• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

new clothes washer suggestion

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
wife got flooded yesterday while I was trail riding. looking for a washer.
any suggestions? large capacity one is needed.
I looked on line but got overwhelmed. they have lots of new stuff. Smartphone an diagnostic by phone.
jim

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife got a SAMSUNG a couple years ago and its been a great washing machine. Uses less water (front loader), washes fast, quiet. But with ALL brands of front loaders you have to leave the door ajar when not in use or mildew will cause an odor in the door.

Leni

I bought a LG washer and dryer last year. They do a very nice job and have lots of features that I like such as a steam cycle in the dryer. I use that to get the wrinkles out if I don't get the clothes out right away. You can buy a pedestal to stand them on that not only raises them to a more workable height for me (6') but it adds storage as they have a large drawer in them.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've got a high effieciency top loader whirlpool cabrio. It was only a year old and came with the house we bought. Sure, it handles very large loads and uses minimal water. But I will be very polite in saying it's the biggest POS I've ever had for washing clothes. First off, it doesn't clean like a regular top loader. Secondly, it bunches all of the clothes up into a big wad in the bottom of the machine when it's done. Third, there's no real load size selection so it's a guessing game as to which setting to use. Fourthly and the part that pisses me off the most is that occasionally it will bunch all of the clothes up and not spin or drain properly in the final spin. I have to go and take all of the soaking wet clothes out, restart it on the "drain and spin" setting. Wait for it to click and do a quick test spin. Then quickly open the lid and reload it when the lid unlocks for a second. I can see why the previous owners of the house were quick to agree to leaving it behind. The thing sounds like a spaceship taking off when it spins and when its done it makes the same annoying sound a corner store lottery ticket machine makes for a winner.

http://www.viewpoints.com/Whirlpool-Cabrio-Top-Load-Washer-reviews

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
told the wife samsun and sent her off. just got a call and she just bought a set .didn't bother to ask what kind.
jim

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
We bought an LG washer and dryer about 6 years ago - the biggest ones they had at the time. Something named Tromm maybe.

We had one of those stack units in the condo when we bought it. I bought the stack kit for the LGs and they fit in the same spot with many times the capacity of the stack-unit.

The machines wash great and have many different settings.

I did have one of the solenoid valves develop a leak and I replaced it. Something like a $15 part.

jwstewar

We bought a Samsung front load washer & dryer after the house fire. They have now been in use about 6 years. We had Lowes (A&E appliance repair) out so many times under the extended warranty plan we got to know the repair man's kids - only half kidding. The washer basically ruined every set of sheets, towel, and wash cloth that we had just bought to replace the ones lost in the fire. It won't dispense the detergent and bleach correctly. It just dumps it into the washer leaving huge spots. They blamed Monica for not cleaning the dispenser mechanism often enough. They replaced the mechanism a couple of times and the first time you would use it, it would do the same thing. Finally once the warranty was up, we learned to just live with it. She uses very little bleach any more (which is good for the septic). However, I've noticed she is doing a lot more of washing clothes by hand - especially the kids' white clothes they use for the dairy shows. We also had Lowes out several times because bearings were out of the dryer. They seem like they finally got that resolved, but every now and then, one of them will still howl for a load or two and then quiet down. The Samsung fridge seems to be decent though....

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My old Maytag units are still chugging along, knock on wood.

I've been reading a bit about the new ones.
What I read most often is:
- If it's a front loader it'll give you problems. There's 2 types of front loaders. Those that are giving you problems and those that are going to.

- If it says energy efficient, it doesn't clean things very well.

When I do replace, I'll be looking for the older style top loader with the swirly-stick in the middle.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We all seem to be mainly using Samsung. Add us to the list.

A couple of years back I converted a room in my shop and built my wife a laundry room. She got the Samsung top loader but without an agitator. She loves it. It's fully programmable as to temperature, length of cycle etc. More bells and whistles than I care for but that's OK because I'm not the one that uses it. I sure hope it lasts a while. :wink::wink:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I prefer a tall Amish girl myself. They don't have any electronics to go bad!:whistling:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We have a set Fisher & Paykel . Been problem free since we purchased them . The washer sounds like a jet turbine in the spin cycle and takes out about all the water so drying is super fast . Kinda pricey .

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We've got a high effieciency top loader whirlpool cabrio. It was only a year old and came with the house we bought. Sure, it handles very large loads and uses minimal water. But I will be very polite in saying it's the biggest POS I've ever had for washing clothes. First off, it doesn't clean like a regular top loader. Secondly, it bunches all of the clothes up into a big wad in the bottom of the machine when it's done. Third, there's no real load size selection so it's a guessing game as to which setting to use. Fourthly and the part that pisses me off the most is that occasionally it will bunch all of the clothes up and not spin or drain properly in the final spin. I have to go and take all of the soaking wet clothes out, restart it on the "drain and spin" setting. Wait for it to click and do a quick test spin. Then quickly open the lid and reload it when the lid unlocks for a second. I can see why the previous owners of the house were quick to agree to leaving it behind. The thing sounds like a spaceship taking off when it spins and when its done it makes the same annoying sound a corner store lottery ticket machine makes for a winner.

http://www.viewpoints.com/Whirlpool-Cabrio-Top-Load-Washer-reviews

Quick update on my whirlpool. Considering the thing is about 2-3 yrs old tops, biggest POS I have ever had. It died completely on us on sunday. I flipped it over to discover that the belt was almost melted and the transmission had seized up solid. Turn it on and all it does is "click click click" and continues to do that after the power is off. So, the washer ended up out in the garage monday and I set out to buy a new one. Came home with a Samsung VRT top loader. I've used front loaders before and not a huge fan of them. Plus, unless you spend the money and buy the bases for them it's not exactly pleasant for someone 6'3" getting down on my hands and knees to do laundry.

Love the samsung soo far. Extremly quiet and washes the clothes good. No complaints other than the sounds it makes when its done. The thing practically sings a whole song when it's done. I quickly disabled the sounds.

ca_WA456DRHDWR-AA_001_Front-JPG_white_thumb

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/home-appliances/washers-dryers/washers/WA456DRHDWR/AA