• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Burning alcohol?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've heard you can burn alcohol in an oil furnace. Is that correct? If so, anyone know the mixture or can you burn it straight?

Can you add alcohol to old gas with ethanol in it to bring it back to life?

I got a bit of alcohol and trying to think of what to do with it.

Kane

You can give it to me. I usually mix my alcohol with a splash of water and a twist. But I guess for sure that that won't burn in your furnace.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You can but, I wouldn't!

Some alcohol in diesel will work in motors but not sure I would test it in a burner.

What alcohol does in old gas is absorb the water. But these days gas isn't really gasoline anymore. You could add High octane gasoline to the old stuff, but alcohol????:w00t2:

I suggest that if you try this,,,,,use it in a motor you don't plan to keep.

Me I use old gas to kill weeds in the driveway.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, you can burn it with no problem as long as it is diluted about 10-1 with fuel oil. I have burned a lot of nasty flammable stuff over the years in oil burners.You sure don't want to burn it straight as the flame shape and length will be different than just oil would produce. Today's modern combustion chambers won't take the bigger hotter fire. It could also wipe out the pump.