• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

FIRST POST! Help with 1980 SkiDozer

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: FIRST POST!

Can't help you with your Skidozer but welcome to the forum!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Welcome docmaple. Always good to have another doc in the house. :thumb: :D

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

docmaple said:
HI EVERYONE .I JOINED TO GET INFO ON MY 1980 SKIDOZER. ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIANCE WITH ONE?
Are you referring to the little Bombardier units? Typically one seat, about 4' wide with a plow on the front? Can you post a photo so we can identify exactly what you are talking about, or at least a brand/model number?

Is it one of these Bombardier SW48 units?
73221765.jpg

Or are you talking about one of these units with the larger cab and wider track (also a Bombardier, I believe this is an SV 252)

Bombardier.JPG

• Message to bczoom . . . this is post 6000 for me, so whoever won the bet, make sure you only send them half their winnings, I get the other half! :whistle:

docmaple

HI MTNCRAWLER, IJUST PURCHASED A 1980 SKIDOZER 252 IT IS STILL WAITING TO BE SHIPPED FROM WI. I WAS INTERESTED IN WHAT MAINT. THE Y REQUIRE AND ANY TIPS IN PURCHASING A BLADE .IT CAME WITH A GROOMING DRAG BUT NO BLADE. IT WAS USED BY A PARK IN GREENBAY AND ONLY HAS 1700 HOURS. HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
docmaple,
From my limited experience around these machines the drive sprockets and idlers are a weak point and can be a major maintenance item on this machine. What will you use the machine for? Do you really need a blade? Try to acquire the proper maintenance manuel and check the machine over closely for any problems. Find someone locally that may have the mechanical ability to check the machine over and to educate you if you are not inclined that way. Also try to talk with someone who actually operated and maintained the machine to find out what they know about any possible problems. If you have already purchased the machine they should let you know what to expect and if it needs any major repairs.

Bill

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Alyeska Had several of these. they use a pair of hydrolic motors and 2 additional ring gears in the rear end to steer. If you break one of these it's about 30,000$ to fix, or at least that's what Bombardier charged the Pipeline. They( Alyeska or the "Trans Alaska Pipeline") had 44 Tucker Snow cats and purchased 5 or 6 of these. But the Tuckers would out perform the Bombardier's and the guy's didn't like taking a chance that the thing might break down out on the Tundra at 40 below. Eventually they sold off the Newer, 1987, Ski Dozers. Alyeska's machines had: 2 sets of tracks, a removable 'Man Box' that would hold about 10 people, removable dump bodies, a front blade, and 2 of the machines also sported a crane or back hoe attachment. They cost a whopping 485,000$ with all the attachments. I went to inspect some electrical work on the Pipeline near Valdez and Thompson Pass in one. When we completed the work we loaded a generator, a pipe threader, lots of tools and a couple ladders in the man box along with 4 electricians. The rear double doors kept poping open so we wired them shut from the outside. The Operator and I were in the cab wearing hearing protection when we started hearing this thumping sound going up this long hill. Seems a fairly large fire extinguisher had fallen over in the man box and discharged. Fortunately there was a pop top roof hatch and the guys all had there heads out gasping for air. One of those experiences you don't readily forget! Theirs had the Dodge Turbo cummings Diesel. Good luck with your new machine.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Docmaple, give us more information on what it is you have there. Is it a diesel hydrostatic or gas with mechanical steer?

Hey Docmaple!

Did you finally receive your SkiDozer? I am new to this forum so I was reading through the older posts and I came upon this one. I have a 1980 SkiDozer 302. This unit has a 429 Ford gas V8, a C6 automatic transmission, and the 41” wide aluminum tracks. It is equipped with the two man cab (I wish it had the 5 man cab).

I am planning a complete dismantling and restoration from the ground up. I want to do something along the lines of what nytsster did with his interior in his DMC 1200. That is, try to sound deaden it and insulate at the same time.

