• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Big time broken...photos

cootbruce

Local snowmo club got stuck....pulled the machine out wrong....end result.....broken machine.

Attachments

• groomer1.jpg
    groomer1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 789
  • groomer.jpg
    groomer.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 790
  • groomer5.jpg
    groomer5.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 791
  • groomer4.jpg
    groomer4.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 806

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
YOu know, during the clowder trail ride on Friday, we went over quite a few of those flowing springs on the way to the lake.

WE broke through most on them as well.

Running water never freezes.

Ouch is right

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ouch. That's gonna be a little pricey to fix. Here's another one that's gonna take a little bit of tlc.

10955729_10152681608660878_1244919056750035813_n.jpg

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
There's broke and then there is really broke. Both those belong in the really, really broke category.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Eyowww!!! that hurts! I doubt that new holland tractor has a very light footprint.I'm thinking a real trail grooming machine wouldnt have broke thru the ice.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Eyowww!!! that hurts! I doubt that new holland tractor has a very light footprint.I'm thinking a real trail grooming machine wouldnt have broke thru the ice.
Actually a farm tractor, especially with tracks, imparts a light footprint per square inch.

While farm tractors are heavy, and are desgned for pulling, they are also designed not to compact the soil too much and thus spread their weight over big fat low pressure tires or tracks.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would be willing to bet a virtual beer that repair will exceed the value.......

Just an opinion.

$.02

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
First off the loader should not be there. Limited usefullness, and adds weight to the front end..

I don't think a $125K tractor will be salvaged. Transmission housing looks ok (it broke outside of the final drives away from the trans housing), an axle housing, the planetary final drive, and an axle would catch most of this. Say $15K for the parts, and 2 X this for labor, or $45K would do most of this repair. About half the value of the tractor.

It could be torn down and sold for parts, but I doubt it would be economical or timely to recover costs that way.. Scrap, no way....

Some one will buy it cheap and fix it up, I think. Mike your on for that beer!

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Loader

we have one on the grooming tractor, we like it, we often carry a bucket of snow to gain more traction.

I am hedging my bet against the hours on the clock.

I see a front and a rear axle, a twisted loader. I would guess it has a bunch o hours on it and it is insured.

the elders in the club will push for a new machine, The salesmen will be happy to ablige.

I am guessing my beer is safe.

:brows:

Mmike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I still think that if the transmission housing is unbroken, it will be fixed by some one other than your snowmobile club.. Your right thought it won't be a groomer "no more" in the future. Would be interesting to fallow it and see if some one doesn't purchase it on the cheap and repair it. Guessing we will never know for sure?

Regards, Kirk

cootbruce

This is what they pulled it out with....a BIG wrecker. The road was nearby, so they pulled at an angle and just drug it out..........Since the road was so close, I think they should have gotten an excavator or other equipment in and dug it out....oh well, this is way our insurance rates are so high..

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 581

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
When something sinks straight down like that,with frozen ground around it, it needs to come out straight up !!! a big excavator could have lifted it straight up ,with hardly any damage. unreal!!!!

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
What could make this interesting is, if insured, the insurance company says damage is due to the tow operators incompetence. I've see a few of these over the years where a car was totaled, not by the initial wreck, but by the tow operator.

One a couple winters ago. The car slid into a ditch during an ice storm. Little to no damage, just stuck. The tow company op didn't lift high enough when winching and caught the transmission on the road lip. Tore the engine loose. Tow company ate that one. All the disclaimers don't mean much it seems.

black sheep

Just curious on if they slid off trail into the creek. It doesn't look like a place that was a trail crossing. Aside from the damage caused there's probably a lot of guys from Mn,Wi, and Il disappointed after paying $50 per machine to ride on trails that may not be as good.
I'm sure we all have been in a similar situation and still haven't learned our lessons.( 1984 1342 ME pulled out by a 12 tired JD used for pushing up silage) Also backing up about a mile from the ski jump.

jp11

We had a local club with a blazer on tracks.. they put it on a bridge that was old.. Pole broke and down the blazer went.

Only damage was a broken tail lamp. Till they got all wound up about getting it out. Used a skidder, and pretty much totaled the blazer getting it out.

Almost always a good idea to wait for daylight, and for everyone to 'cool off' before a recovery is attempted. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

JP

groomer08

or they could have put somebody who knew what they were doing in the cab, and helped creep it out of the hole as the wrecker pulled. also would have helped if the drag was unhooked, and winched free later. extra weight never helps anything in a recovery.
I also like the excavator idea. he could have snuck in and broke up any ice or frozen ground around the machine before extracting.
that rear track was down in a hole, and they just kept pulling without trying to get that track frame to walk up onto the ice.