring the cat home next weeks or so, finish up the interior at best for a good test drive before the snow melts, and than take summer time to finish up all the fine details to be ready for next winter, I hope its going to be a snowy one like the last one was!

Snowy Rivers

Looking really good Bud

Sorry top hear about the tranny troubles.....

All the electronics can be a nightmare for sure....especially when they don't work.

Hope you can get the beast on the snow before it goes away.....:thumbup:

olympicorange

……. . nice progress, looking good,... bummer on the tranny,.... hope you get some test time on snow ,.... looking forward to what MPH you will obtain on the top end,..... :thumbup:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
……. . nice progress, looking good,... bummer on the tranny,.... hope you get some test time on snow ,.... looking forward to what MPH you will obtain on the top end,..... :thumbup:

Thanks guys,

Yes, top speed will be a matter of interest on the test drive for sure,

If my estimates are correct, I'm expecting 10-12mph considering that motor/tranny are not even pushed highly, really love the low end torque and the crawl option that it has at this point.

Might just need to regear the axles to up the top speed, plus I think selectable locker is a great idea in the rear. Seems like my front is just locked all the time, havent opened up the dif to see (hopefully its not welded dif) :)

PJL

Did you have to swap the drum parking brake to disc or was that already on the replacement transmission?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you have to swap the drum parking brake to disc or was that already on the replacement transmission?

Drum brake thats factory on that transmission is a PARKING brake function, and a disc brake is there on the transfer case's side (that came from factory by Tucker)

Hope that answers your question

PJL

I watched the Youtube again. It's the backing plate that I saw, the drum isn't on it.

Nice work.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It’s like a binge watch thread. New season comes out at once you absorbs it all then leaves you wanting more awesome!

NiksFlix is a great streaming service. Thanks for the Orange Premium Package subscription.(not that the others weren’t impressive)

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I watched the Youtube again. It's the backing plate that I saw, the drum isn't on it.

Nice work.

Yes, I decided that backing plate wasnt much of a concern, or worth to go through the trouble of removing (popping off yolk, etc.)... Who knows, may be I put on that parking brake one day :)

It’s like a binge watch thread. New season comes out at once you absorbs it all then leaves you wanting more awesome!

NiksFlix is a great streaming service. Thanks for the Orange Premium Package subscription.(not that the others weren’t impressive)

NiksFlix... i like that :)

Thanks, and yes, binging on vids is one of my "sins" as well (I guess).
I found that when I was a bit younger (not that I'm old, but in the past) - I felt the need to share much detail, and now - just want to get done! Time feels like its flying so fast, and I have so many more projects to complete... LOL... (this quarantine time doesnt help with how slow others get stuff done, glad I ordered/got my parts before this crap happened)

Anyways, more vids coming I'm sure! Thanks for "watching" :) :) :)

olympicorange

hello Nik, did you get a chance to get it out & about ,..... curious on how you made out . you''ll love the torque curve from a dead stop,.... easy on the ''governor'' pedal...lol

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
hello Nik, did you get a chance to get it out & about ,..... curious on how you made out . you''ll love the torque curve from a dead stop,.... easy on the ''governor'' pedal...lol

I brought it home, now able to tinker more closely with my home supplies, job gets done much faster. Wrapping up all the sensors/ports, etc. to run my gauges, having a bit of an issue getting a read-out from the Tach gauge, went with one that reads it off the alternator.

At this point, just have left to wire up the fuel gauge/fuel tank and transmission temperature sensor. Hoping I can just tap into the factory/already installed temp sensor in the tranny and get my gauges to recognize the signal. Will make my install much simpler.

If all goes well, might take it out this weekend.

p.s. yes, low end torque is great.

p.s.s. for the gearing (and anyone knowing for sure please chime in) - these are the numbers I came up with:

Possible gear ratio on original NP540 5sp that was behind the original 318Chry

Option 1 - 6.06, 3.31, 1.81, 1.00, 0.82 / Reverse 6.06
Option 2 - 6.06, 3.31, 2.10, 1.22, 1.00 / Reverse 6.06

This is what books tell me on my current JR403e Transmission

1st - 3.068
2nd - 1.571
3rd - 1.000
OD - 0.724
Rev - 2.625

So considering these numbers are close, and all working ok - My OD on the auto will be lower than the original manual, so top speed might be a bit faster than original, and revers wont be as low geared as it was with the manual.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I like the 4BD1 in this 1544...

yet still mixed feelings of the 4tracks vs 2tracks

ACtC-3dEq8rWeytAPN0P2j6KueguKBr7Lof5uPCgtLp76P9Zswk8E7vErSV2Xn1A2SYpkISW0LAKjKV2jqBkphHhANPlmergAxJ8PgknlSnRO6z_MXXJT4_bMJaeO9hZQrFkyO1pAbOWHZCKN_bybqsUAdMOwA=w1019-h681-no

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Must have been served Diet orange kool aid.

those extra tracks make all the difference. well that and being able to go to napa for all the parts........

:cool:)))))))

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I like the 4BD1 in this 1544...

yet still mixed feelings of the 4tracks vs 2tracks

ACtC-3dEq8rWeytAPN0P2j6KueguKBr7Lof5uPCgtLp76P9Zswk8E7vErSV2Xn1A2SYpkISW0LAKjKV2jqBkphHhANPlmergAxJ8PgknlSnRO6z_MXXJT4_bMJaeO9hZQrFkyO1pAbOWHZCKN_bybqsUAdMOwA=w1019-h681-no
remember what the kid in school used to say when the kids teased him about the rpg glasses 4 eyes are better than 2

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Couple of vids

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2f1BcF8bE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEDP0MNIJHA[/ame]

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Steering/Hydro fluid temperature and cooling.

So as a side note, while on the test drive back in May, I could tell that machine was running on a "warm" side, which is partially expected I guess when dealing with 70F ambient temps.

On the other hand, I felt/touched the hydro hose and almost burned myself (at least it felt that way), my understanding ATF fluid is whats used in Tucker for steering as well, thus makes me think operating temps of the hydro-steer system shouldnt be far off from transmission temp range, right?

Who runs what temps? whats expected/normal operating temps?

Adding an extra cooling radiator with a fan (like for automatic transmission) would be an overkill or something that is within reason to consider?

All thoughts/ideas are welcome...

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Heat kills everything, especially automatic transmissions, I would run a good synthetic oil with a big cooler and not run it much over 200 degrees. Normal should be around 175 degrees under a load.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to use aw 32 in my Vickers vtm pump for my snowplow it worked great. if your hoses are that hot I would integrate a cooler into your return system. in the military we ran 15w40 in our Allison transmissions the 15w40 can withstand more heat than automatic transmission fluid.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
If the steering hydro is real hot, check relief valve(s). I don't know the system well enough to be specific, but a stuck closed relief valve can cause things to heat up in a hurry esp with a closed center system.