• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Most Money you Ever Spent on a watch?

What is the most money you ever spent on a watch?

• Less than $20

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Less than $50

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Less than $100

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • More than $100

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • More than $500

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • More than $1000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than $5000

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Cityboy

Banned
I think I might have spent $75 bucks once on a watch as a gift for a girl.

My last watch was $12 and the one before that was $8 and worked for about 3 years until the piece that held the band onto the watch broke. The watch still works.

If you have the bucks to buy a Rolex, more power to you! But I just want to know what time it is, and not think about the $500 I'm wearing on my wrist. In some things, price does not always guarentee quality.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I actually hate wearing a watch. They put too much pressure on that little bump shaped wrist bone. I can usually tell the time within about 20 minutes without any kind of clock available. The most important times for me are Lunch Time, Dinner Time and Bed Time. My body is extremely adept at telling me when those times are. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My answer was less than 100, until I read your post CB. I did buy my wife one that was a good bit more than $100 but well less than $500.

I don't wear watches regularly, unless I'm traveling and can't be sure there will be a clock close by. My normal day I have clocks everywhere. No need for a watch. I've been buying my watches at a discount outlet store for $9.99 or $12.99 for what they say are $50 to $125 watches. And ... I have to admit when the battery wears out on them, as often as not I simply pick up another watch rather than change the battery. If I like the watch I'll get around to changing the battery later. If not it sits with the dead battery. :hide:

Another good poll question would be how many watches do you have.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Like Dave I'm not a watch wearer necessarily and have learned to rely on communication from my body as to what time it is.....:whistle_lips:

I will wear one when we go out, special occasions and such. For a time I did wear a pocket watch in a case on my belt and that is still my preference when I wear one.

But ....does anyone really know what time it is:yo:

urednecku

Site Supporter
My ex- and my present wife each spent about $200 or $250 on a watch. They each worked fine about a year (or less) til the original battery went out, then had trouble with them. I seem to have best luck with Ironman, about the $20 range. They "take a lickin'... '

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not a big fan of Rolex. They are 'machine made' watches with punched out gears and automated milled rotors. If you want to spend that type of money for a fine watch, get something that is truly hand crafted, with hand cut gears, complicated mechanisms, etc.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
$136 on my Casio Pathfinder Titanium. Time, temp barometric pressure, compass, and it is solar powered.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For myself, never have I spent more that $100. Bought the misses one that cost me about $150 once.

I wear a $49 Timex Indiglo for work and a Wenger/Swiss Army (average cost are $49-$99) for all other occasions. All with hands, never will do a digital. The Indiglo is nice because it has luminious hands and the background can be lit with a push of the set dial.

Cityboy

Banned
I see the poll answers were expanded. Cool. :thumb:

OK.....Who paid more than $5,000 for a watch? And what does 5K+ get you? Must have been a significant amount of gold and maybe a jewell or two in them thar watches.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
Not a big fan of Rolex. They are 'machine made' watches with punched out gears and automated milled rotors. If you want to spend that type of money for a fine watch, get something that is truly hand crafted, with hand cut gears, complicated mechanisms, etc.

I wasn't aware that the Rolexes were machine made. I knew that the Breitlings were hand made. They have a video on their website that shows how they are made. It could be an episode of Modern Marvels on the History channel. It'r really impressive.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Clarification on 'machine made' versus 'man made': Breitling and Rolex both hand assemble their watches, but the gears and parts are both machine cut. On the other hand some brands will actually have guys in the back room with a flat piece of gold and some tiny tools that they use to cut the disks for gears, then drill a hole by hand, then cut the teeth of the gears by hand, etc.

dgl24087

I paid $90 for a Seiko watch in 1988 or 1989. I still wear it today, it is on it's 3rd battery since I purchased it.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I don't wear jewelry. I generally buy a $20 Casio with a metal band. They last 4-5 years until the battery dies or the lens gets so scratched the numbers are hard to read. The various alarm features are handy. If I could just figure out how to turn them off--it goes off at 1:00 AM and 11:00 AM.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... what does 5K+ get you? Must have been a significant amount of gold and maybe a jewell or two in them thar watches.
Basically it buys you complications. On a simple watch $5000 will buy you gold, but not necessarily a gold bracelet, just a gold head. On a complicated watch $5000 will buy stainless steel and an entry level complication. Super complicated watches can easily exceed $100,000 and there are literally dozens of brands/models that are priced above that price point. You can get up to that price range with common brands like a Rolex, but only if they are made of platinum or gold and have diamonds on the band/bezel/face.

There are fashion watches, which I would suggest many of the Rolex models fit into, and then there are truly exclusive brands that build their reputations on their complicated movements, wafer thin movements, etc.

