• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spryte axle spindle size??

AbelLMTV

I need to plasma this one out and weld a new one in. Using calipers I am finding it is 1 3/8" at the part closest to the torsion arm and it tapers down to 1 1/4" closest to the threads. I am not finding a 1 3/8" taper to 1 1/4" spindle available online.

Can someone enlighten me??

Attachments

• 2019-12-06 07.48.46.jpg
    2019-12-06 07.48.46.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 246

olympicorange

………… how about a local machine shop,.... looks like the inner & outer brg. journals are the same,... with a new brg. & grease seal; you'll have your i.d./o.d. dimensions,.... ''whiz''wheel the welds & remove the old spindle,... :smile:

Snowy Rivers

As rough as that sucker is....smooth off the gnarlies and see just how well the bearings fit on the spindle.

You might be surprised, they might fit OK at the actual spot they sit.

Rather than cutting that stub off...possibly save it.

I have seen worse that ended up being quite usable....

These are not high load and or high speed...

If the bearings will (With some cleanup) slide back on and fit fairly well...they should be fine....

The seal surface has had a "Speedy Sleeve" installed.....get that sucker off and a new one will fix that area.

I am fussy about stuff, but years ago we had a bearing fail on a trailer and it was ugly.

After getting the old junk cut off and a bit of elbow grease later it still looked a bit abused....but was perfectly fine as far as being serviceable.

It's a shame that the torsion hubs were not manufactured so the spindle was a replaceable part.

(Slip into a keyed bore with a nut on the back)

Snowy Rivers

JUST A NOTE HERE

I have seen many bearings wasted on snow cat boggy wheels.

Treat these like a boat trailer that gets dunked in the water all the time.

Snow water is the softest water on the planet, and these wheels are running down in powdery soft or often sloppy snow..

The tires and wheels and spindles generate heat, and when they cool off they actually can suck water inside past the seal.

Even with bearing buddies (Grease fitting caps) water will get in.

The bearings rust up over time....and you will not hear the growling like in a car with a bad bearing....eventually the wheel comes off and or you end up with a spindle like the one above.

Bearings on these machines need to be cleaned, inspected and repacked after the season is over....

The cat we had at the snowmobile club years ago suffered a spindle failure similar to the one above....Turned out that all the bearings in the track wheels were shot RUST AND WATER

Just an FYI