• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DMC 1450 s/n D1C-1501 - Custom Build - by Nikson

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some updated pictures, I know some been itching to see...

p.s. still havent driven it out of the garage, although its been started few times, and I dont see any reason to believe that it shouldn't drive... :)
Exhaust hasnt been put back on yet (guy is taking a bit too much time), thus I dont want to run all the fumes into the actual cab, as well as burn up any paints/wires, etc with exhaust gases.

As soon as video uploads, it will be on my Youtube channel as well.

Enjoy!

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520001.JPG

Shovels & Side lighting mounted...

Stickers make the snowcat lighter by 1000lbs at least... :yum:

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520003.JPG

Front lighting by Rigid Industries
Dually XL version for the sides (driving lights) & 20" lightbar

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520004.JPG

STP brand noise deadening material / over the fuel tank shelf

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520005.JPG

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520007.JPG

redone fuel supply line / got rid of the expensive version of the flex-hose for fuel

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520008.JPG

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520010.JPG

Rigid's SR series for sides / flood pattern (although should have gone diffused probably)

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520011.JPG

sides/rear lowers were done this way - hand made some custom brackets to protect the lights from been "broken" either by boot or just other "friendly" fire... LOL

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520014.JPG

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520015.JPG

rear top lighting - I wanted something cool looking - plus useful rear white light for backing up and load/unload, as well as a grab bar for those buddies that might want to stand in the back while riding

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520016.JPG

another shot of the shelf over the fuel tank

2015-02-02%2520update%2520february%2520017.JPG

I'll post the video as soon as it uploads

Cheers and LET IT SNOW in the PNW now... West wants some too...

Nikson!! Looks great! Are you building rear camper cab for this machine too? Also thank you for the information on the shifter! I really appreciate it. Looks awesome!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson!! Looks great! Are you building rear camper cab for this machine too? Also thank you for the information on the shifter! I really appreciate it. Looks awesome!

No problem, I do what I can.

Rear camper it might still be, but at this point I've decided to just build a 6 person rear cab, that will go on the back instead of that "extended cab" part behind the roll bar (hopefully that made sense).

When you are talking about the rear camper cab though - are you referring to the cab that would be like it was on the 1402, removable with camper jacks type setup?

watch

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a video wrap up update in case someone prefers, I know for the most part my Youtube channel subscribers and other bloggers like to watch rather than videos

p.s. for some reason I couldnt embed the video - so you get just the link
watch

http://youtu.be/AgGWANsvBTA

watch

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
we missed you at the jamboree

Thanks Jim,

I missed seeing you guys as well... Hopefully next year will work out and I'll have something to bring along with me.

I'm still hoping to see a lot of you all in April on Mt.Hood :wink::wink::wink:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Long awaited chance to see it "outside" from a distance instead of upclose in the garage...

Get a good perspective on what it looks like ACTUALLY :)

Enjoy!

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25282%2529.jpg

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25281%2529.jpg

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
had to take it out for a test drive...

night before Vlad & I (same Vlad that was at the Jamboree last year in Leavenworth for those who remember him) - so - we found some snow up in our neck of the woods, funniest thing is none of the other fellas in our local 4x4 adventure group have been able to find it, and were complaining that they had to "winter camp" on top of grass areas instead of actual snowpack...

Irregardless, we took on the task of finding the snow on Monday night (Cascades in Mt.Hood area got at least 6in dusting), thus returned home late into the night, hit the pillow for few hours and I was up at 7am loading up the cat and finishing up some of the last pointers on my inspection pre-trip checklist...

Fluids - check, extra necessary parts - check, tools - check, etc... off we go!

Loaded up and head out...

Here are some pictures

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25284%2529.jpg

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25286%2529.jpg

Little flashlight photo painting on long exposure shots...

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25283%2529.jpg

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25287%2529.jpg

On the way home, stopped at the weigh station - this is what the trailer with the cat weigh, not sure on the trailer, I would assume its pushing around 2500lbs probably, so the cat now is about 3300lbs I would guess, although I could be off on the trailer's weight. Its a lowboy, steel plated bed - pretty heavy - so it might be even heavier than 2500lbs I guess (or not)...

Test run went well, since we didnt really know what to expect... All systems ran as they should, adjustments were made to the track's tension, brake bands, lighting, and few other accessories, notes taken, etc. - I think I will need another test run before I consider it "done & ready for full use" (or sale :) :) :)

One problem that we did have to deal with - was overheading on the engine, seems like the belt/pulled driven fan (original setup) was providing that needed cooling for such slow moving vehicle, vs the electrical one that i've installed at this time, so that will have to be reconfigured, and than just one more final test run before I finish up the upholstery on the interior...

Otherwise - its done and I'm almost glad that these past 4 months went by so productive, need to get back to work and make some money for a snow trip or two this season in the Cascades...

Until next time,

Nikson

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
had to take it out for a test drive...

night before Vlad & I (same Vlad that was at the Jamboree last year in Leavenworth for those who remember him) - so - we found some snow up in our neck of the woods, funniest thing is none of the other fellas in our local 4x4 adventure group have been able to find it, and were complaining that they had to "winter camp" on top of grass areas instead of actual snowpack...

