• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

trivia 9/24

JenKennings

Occupant; CatBird Seat
SUPER Site Supporter

trivia 9/24

DID YOU KNOW...
The first woman to run for U.S. president was Victoria Woodhull, who campaigned for the office in 1872 under the National Woman's Suffrage Association. While women would not be granted the right to vote by a constitutional amendment for nearly 50 years, there were no laws prohibiting a woman from running for the chief executive position.

1. How did Reich marshal Hermann Goering die while in prison?
2. In Irish old wives tales, once married and on the wedding night, which ever one of the newly married pair goes to sleep first will be the first to what?
3. Which countries have land borders with Sweden?
4. What function does the vermiform appendix serve?
5. What mountain in the Caucasus is accredited for being the final resting place for Noah's Ark, as stated in the bible?
6. What Mexican musical ensemble made up primarily of guitars, violins, and trumpets often plays and sings at important events such as weddings and birthdays?
7. The meeting site of penguins is called a what?
8. What year is this, in Roman Numerals ?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
The first U.S. Marine Corps recruiting station was established in a bar.

1. Suicide by poison
2. Die
3. Norway and Finland
4. None
5. Mt. Ararat
6. Mariachi
7. Rookery
8. MMXII
TRUTH !!
The Tun Tavern, in Philadelphia, to be exact.
In 1775, Samuel Nicholas, a delegate to the 2nd Continental Congress, was named as the first Marine Commandant, and given the rank of Major.
He went to his favorite tavern, and he immediately declared it a “Recruitment Center”. He appointed the Tavern’s owner “Chief Marine Recruiter”, and made the man his first Captain.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Aced this one.

Addendum to #4: "None that we know about". I don't believe ot never had a purpose; we just haven't figured it out
with any certainty..

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, yes, yes. After struggling for the past week or so I finally got questions and subjects that I like and know something about.

Aced it. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

mak2

I knew truth or crap, and actaully a few other ones. The rest of the story is The Captain recruited the first Sgt then the Sgt recruited the first private and started telling him about the Old Corps.

Probably not funny to non Marines.