• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What is the best scenic drive

daedong

I have driven many a scenic drive but my favorite by a long shot is this one what is yours

http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject.cfm/objectid.00009762-ED40-1A7D-805680C476A90000/

The Great Ocean Road

1115258_350.jpg
Recognised as one of the world’s most scenic drives, the Great Ocean Road follows the stunning coastline of Victoria’s south-west. Stretching 243 kilometres from Torquay, just south of Geelong, to Allansford, just east of Warrnambool, the road winds along cliff tops, up to breathtaking headlands, down onto the edge of beaches, across river estuaries and through lush rainforests offering panoramic views of Bass Strait and the Southern Ocean at every turn.
Spectacular vistas
The stretch between Lorne and Apollo Bay is considered by many to be the most picturesque section of the Great Ocean Road. The highway is carved into sheer cliffs that drop away into the ocean, offering commanding views of the waves swelling and crashing onto the rocks and beaches below.
Twelve Apostles
Outside Apollo Bay the road winds through the centre of the Great Otway National Park with its beautiful untouched rainforests, before returning to hug the coast for the entire length of the Port Campbell National Park. This is the most famous section of the Great Ocean Road featuring an amazing collection of rock formations known as the Twelve Apostles which have been carved out of the headland by the fierce waves of the southern ocean.

Scenic lookouts

Check out some of Victoria's most spectacular views from lookout points and viewing platforms along the Great Ocean Road.

more >

Twelve Apostles

See these spectacular rock stacks that rise up to 70 metres from the Southern Ocean. View them from lookouts between Apollo Bay and Port Campbell.

more >

Building the Great Ocean Road

The road was built after World War I by returned servicemen and stands as a memorial to those who served in the 1914 - 1918 war.

more >

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It can be quite scary at times but I'm going with "The Road to Hana". (Maui, Hawaii).
About the road.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Highway

The reason I say it can be scary (From the Wikipedia page)
Although Hāna is only about 52 miles (84 km) from Kahului, a typical trip to Hāna takes about three hours, as the road is very winding and narrow and passes over 59 bridges, 46 of which are only one-lane bridges, requiring oncoming traffic to yield and occasionally causing brief traffic jams if two vehicles meet head-on. There are approximately 620 curves along Highway 360 from just east of Kahului to Hana, virtually all of it through lush, tropical rainforest. Many of the concrete and steel bridges date back to 1910 and all but one are still in use.

620 curves and 59 rickety, mainly single-lane bridges in a 52 mile span...
That's enough to make you sick but not mentioned in that description is that there's very few areas with shoulders on the road. In many places, it's your lane, maybe a guard-rail (and like the bridges, if there was one, it's circa 1910) and then a several hundred foot cliff dumping you into the ocean or rocks below.

Some pictures. It's amazing the things you see.
http://gohawaii.about.com/od/mauiphotos/ig/Road-to-Hana-and-Beyond-Photos/

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I found the Road to Hana to be a little annoying . . . oh wait . . . I must have been stuck behind you the whole way . . . darn looky loos driving 5mph!

:whistle:

I like the drive up Hwy 14 through the Columbia River Gorge, you go from Douglas Firs to arid brush lands in about 3-4 hours with lots of natural beauty along the way.

The Oregon Coast and Northern California Coast roads are also very nice.