Irregardless, we took on the task of finding the snow on Monday night (Cascades in Mt.Hood area got at least 6in dusting), thus returned home late into the night, hit the pillow for few hours and I was up at 7am loading up the cat and finishing up some of the last pointers on my inspection pre-trip checklist...

Fluids - check, extra necessary parts - check, tools - check, etc... off we go!

Loaded up and head out...

Here are some pictures

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25284%2529.jpg

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25286%2529.jpg

Little flashlight photo painting on long exposure shots...

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25283%2529.jpg

2015-02-10%2520Test%2520drive%2520%25287%2529.jpg

On the way home, stopped at the weigh station - this is what the trailer with the cat weigh, not sure on the trailer, I would assume its pushing around 2500lbs probably, so the cat now is about 3300lbs I would guess, although I could be off on the trailer's weight. Its a lowboy, steel plated bed - pretty heavy - so it might be even heavier than 2500lbs I guess (or not)...

Test run went well, since we didnt really know what to expect... All systems ran as they should, adjustments were made to the track's tension, brake bands, lighting, and few other accessories, notes taken, etc. - I think I will need another test run before I consider it "done & ready for full use" (or sale :) :) :)

One problem that we did have to deal with - was overheading on the engine, seems like the belt/pulled driven fan (original setup) was providing that needed cooling for such slow moving vehicle, vs the electrical one that i've installed at this time, so that will have to be reconfigured, and than just one more final test run before I finish up the upholstery on the interior...

Otherwise - its done and I'm almost glad that these past 4 months went by so productive, need to get back to work and make some money for a snow trip or two this season in the Cascades...

Until next time,

Nikson

I had the same problem with my cj-5 I thaught the fan was too close as you could see fan marks in the radiator I replaced it with an electric fan from napa and had the same problem with over heating when on the beach or running in low range on the tundra. I have since changed out to a belt drive fan modified to it wont contact my core and it runs nice and cool now . I wished I could find a clutch activated fan for my 380 ford diesel on the Thiokol as that fan makes a lot of noise.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you narrow your belts, Or is your trailer wide?

I can't fit my imp a similar trailer.

eduardtmb

Nik, your energy causes respect!!! I am struck!
Николай, это вызывает огромное уважение...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowtrac Nome said:
I had the same problem with my cj-5 I thaught the fan was too close as you could see fan marks in the radiator I replaced it with an electric fan from napa and had the same problem with over heating when on the beach or running in low range on the tundra. I have since changed out to a belt drive fan modified to it wont contact my core and it runs nice and cool now . I wished I could find a clutch activated fan for my 380 ford diesel on the Thiokol as that fan makes a lot of noise.

I'm going to give it a try with the ol' mechanical fan, seems like a proper option...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did you narrow your belts, Or is your trailer wide?

I can't fit my imp a similar trailer.

No, its an ST version of the 1450 (tracks are 26 or whatever it was inches wide) and I'm not sure on the trailer, just a regular tandem axle trailer, fits right between the wheel-wells...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys,

Now just have left - wrap up the interior and put back all the nifty handles - shmandles, LOL...

Seems like the cooling issue that came up on the test run - has been solved by putting back the factory pulley driven fan... All falls in its place.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that thing seems to preform pretty well if I had to have an imp your platform is what I would want oc-12 and inline six

tomelroy

looking at your build pics i noticed you do not have a fan shroud for the radiator. I think you should build one. It may solve your overheat problem. You might be able to keep the electric fan with a shroud.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
looking at your build pics i noticed you do not have a fan shroud for the radiator. I think you should build one. It may solve your overheat problem. You might be able to keep the electric fan with a shroud.
no shroud since it was part of the electric fan,

as of day after the test, i've installed the factory fan back onto the waterpump pulley... seems to stay cool, and it fits together with the electrical one.

both together - work great, no issues with overheating.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
nicely done, looking forward to seeing it in person, again, nice work and happy for you, you did sure did a lot of work and it shows, well done ! ! !

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
nicely done, looking forward to seeing it in person, again, nice work and happy for you, you did sure did a lot of work and it shows, well done ! ! !

Well, you'll see it at Timberline for sure... unless I'll swing by with it at Tuckerville... :)

Cheers

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well,

finally had the time to check on things... Got the factory fan back in its spot.

Ran the motor in 3 modes: idle / 1000rpms / 2000 rpms... gauges never went higher than 190F, and could see how it would up and down temp levels due to the openning of the thermostat.

During the whole test ran it with the radiator cap off, and never saw any "steam" or excess heat come either... so I am guessing that cooling issue is solved.

At the same time, loosened up the brake bands on the rear end, I'm guessing I've had them a bit over, thus causing the drag on the rear end (and tracks), thus during the first test, the engine was running under the load as thou it was towing a heavy trailer...

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
nik you have done a nice job, I do like the cab. now I want to see the camper unit you have planned and are you going to stock the wet bar with vodka and dr rum.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
nik you have done a nice job, I do like the cab. now I want to see the camper unit you have planned and are you going to stock the wet bar with vodka and dr rum.

The only thing - who's gonna buy it due to that specific option - Its more for an adventurist like myself, but problem is that most of folks like me wont have the $$$ to buy it from me when i put it up for sale... :( :( :(