I am thinking of going to a Ford 300 six cylinder engine. Then again, I am not sure that I want to make any changes. Why Bombardier went with such a large engine for this unit I am not sure. This unit started its life at a ski slop hauling snow guns and drags. Maybe they needed the torque from this hefty engine to navigate the slopes while hauling loads.

This unit is used to access my cabin in the Adirondacks during the winter. In the past, I have used a FWD with a V plow to make my way in. This was an outrages idea as I did nothing but broke axles and tore up clutches and transmissions. I figured it would be easier to go over the top of the snow rather than through it. Then I went to an Argo with custom made snow tracks. This worked but not really, I ended up making 2 to 3 trips in and out to get all the gear and supplies. :smileywac

Right now I am trying to ship it to my home to get things started.:(

docmaple

DEAR SKIDOZER 302 ,DID YOU BUY IT ON EBAY ? MY SKIDOZER 252 SHOULD BE DELIVERED THIS TUESDAY. I HAD A VERY HARD TIME ARRANGING SHIPPING FROM WI. MINE HAS THE FORD 6

Doc, yes, this unit came from EBay. I feel that I purchased this for an great price. :thumb:

Where are you having it shipped to? How is it being shipped? Where did you purchase your unit from?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems to me that the lowest prices are found on eBay. Its sort of odd that many items get bid UP in price on eBay but generally the snowcats that I see get sold on eBay seem to go for very modest prices (and brand does NOT seem to make any difference, any snowcat on eBay seems to go a a low price). My guess is that the higher quality, or newer, or more desireable units sell off the dealer lots so it is rare to see a dealer sell a snowcat on eBay. That leaves mostly private sales on eBay and probably 25% of the snowcats on eBay are complete junk or near junk machines. Another 25% are good candidates for restoration but in need of a lot of TLC. There are some great deals on eBay when the right unit comes up for sale!!!

It also seems like there are a lot of little Bombardier Sidewalk Plows that show up. Some are sold as sidewalk plows. But it seems some people who don't have a clue buy them as ATVs for rough trail running or think they are buying a small snowcat, but what they buy is not suitable for those uses so they resell them. Those things are too tippy for rough trails!!!

B_Skurka said:
Another 25% are good candidates for restoration but in need of a lot of TLC.

This is the category that my unit falls into…definitely needs TLC! But it is absolutely rebuild able for the price!

Last edited:

docmaple

MY SKIDOZER SHIPPING WAS DELAYED AGAIN! I'M BEGINING TO WONDER IF I'LL EVER SEE IT. THE TRUCKER GUARANTEED IT WOULD BE HERE BY SAT MORNING.IF NOT I HAVE FOUND A TRAILER AND WILL TAKE A ROAD TRIP NEXT WEEKEND.IT IS BEING SHIPPED TO MIDDLEFIELD OHIO.WE ARE SUPPOSED TO GET 9- 18'' OF SNOW TODAY SO IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE IT.MY SKIDOZER ALSO CAME FROM EBAY .IT WAS ORIGINALLY OWNED BY THE CITY OF GREENBAY TO GROOM THERE SNOWMOBILE TRAILS.IT HAS ONLY 1600 HRS.IT WAS PURCHASED BY A MAN WHO HAS A SNOWMOBILE MUSEUM BUT IT WOULD NOT FIT THROUGH HIS DOOR SO HE DECIDED TO SELL IT. I'M GOING TO USE IT ON MY MAPLE SYRUP FARM.I AM LOCATED IN THE LAKE ERIE SNOW BELT SO IT SHOULD COME IN HANDY

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
docmaple said:
IT IS BEING SHIPPED TO MIDDLEFIELD OHIO.
Do I assume correctly that's where you live? It's not far from me.

BTW, We're getting the snow here as well but doubt we'll get as much as you.

docmaple

BELIEVE IT OR NOT MY SKIDOZER IS IN MY FARMYARD.IT ARRIVED SAT NIGHT OR SUN MORNING AT 1:30 AM. BUT NOW OUR SNOW IS DISAPPEARING.