• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Weasel rear diff brake bands adjustment procedure??

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
I have a 1979 Spryte that has been outfitted with a 2 speed rear differential from a M29 weasel.

I am having difficulty finding the proper procedure for adjusting the brake bands ad linkage. Everything seems to function ok but the left brake is not nearly as effective as the right one and the levers don't match up very well.

How do I go about making the adjustment? Does anyone have a procedure I can follow?

Thanks,

AJ

Snowcat Pat

Huge wing nuts on top of the diff housing. There should be detent washers under the wing nuts to help keep you from over tightening.
-Pat

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Here is a good picture I found that matches what I have exactly.

Brakesasembly.jpg
[/IMG]

I am trying to source new steering bands and find some sort of procedure detailing initial set up and ongoing adjustments.

I went for a shakedown run with the snowcat and lost the ability to turn left. It wasn't very easy to get it back to and loaded on the trailer.

I am pulling the rear diff today to inspect the bands but am quite sure that they need to be replaced.

Any idea what the original lining thickness was or should be?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a good picture I found that matches what I have exactly.

Brakesasembly.jpg
[/IMG]

I am trying to source new steering bands and find some sort of procedure detailing initial set up and ongoing adjustments.

I went for a shakedown run with the snowcat and lost the ability to turn left. It wasn't very easy to get it back to and loaded on the trailer.

I am pulling the rear diff today to inspect the bands but am quite sure that they need to be replaced.

Any idea what the original lining thickness was or should be?

Snowcat pat in Wallace ID. He is a member here or we can but he's closer
Can do them 1/4" thickness was common

Even with one side down you can make left and right turns but you have to back up to get it pointed where you want to go then go for a bit and repoint
Takes for ever but it's easier than walking.

Weasel manual says .020 clearance between band and drum

Hope this all helps happy new year

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Do not use 80-90 the weasel manual says straight non detergent 30W
But the Amsoil power shift 30w work well or the Cat T04

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Pulled apart the rear diff tonight and the brake bands were shot.
20131231_171350.jpg

The rivets started contacting the drums a bit but I'm hoping it will be ok to still use and not have to resurface the drums.
20131231_191709.jpg

I am having a tough time finding new brake bands. Anyone have a source that could provide them quickly?

20131231_171336.jpg

20131231_171238.jpg

20131231_165304.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Try EA Patson Parts And Equipment in anchorage Rod and Wayne have whearhouses of Nos military parts Bought from Drmo over the years.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anacortes is kind of far but I use a realign shop at the port of Tacoma. A auto parts store may be able to send it out.??

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Like I posted earlier either snowcat pat in Wallace Idaho a member here
Or my company can do your bands I don't know why you would want to ship them all the way to Alaska to have them relined ?

We generally turn them around overnight I'm sure snowcat pat would get them done quick also if needed

I maybe wrong but EA Pattson may have finally closed up shop.

As we were leaving town the other night my wife looks over and says "did you see that? Ea Pattson is empty and there are a bunch of uhauls out front"

Hard to find a woman who is so observant, at least about the important things!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I called and talked with Rod a couple of months ago they were open than if they closed up in must have been recently.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Not sure why the pics are gone. I haven't moved or deleted any of them and still have them in my photobucket account.