• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Airplane

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well after a bit of a long last year to say the least!

Bought a new (to me) airplane in November of '08, found out I had cancer in February of '09 so didn't get to fly much last year during treatments, this spring took it in to be annualed and found after only getting about 30 hours on it, the engine was making metal in the oil...

Had to send the engine out for overhaul and the propeller because it was a constant speed prop (can change the pitch in flight). The previous owner had run the engine lean which also toasted the muffler so it had to be sent out for rebuilding.

I don't have any problems rebuilding any of the stuff, I just don't have the licenses that the FAA requires to work on it so I had to send all of it off to licensed repair shops.

Since I had to go down to work the oil spill in the Gulf, I didn't get back until late August, then to the North Slope to run boats in the Arctic Ocean supporting the oil companies there.

Well after about $30,000.00 getting all that stuff rebuilt to zero time standards from the firewall forward, I picked the engine up in Anchorage and drove back to Fairbanks and delivered the engine back to the shop for installing all the stuff back on the plane! Still don't know what the remove and replace costs are going to be though...

But, should be able to fly in a few weeks or so... Really cool! Looks like I missed the entire wheel season though and will have to go to skis for the winter, which is cool in it's own right!

Anyway, couldn't figure a better place to post than here in the "Happy Place"

Course the downside is that I now have more in the bird than it is worth...LOL Kinda like a boat!

Attachments

• 7GCBC 2008.jpg
    7GCBC 2008.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 253

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you are ready to start enjoying flying it now. Good rebuild and regular maint. are critical to keep you from falling from the sky. Enjoy!:clap:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
That big smile says it all fogtender :wink: , Congrats on the almost new plane , sounds like you have everything perty well covered & have exactly what you want , which makes it priceless in my book . :clap:

Now just take the time to enjoy it & of coarse we expect plenty more aerial views :w00t2:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well after all you have gone through in the last few years take some time off and fly. And then fly some more. Enjoy it. Nice looking plane.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very NICE! You'll forget all about the time and finance in it when your up there ............. Enjoy!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Aww Foggy, that's such a nice picture.
You look fab and the plane isn't bad either.. :)
Orange!

snow dog

Hey Mr Foggy,
Do you have that much snow already ? How is the new snowcat ? Just remember the motto of all good pilots " never run out of Ideas, airspeed and alitude at the same time ".

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
nice little plane those citrabia's are great little planes kind of like a 150 light and cheap to fly i have only one question why is it painted krusty orange

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Hey Mr Foggy,
Do you have that much snow already ? How is the new snowcat ? Just remember the motto of all good pilots " never run out of Ideas, airspeed and alitude at the same time ".

No, that photo was taken just a few months after I bought the bought the plane and before I found out I had the Prostate Cancer... kinda between "Heaven and hell"...lol

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Is that a 7EC or a KCAB?????I used to have a 7AC....65 tired horses....

The orange one is a 7GCBC, it has a wider wing span, flaps and a lot bigger engine than the 7ECA which is the next step up from the 7EC.

This gray one is mine when I was coming in for the last landing of the ski season about ten years ago. It was a 7ECA with 115 HP engine, no flaps and other than the tail and nose, is pretty much a lot like the 7EC. The KCAB was more of a fully acrobat aircraft, but still can't perform like the Orange one can, the wings were shorter and it also didn't have flaps, but did come with up to 180 HP engine.

By the way, there is snow about another twenty feet to the right, it was where the runway started and was packed down and still covered in good snow.

Attachments

• flying.jpg
    flying.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 209

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
It's a Kitfox IV-1050, I did not build this plane. I can't claim that kind of craftsmanship. I am currently building one similar to it, a IV-1200.

On wheels, I can land, stop and take off over the simulated 50' trees in 1000'.

Of course skis depend on the snow, but I can get in and out of my buddy's hill-top 1500' strip at gross.

snow dog

You go and spend all the time in the skies, everyone who lives through cancer earns the right to extra play time.. Just one rule,,, no crashes:clap:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
It's a Kitfox IV-1050, I did not build this plane. I can't claim that kind of craftsmanship. I am currently building one similar to it, a IV-1200.

On wheels, I can land, stop and take off over the simulated 50' trees in 1000'.

Of course skis depend on the snow, but I can get in and out of my buddy's hill-top 1500' strip at gross.

Does that have the "flaparons", or just big alerons?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Does that have the "flaparons", or just big alerons?

Kitfoxes have "flapperons" that act as ailerons and flaps. Clean stall at ~45 mph, dirty at ~40 mph, at gross weight.

The model IV was the first with a redesigned control mixer that gives "differential aileron" control, meaning the up travel is twice that of the down travel in attempt to limit the (very heavy) adverse yaw.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Kitfoxes have "flapperons" that act as ailerons and flaps. Clean stall at ~45 mph, dirty at ~40 mph, at gross weight.

The model IV was the first with a redesigned control mixer that gives "differential aileron" control, meaning the up travel is twice that of the down travel in attempt to limit the (very heavy) adverse yaw.

Sounds like a pretty neat plane! How many hours you have on/in it now!

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I do have a Rotax, but not a 2-stroke "ring-ding". The motor in my plane is a 912UL.

Come fly with me...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3v4cVLkv5M"]YouTube - Sunday Fun - Kitfox Flying.wmv[/ame]

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
912 is a good engine! Not really keen on a snowmachine engine as the reason I am in the air!

Nice footage, too bad you used that digital camera, I used mine a couple of times and got the same results. At least with the older cameras, you didn't get that look of "Blinds blowing in the wind".