Below is a brand that I love, but don't own. . . Ulysse Nardin, this is probably a $40,000 watch, give or take. They make some truly bizarre watches. The "Freak" has no central axis point to rotate the hands. The Minute Repeater below is available in other designs but is clearly more art than function. They make some great dive watches too.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    186.8 KB · Views: 161

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I did not buy it, but my wife bought me a very nice Seiko for our fifth anniversary. I wear it most of the time if i wear one at all. From my desk right now I can see the time on a desktop thermometer thing, my laptop, and the office phone. My cell phone is on my hip with my "other" watch for when I am not at my desk. I know the wife paid a little over $500 for it if I remember right. There is only one possession that means more to me than the watch and that is the St Christopher medallion she gave me for my birthday the first year we were together. I used to never go anywhere with out a watch, but with my phone... that is still mostly the case. The only reason I don't wear one all the time is that it is not comfortable and unbalanced when I am sittin here typing at my desk. I end up takin it off and it sits here for days.

daedong

As machines can produce more consistent and more accurate parts than hand made I buy the cheapest machine made watch possible.

Ray

Count me in the Rolex Group

my first one....an Air King Date.....

5700AIR-KING-DATE-blu.jpg

I have worn for 28 years and gave it to my Son after having it restored at the Rolex Service Center in Dallas....

My Latest is this one

rolex.jpg

ANd Momma has this one

13_6.jpg

This is my DAILY wear to work watch

RLX3227f.JPG

I love my Rolex's, post regularly on the rolex forums....which are IMMENSLY popular......

I was on my one forum today.....over 516 folks posting and half million posts for the year...so they are ....very active.

Guess I blew the hell out of your 5 grand figger.....but hey.....I dont smoke, quit fishin, dont chase the broads anymore.....(not that I could ketchem ;> )

Dont drink......So I gotta have me somethin besides my woodworkin and metal workin tools.....I appreciate a fine timepiece. I also have around 35 fine ol gold pocketwatches I enjoy.

:coolshade:coolshade:coolshade:coolshade:coolshade:coolshade

Ray

As far as being machine made....not entirely true

Rolex Performance and Innovation

Wilsdorf realized that his watches needed to be extremely durable, in addition to accurate.
Source: melrosejewelers
Jan 05, 2008 02:50:24

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(PRLog.Org)Jan 05, 2008 – Performance and Innovation

Wilsdorf realized that his watches needed to be extremely durable, in addition to accurate. Under his leadership and direction, Rolex made many innovations in either creating the technology or buying patents that made wrist watches dust proof, water proof, and auto winding. Wilsdorf did not do anything in half measure and showcased its performance and advertised the new products in a dramatic manner.

After the world's first truly water-resistant watch was created, the first example of this was illustrated. Two inventors named, Paul Perregaux and Georges Peret, developed a new moisture proof winding stem and button, which they put on the watch cases and on October 30, 1925, filed a patent for the same. Prior to this, the winding stem was situated inside the watches case, and wasn't really practical to the masses as this meant that the case had to be opened everyday to wind. And so Rolex had the world's only moisture proof case, now that the winding stem was outside the watch. From this design the Oyster watch was developed. On October1, 1927, when Mercedes Gleitze swam across the English Channel, she sported a Rolex Oyster. She came forth from a swim that lasted for more than 15 hours, with her Rolex in perfect condition. Wilsdorf capitalized on this and on November 27th of the same year, in London's Daily Mail, he took out a front page ad of Gleitze's picture and her story. Thereafter, the new Oyster was placed in small aquariums, wherever Rolexes were sold, to further exhibit its water resistant capabilities, this was on Wilsdorf's instructions. In fact, Sir Edmund Hillary wore a Rolex when he climbed the Rolex, in 1953.

Stability

In spite of the company being more than 100 years old, Rolex, in order to maintain its stability as the world's best watch, did several innovative things. And so, due to this stability, in the midst of changes that wiped out a number of watch manufacturers, Rolex not only survived, but blossomed. In the 1950's, the quartz watch was invented, which created low cost time pieces. During the 1970’s about half of the watches sold worldwide were structured on this quartz technology. Hong Kong was the largest watch producer. Since its relocation in 1919, Rolex has been located in Switzerland and never used outsourcing which keeps excellent quality control.

Having made a short venture into quartz technology, Rolex stuck to its foundation and continued to market their basic craft, which was considered old in industry standards. A typical quartz watch has around 50 to100 parts compared to a typical Rolex which has around 220 parts and takes almost a year to produce. Combined with a strong brand name, true craftsmanship can still have value – Rolex was a testimony to this fact www.melrosejewelers.com.

