• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Diff.

nwerring

I'm having a new Gearbox made for my ST4 and am a little unsure if I can use a standard VW Diff instead of the ST509 Snow Trac diff.?
I have the later style splined axle shafts. I heard of people running a standard VW gearbox as long as you flip the r/p and change side covers.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4485.jpg
    IMG_4485.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_4484.jpg
    IMG_4484.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 239

nwerring

a bus transaxle is what is stock. it has lower gearing.

Yes, I will be using a bus or bug transaxle with the 4.125 gearing and Snow Trac 1,2,3,4 and rev. gearing. -But, what is the deal with the ST 509 diff that Westeråsmaskiner used?.. What's the difference between the ST 509 diff and a stock VW diff.? A swedish friend of mine use a standard VW diff on his Snow Trac, and it works just as good... I'll probably end up sending the ST 509 diff over to the guy building my transaxle so he can compare it to the vw one..
I'm using kcrtransmissions in the US for this work. Looks like a guy who knows his business..

luvthemvws

Up to 1968 the VW Bus used apretty much normal Beetle transaxle with different ratios for 3rd and 4th, a different nose cone (which holds the incoming shifter shaft) and the ring gear was flopped to the other side of the pinion. These are the "paddle shaft" transaxles.
The 1968 Bus transaxle used many Beetle internals with a larger, sturdier differential with a deeper r&p and side bearing screw adjusters. These used splined output shafts with a flange to attach a cv joint. The 1969-up Beetles (and 1968 models with an autostick transaxle) used essentially the same "paddle shaft" transaxle but with a differential that had a male splined trunion shaft onto which a cv flange was retained with a snap ring.
The Snowtrac differential in your photos has a female splined side gear (to receive the spline shafts of the Variator) which is a bit different. Other than that it looks just like an aftermarket "Super-Diff" which incorporates 4 spider gears instead of the normal 2 of a stock VW.
I would say you could use a Super-Diff with the Snowtrac side gears and nearly any VW IRS transaxle and be good to go.