• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I want to buy a cow , Mr. Allen ...another Dr. rum story

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
My Dr. Rum stories are all true events that have happened to me :

I will ever forget that day . My lead caretaker in Panama came to the house and asked permission to speak to me in Private . I invited him upstairs on the deck and as we sat and having a cup of coffee , he suddenly looking nervous , informed me that he wanted to buy a cow .

A cow? I asked ???? Why ?
"Because I can make much money making baby cows" . He informed me that a friend and him wanted a 3 year old young bull so they could charge the local cow owners a fee to breed their females . Juan has been the greatest employee I have ever had the pleasure of knowing . The price for the prized cow was $500 , I was told . He needed a loan . Which I knew would never be repaid .lol

I told Juan that I did not want a cow on the property and pooping all over my lawns and beaches . He said they had it all figured out and the cow would stay at his friends house .

I could not refuse this man . I hoped that he had thought everything through .
Shortly after that I left for the United States but I did inform my secretary to issue Juan a check for $500 for one cow , a young bull .
He was delighted and left the same day to go buy his cow .
They moved the animal in a dug out canoe . They tied the animals legs together and tipped it over on its back for transport to another island . All was good .It was funny as hell watching a cow in a canoe with 4 legs sticking straight up and bellowing for all it was worth while they paddled around .

When they reached their destination they untied the cow to lead it to its new quickly built pasture . Now this bull had decided that whatever these two men were up to , it was not good . He started bucking . Two men weighing 125 pounds apiece vs a 500 plus pound pissed off bovine with attitude .
They held on quite a while . They also went for quite a ride , Straight into the jungle . The bull has yet to be found . The island is 8 miles long and a mile wide . The skin has slowly regrown in the places it was rubbed off as Juan and his friend were dragged behind the animal . Juan has decided that he does not want to own a cow . I am out $500 and never got to see what I purchased again .:unsure:

Sometime you just gotta love life and laugh . God Bless those boys , I have to laugh every time I think about that day !:clap:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: I can laugh with you Al, and it didn't cost me anything. :thumb: I can just see them getting drug by that pissed off bull. :yum: Thanks Al. :tiphat:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
sounds like some of the eskimo ingenuity I see out here, when I go to the villages. you would be amazed at what kind of service a snow machine ,or 4 wheeler can be pressed in to.

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Hobbling works wonders! Five hundred pounds or two thousand pounds, doesn't matter. Can't run, when you can barely walk. God bless ya for giving him the 500.00. Sorry ya never got it back!! Glad that you can laugh about it. Money isn't everything, but it sure does buy groceries. Wonder where the young bull got off too? Small island. Lots of locals? Do ya think it became "hamburger"? Thanks for sharing Juan's adventure into "ranching". LOL

God bless,
Tony

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hobbling works wonders! Five hundred pounds or two thousand pounds, doesn't matter. Can't run, when you can barely walk. God bless ya for giving him the 500.00. Sorry ya never got it back!! Glad that you can laugh about it. Money isn't everything, but it sure does buy groceries. Wonder where the young bull got off too? Small island. Lots of locals? Do ya think it became "hamburger"? Thanks for sharing Juan's adventure into "ranching". LOL

God bless,
Tony

I know that island well . It is the type of place Indiana Jones would be filmed in . Thick jungle , Rain Forest ,caves and lots of nasty bad critters and snakes that can kill 10 men with the venon of one bite . Rumor has it that Henry Morgan hid gold on this island when he walked over land and attacked Panama City in the 1500's . The interior is the same as it was a 1000 years ago .

Its not worth me ever setting foot on it again for a $500 bull . Do I think that bull is still alive ? I would not be surprised .

marchplumber

Site Supporter
Any serious predators there? Snakes and such can bring down MUCH larger critters in self defense or if surprised. Yet, if cow was local, would be aware of "hazards" of the local environment. Would make an interesting "hunt". From what I remember, I do NOT like jungle rain forest. Would I go back, NOT for 500.00 either! ROFLMAO!

God bless,
Tony