• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Fitness tracker

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
First the disclaimer. I have never been one to track what I eat. Exercise. Or anything else for that matter.

That being said, one app I've been enjoying on my phone is the fitness tracker. I know other Android devices offer a similar app. Not sure about iPhone. I imagine they must. So since my accident I've been trying to pay more attention to what I eat. I've also been working on a balanced workout routine at the gym.

One feature I like on the fitness tracker is the step counter. It gives a daily goal of 6000 steps. Granted most days I struggle to get past 4000 steps other days I can reach the goal. On a bad day I've had less than 800 steps.

With 5 kids at home I've found it harder to get to the gym regularly. Most of what I do at the gym I can do at home with the resources I have here. So we have a rec room downstairs that never gets used. Today I stumbled across a good used treadmill. So the rec room is now in the process of being converted into a workout area. If I don't fully recover it won't be for a lack of effort.

Why the treadmill? I'll admit that I used to bug mom for having one and using it as a clothes rack. If it was just for exercise I wouldn't get one but for my rehab I need to be able to walk without holding onto something in a controlled environment.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I kinda neglected this thread due to all the recent health issues. Anyhow. I have been focusing in keeping fit despite the health related stuff. For those who aren't familiar with the health app on most new phones scroll down for a couple screen shots from my day. You can set your personal goal for how much you walk. There's also a food tracker and other options. I rarely hit my target but the past two days I have. What is cool is the wife has also been trying to workout. She does the fitness blender videos while I do the treadmill. I don't just walk. I also have light weights I use for upper body.

739a032088dec3f7019d17b236056714.jpg
3d8e6b0fbc123e42384c444a1609951d.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
good job.
More and more I read about how lifting weights is good for you. Muscles burn calories 24x7 while walking burns calories while you walk. You really need both types of exercise in your routine. Way to go Brian, keep it up man.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use (sometimes) a FitBit fitness tracker.

They have a "dashboard" for your phone and/or computer that allows you to input your food, sleep, blah blah blah.

I pretty much ignore the dashboard functions.

Mine tracks steps (with a default to 10,000 step goal) and allows you to set your daily goals. It also tracks how many flights of stairs you climb ... but ignores going down the steps. Estimates calories burned. Tells me the time, and also vibrates and gives me the caller ID when my cell phone gets a call. Probably does some other stuff too?

Mostly it tells me I am a slug and I need to stop hanging around the cigar lounge. But on days when I get off my butt I easily manage 10,000 steps and my best day was over 30,000. My best day on stairs was actually while hiking up hills, it counted that as 144 flights of stairs. But even on a normal day inside my home I seem to average between 12 and 18 flights of stairs ... when your house is built into a hillside you have a lot of stairs!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I kinda neglected this thread due to all the recent health issues. Anyhow. I have been focusing in keeping fit despite the health related stuff. For those who aren't familiar with the health app on most new phones scroll down for a couple screen shots from my day. You can set your personal goal for how much you walk. There's also a food tracker and other options. I rarely hit my target but the past two days I have. What is cool is the wife has also been trying to workout. She does the fitness blender videos while I do the treadmill. I don't just walk. I also have light weights I use for upper body.

739a032088dec3f7019d17b236056714.jpg
3d8e6b0fbc123e42384c444a1609951d.jpg

I use S Health on my S6 and it works great. I also have a Garmin Fenix watch with GPS tracking for my time hiking.

S Health is awesome. My doctor loves the blood pressure logs. It all just works.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I use (sometimes) a FitBit fitness tracker.

They have a "dashboard" for your phone and/or computer that allows you to input your food, sleep, blah blah blah.

I pretty much ignore the dashboard functions.

Mine tracks steps (with a default to 10,000 step goal) and allows you to set your daily goals. It also tracks how many flights of stairs you climb ... but ignores going down the steps. Estimates calories burned. Tells me the time, and also vibrates and gives me the caller ID when my cell phone gets a call. Probably does some other stuff too?

Mostly it tells me I am a slug and I need to stop hanging around the cigar lounge. But on days when I get off my butt I easily manage 10,000 steps and my best day was over 30,000. My best day on stairs was actually while hiking up hills, it counted that as 144 flights of stairs. But even on a normal day inside my home I seem to average between 12 and 18 flights of stairs ... when your house is built into a hillside you have a lot of stairs!
Holy crap. I struggle most days to make 3-4000 steps. Yesterday was my personal best since the accident. I find that seeing the numbers in front of me every time I look at my cell gives me a good kick in the rear to get up and do something.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So a bit more about the treadmill I picked up. It seems to be a good quality one from Sears originally with a pricetag of around $1500. I got it used for $100. I was told it was about 5 years old, barely used(as most of them are...lol) and that there was a problem with the incline motor.

When you turn it on you can hear a humming sound. The main drive motor works fine. I decided to tear into it to see what the problem was. I quickly discovered that the incline motor was seized. I began researching replacement motors and they all run on average around $175. So I turned to my trusty go to place for anything....ebay! Success. Found the part for $45 brand new. It's on it's way now. Even used, this treadmill should have sold for closer to $500 so I don't feel bad having $150 into it.

I have been using it regularly and am beginning to feel somewhat better. I set it at a decent speed and begin walking then use light weights for upper body workout at the same time. In 25 minutes at home I can do what I was doing in an hour and a half at the gym. I haven't totally written off the gym but for now until I can get my liver issues worked out this will work.

I found that going to the gym, I'd spend more time explaining to people why I have a drainage bag and am walking with a walker etc etc then actually working out. Once the bag is gone and I can get by with only a cane for longer distances I may return.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So a bit more about the treadmill I picked up. It seems to be a good quality one from Sears originally with a pricetag of around $1500. I got it used for $100. I was told it was about 5 years old, barely used(as most of them are...lol)...

I think most treadmills are used to hang laundry while it dries :ermm:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I think most treadmills are used to hang laundry while it dries :ermm:

:yum:

I used to bug my mother for the same thing as that's where hers sat. In my case though I'm using it as rehab to get me walking again so I think it will get more use. Once I see that it isn't being used I'll sell the thing.