• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Freezer caught fire, tore the floor.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We have 2 upright 20 cu.ft. freezers side by side in our pantry off the kitchen. I smelled something early this morning and kept asking the wife if she had one of those damn plug in air fresheners plugged in again. Turns out it was the one freezer in the pantry with what I assume is a capacitor that was smoking. I moved the one out and it was hot at the compressor but nowhere else. When I moved the other one the front leveler tore the vinyl floor about 8 inches in front of where it normally sits. The component was glowing and smoking so I unplugged it and ended up getting a new one from Sears when they opened at 11 am. It seems to run fine and only smokes when it is under high head pressure after a defrost cycle. This was the older Frigidaire one that is 10 years old. Now I have to try to glue down the tear tomorrow after I get some good vinyl adhesive. The stuff I had was hard as a rock after sitting for about 5 years since I last used it.:hammer:

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow Mule..Glad you was there to find it,,could of been bad... good luck on the tear..:ermm:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wonder why the breaker didn't snap?
Not drawing enough load I guess. The stink was from the plastic case on what ever it is. Looks about like a 2 prong flasher element. Sure does stink when it gets hot. I will check a local place tomorrow to see if they have one.

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Could be the fur/dust coat on the condencor...maybe clean it and go on.....