Rolex kept up to its name and image, and never ventured out to produce any other products, unlike many other manufacturers of luxury items, who lent their name to various high end products. While temporary profits may have been a gain for these manufacturers, their brand name often diminished. And thus, Rolex is a name synonymous to wristwatches only.

In comparison to many of today's well known watch companies which are owned by the same two or three companies, Rolex never resorted to take shelter under any corporate or conglomerate. These well-known companies took advantage of their corporate resources and were able to promote their individual product lines. In 1960, Wilsdorf left the company to look after a foundation in order to avoid their interests being mixed or combined with those of various different watch companies. Wilsdorf's original vision was that the company would never be bought or publicly traded by a larger company.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As far as being machine made....not entirely true
Which part is untrue. I stated it was machine made, meaning the parts are made by machine. I also stated they were hand assembled.

Ray

OK..........I am a dumnass......did not read that part......I stand.....kerrected.......

;)

dzalphakilo

Banned
And who knows the fastest and easiest way to spot a fake Rolex?

The funniest things you learn when you worked as a waiter at a "high end" restaurant.

Had a girlfriend a long time ago buy me a Rolex. Lost it.

Nothing more expensive than a Timex out of my own pocket.

Ray

I only purchase mine thru authorized Rolex dealers......

No problems....no worries....

My wifes I just had serviced last month......it ran over 19 years and started gaining time......so we sent it to Rolex Repair facility in Dallas. I actually drove to Dallas and delivered it there myself.....got it back 5 weeks later......looks like NEW

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing more expensive than a Timex out of my own pocket.
I think most folks who buy Rolex and other premium brands of watches simply enjoy the craftsmanship, attention to detail, and the mechanical uniqueness of the watches. Many of the premium brands look pretty unassuming to the casual eye. One of my favorite brands is an American brand, called RGM. It is made in Lancaster, PA. They use reworked interiors and modify them to their specs. Many of their varieties look like watches you'd never guess cost over $1000. Some of their watches have very fancy engraved dials, but still are not overly flashy.

You may want to check out their videos and look over the images on their website, one of my favorites is their alarm watch, its available in 2 different versions: http://www.rgmwatches.com/

Pilot Alarm Watch: http://www.rgmwatches.com/110Agmt.html

Classic Alarm Watch: http://www.rgmwatches.com/110As.html

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Rolex is a fine watch ,but since I do not wear a watch anymore its kinda a waste .That's one of my favorite parts about retirement . I jump to no ones time agenda . My son is jumping through his butt to get it . He will be waiting awhile .

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I did have this one:
W7021.jpg

Now i have something like this:

27960037_640.jpg

Each one was under $100
I cant understand paying for a watch over $200. To ME, its like burning money. But I dont have a watch fetish.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I took my watch off several years back when we sold our business. I decided it was time to not worry about time anymore. Once in a while I carry a pocket watch. I seem to have an inherent ability to wake up at whatever time I set my mind to without even an alarm clock and I usually can also tell the correct time during the day within a few minutes like Dave. I never did buy or desire any expensive watches as I seem to be kinda hard on things like that with my hobbies and work that I do....:yum:

I actually hate wearing a watch. I can usually tell the time within about 20 minutes without any kind of clock available. The most important times for me are Lunch Time, Dinner Time and Bed Time. My body is extremely adept at telling me when those times are. :yum:

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
When I was in Iraq it was easy to find knock off Rolexs, Breitlings, Omegas, and etc. One of the vendors on base was selling them and AAFES made him stop so he had a clearance sale. I now have a Rolex Submariner and Daytona, a Breitling and an Omega. They are actually very good quality watches considering I only gave $25 each for them. They are all self winding. Of course my wife ended up with a couple for herself, my mom, dad, brother, grandmother, and a buddy of mine that helped out with things while I was gone.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I went looking for my watch and see Casio has it at the top of their 'Classic' list. They must sell a ton of them. $21.95 suggested retail. The things are dead-on accurate and indestructible. I'm too cheap to pay more for something I'm going to scratch up immediately. I've had at least four of these in the last 20 years. Never have replaced a battery.

I've always carried a wristwatch in my pocket so the face gets pretty scratched up by about the fourth year. At that point it goes in the drawer and I get another.

Twice now I've driven Younger Daughter back to start a new semester in college, then given her my watch when she didn't have an alarm to get up for classes the next day. Next time I saw her I had to swap her an old Casio for the one I wanted back, otherwise she wouldn't give it up! I'm surprised that weeks of daily alarm use doesn't seem to finish off a 4 - 6 year old battery.

Long ago I started figuring how long it delayed my retirement every time I bought some trinket. I started living cheap but comfortable, like sticking to to this cheap model watch that nobody sees in my pocket, and retired years before a lot of my peers.