• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Daedong's (Vin) trek across the US

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Jim, welcome to the forum!
Vin - did you realize when this started you'd become an ambassador and recruitment officer for the forum? ;)

daedong

Welcome to the forum Jim!
We have been without internet connection for a couple of days while we were in Yosemite. Yosemite is absolutely stunning, an amazing place. It's just a pity that there is so many people there, and I am still getting used to the crowds. We will probably be out of contact again for a few days as we head down to Death Valley and across to Las Vegas. Tonight we have decided not to "rough it", and are staying in a motel in a small town called Bishop, which has a stunning background of the Sierra's.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
The Snow Trac may have actually been in Bridgeport, next town up...

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Vin! Dont forget to stop in the town of Crystal! Its on your way to Vegas from Death Valley. Also before you get to Crystal there is Amagosa Valley. Stop and get fuel on the North East side of the highway.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
...and when you go into the convenience store....DO NOT walk down the red hallway! :pat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yosemite is absolutely stunning, an amazing place. It's just a pity that there is so many people there, and I am still getting used to the crowds. We will probably be out of contact again for a few days as we head down to Death Valley and across to Las Vegas. Tonight we have decided not to "rough it", and are staying in a motel in a small town called Bishop, which has a stunning background of the Sierra's.

Yosemite is stunning. :thumb:

Thanks for the update Vin!!!!!

daedong

Sorry to have missed you Snowcat, we left Bishop Tuesday morning and are now in Las Vegas. It's a shame you weren't a day earlier, or us a day later! We spent last night at Whitney portal. The scenery around there was amazing too. I'll try to sort out some photos when I get time. We have seen some amazing scenery. Coming through Death Valley was another incredible sight. I have never experienced such barren yet hilly terrain. It is raining at the moment in Las Vegas, not sure that that happens very often.
Off to do some dough! I'll show those yankee croupier's :smile:

Cityboy

Banned
Sounds like a great trip so far. Less than two weeks till you guys pass through Oklahoma City! :clap:Send us a PM as soon as you know what time you'll likely be here so we can coordinate with Rback & Princess and maybe Erick for the lunch get together on the 29th.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Sounds like a great trip so far. Less than two weeks till you guys pass through Oklahoma City! :clap:Send us a PM as soon as you know what time you'll likely be here so we can coordinate with Rback & Princess and maybe Erick for the lunch get together on the 29th.

Yeah! What he said! He's got my cell number and there will be two laptops with us anyway. Call or email...

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Look at that smile! :mrgreen: There's a man who appreciates a piece of finely engineered machinery! :thumb:

Yup, hooked up with Vin and the Mrs. this morning. The cheap bastaad scammed a couple cups of cappucino off me. :glare: Anyway, he's on his way to Austin, TX. He probably won't make it all the way there tonight, but he should get pretty close.

Attachments

• P9220079.jpg
    P9220079.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 200

daedong

Thanks for the coffee's Bob! And thanks for showing us through the university and explaining about the work you are doing. We have made it to a place called Lamesa. It was a really interesting drive. First through the hills heading east, and then seeing all the oil wells stuck in the middle of sorghum and cotton crops.

BTW you really are quite photogenic Bob!
BobP009.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the coffee's Bob! And thanks for showing us through the university and explaining about the work you are doing. We have made it to a place called Lamesa. It was a really interesting drive. First through the hills heading east, and then seeing all the oil wells stuck in the middle of sorghum and cotton crops.

BobP009.jpg
Ohhhhhhhhh..
Thanks for sharing that Vin....:mrgreen:
Aww you all look so lovely:wub:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Hmmmm, I'm thinking kind of the Ron Rifkin look from that photo. Of course, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :confused2: :thumb:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>

Dammit! :hammer: Well, at least it was low-res and everyone was somewhat spared. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, I'm thinking kind of the Ron Rifkin look from that photo. Of course, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :confused2: :thumb:

Looking up Ron Rifkin now....I'm not gonna like it, am I? :blink:

Found him. What the heck? :confused:

Attachments

• MV5BMTk3MjE1MjQ5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzE2MDE1._V1._SX274_SY400_.jpg
    MV5BMTk3MjE1MjQ5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzE2MDE1._V1._SX274_SY400_.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Jim_In_Sunset

We have made it to a place called Lamesa. It was a really interesting drive. First through the hills heading east, and then seeing all the oil wells stuck in the middle of sorghum and cotton crops.

Vin, you still have about 350 miles to Austin. It will be interesting to watch as things start greening up while going east. If it weren't for irrigation, Lamesa would be brown year-round.

If you want a unique way to tour Austin, I recommend one of the Segway tours. Kathy and I did it last year and had a great time. The tour is about 3 hours long.

http://www.glidingrevolution.com/

Passingtime2

What's the next direction from OKC?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Vin, looks like you guys are having a good trip so far. Keep it up!

Also, don't let Bobcat fool you into believing that his Krusti is what a real snowcat looks like.........

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Dammit! :hammer: Well, at least it was low-res and everyone was somewhat spared. :rolleyes:

Looking up Ron Rifkin now....I'm not gonna like it, am I? :blink:

Found him. What the heck? :confused:

What were you expecting, Bobcat Goldthwait? I was thinking a slightly younger version and no glasses when the picture somehow conjured a resemblence for me, but now think I like this version! :rolf2:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
What were you expecting, Bobcat Goldthwait? I was thinking a slightly younger version and no glasses when the picture somehow conjured a resemblence for me, but now think I like this version! :rolf2:
Akshulayyy.. Bob sorta reminds me of that guy from Law and Order SVU and Whasshisname from The Office.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• 180px-Christopher_Meloni.jpg
    180px-Christopher_Meloni.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 131
  • michael-scott-steve-carell.png
    michael-scott-steve-carell.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 135