• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi Track Tensioning Question

79bombi

Site Supporter
When I put my tracks back together during my repairs they were super tight and I lost a lot of knuckles trying to stretch them back together. Eventually I had to get 6" bolts and tighten them to get the tracks back together. I replaced wheels so they may have been a little bigger.

If I replace tracks should I add in a set or two of extra grousers? Anyone know what the rule of thumb on this one is?

79Bombi

IM000372.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Bombi Track Question

I don't know about the Bombi, but on my Snow Trac there is a way to simply loosen or tighten the track. Can you do that?

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You should have track tensioners. Some are screw type and some are made to lengthen with a grease gun. Since your Bombi's drive is in front the rear axle should move. Even so, track jacks are indespensible in bringing the lacing together. They can be made using all-thread if you can't find any for that machine.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bombi has a greese filled cylinder that moves the rear wheel, or at least mine did. You un thread the Zerk to let the greese out to loosen the track and pump it up with a greese gun. Don't over tighten it. you can do some real damage by overtightening it.

79bombi

Site Supporter
I pulled out the zerk fittings and pushed all of the grease out. What are track jacks? I tried using come-a-longs, ratchet straps ......

mkntrakes

where did you get the belts? had some built once they missed the pitch by 1/8 inch change lenght of belts then they were to short to fit machine.looks by picture rear tire is as far forward as it will go without rubbing idler tire in front of it

mlang2005

mine are always a bear. I let the air out of the tire on the one end. Wont work if yours are foam filled. you need to make two a c-clamp type devices (a good come-a-long will work) to pull on the grousers, I put the splice on the top towards one end then I pull on the second bars past the splice, this draws the two ends together and they droop down and are easily laced together. It seems like the tracks are to short but if they were any longer the tensioner would run out of stroke? Curious how the rest of you all tackle this task.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have some 8" throat bar clamps. Also found a 2" nylon ratcheting tie down helpful. Thought it would be alot harder but that particular track does have an extra grouser because they had the wheel alignment all wacked out and a tire would hit the rear bogey hub :confused2: I had the splice directly behind the wheel.

Looks like getting an endless track back on will be more of a challange :confused: Yes, the J5 has one of each (rolleyes)

Plan on sliding wheel way forward and using a clamp to bring it back to where the adjuster can be used easily ( screw-type )

Last edited:

Eric L

Site Supporter
Disclaimer: I have no experience with belted tracks, but I have a lot of conveyor experience.

I might would try completely removing the front rubber tire, then replace it after the lacing is connected, but before tensioning the belts.

Eric